Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

The Orioles/Rangers game was rained out tonight. So I was flipping through the guide to find something to watch. When I got to MASN (my RSN) which is the channel the game was suppose to be on the guide now says "Rangers @ Orioles-Rain Out". It is the first time I have seen the guide update like that and am kind of surprised by it. So I am just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

I haven't seen that before. The opportunity doesn't arise that often. BUt none the less i haven't.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

I haven't seen that before. The opportunity doesn't arise that often. BUt none the less i haven't.

Ok thanks for the reply.

The reason I ask is because I wonder if there is a way to update the guide for when things run over.

#4 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

The reason I ask is because I wonder if there is a way to update the guide for when things run over.

That's exactly what I was thinking after I read your first post. I imagine a day when live events are recorded to the exact proper length every time. That would be awesome.

And no, I haven't seen the guide be updated for rain-outs or other similar events. Very cool, though.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,536 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

I have seen that on and off since I got DirecTV back in 95. It was done religiously on the EI channels back in the day.

They do have a way to update the guide data (watch closely on an HR10 and you see overlay data when the guide is painted the first time very often).

The issues with program overruns:

- Unless it is automated from the source, that is a lot of data to (mis)manage.
- I don't know if the updates would update the end time of your recordings. That depends on what they actually trigger in the box(es).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

The Orioles/Rangers game was rained out tonight. So I was flipping through the guide to find something to watch. When I got to MASN (my RSN) which is the channel the game was suppose to be on the guide now says "Rangers @ Orioles-Rain Out". It is the first time I have seen the guide update like that and am kind of surprised by it. So I am just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this.

Yes, I've seen it, albeit rarely. Generally in cases where the game was called off well in advance.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#7 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:59 PM

They are somehow able to flip the switch fairly quickly when a game ends on Sunday Ticket or Extra Innings. The D* logo and elevator music comes on shortly after the game ends. But my DVR will continue to record it. Would be nice if the DVR would get the signal to stop recording. Is it high on my list? No, but would be nice in the future.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...