Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I switch?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   -copyguy-

-copyguy-

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

I've been a D* user since '95. I'm now looking to go to an HD setup (finally, a new TV!). I've currently got a DirecTivo unit that I've been really happy with. I realize that I'll have to lose my Tivo software in order to go with a <U>new</U> receiver.

Anyhow, after being a loyal subscriber for 12 years, it seems that I still need to pay $299 for the privelege of leasing a D* HD DVR.

Dish would be happy to take me on as a new user at a much lower cost, but I don't know how they stack up against DirecTV.

I don't subscribe to any of the sports packs or premium movie channels. Pretty much we just watch the Major Networks (we get ZERO OTA reception), Discovery, TLC, HGTV, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nick, G4, Spike, Sci-Fi, ESPN, and Speed.

I saw the great comparison of HD DVRs that has been started and after that, I wonder why I shouldn't just switch to Dish. With neither of the companies offering a Tivo based solution, it doesn't really matter.

I'm just looking for some input on this. I'm not looking to start a "DirecTV is just better, period" or "Dish rules!" flame war, I'm looking for some real input, mainly on the HD side of things, but also in customer experience and other issues.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:02 AM

copyguy,

The switch is up to you. But since you would not be bluffing, Tell them what you want or you are going. I called Monday to order a second HR20 and told them that I did not want to pay for it. Had a number of issues with the first one and before I found this site and they transferred me to a "Win Back" dept. Retold my story and I have an HR20 being delivered today, hopefully, and it only cost me $21 for shipping. Why I'm paying for shipping if the guy has to deliver it, I don't understand but it is better than full price.

So hopefully you'll have some luck that way. And if you don't have any luck with one CSR, call back and try again.

And hopefully my HR20 will be here in the next 3 hours.

Good Luck
Dave

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

From your viewing habits either service would be fine for you. When you call D* to close your account they might make you a nice offer, it wouldn't hurt to hear what they say and then make your final decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...