Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Status of HDMI

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ctsmith

ctsmith

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

In version 1.3 of the excellent review of undocumented HR20 install tips, it is mentioned to avoid HDMI. Is this still an issue with this receiver? Does it also apply to the non-DVR version?

Thanks,
Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:35 AM

Avoid HDMI?

In the tips/tricks here?

There is no reason to avoid HDMI...
HDMI issues have been pretty much resolved for almost all makes/models

There are a few stragglers (and if you happen to have issues, please post it with your make/model of your TV)...

As for the H20 (non-dvr)... there are still some issues, until the next software update completely roles out.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   racingminnieb

racingminnieb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

Avoid HDMI?

In the tips/tricks here?

There is no reason to avoid HDMI...
HDMI issues have been pretty much resolved for almost all makes/models

There are a few stragglers (and if you happen to have issues, please post it with your make/model of your TV)...

As for the H20 (non-dvr)... there are still some issues, until the next software update completely roles out.

Hi, I am a Newb here, I have a scenario where HDMI did not work well. The installer came to my house and hooked up the HR20-100 receiver to my Samsung DLP T5687 with component cables. I did not have a 5 LNB dish hooked up at the time. The DVR worked great. After a day or so I hooked up the HDMI cable and removed the component cable. Still no problems. The next day I had the 5 LNB dish installed and was unable to get past the set up screen on the receiver. The installer rechecked all cable connection and found nothing wrong. He determined that it must be a bad receiver. After, he left I decided to reinstall the component cable and try set up again. I was able to complete the setup, however I could not receive several HD channels and one tuner kept cutting out. Once Set up was complete I reinstalled the HDMI cable and removed the component cable. The installer returned the next day and decided to readjust my dish and recheck my connections. After several tries he was unable to fix the problem and promised to return the next day with a new receiver. He arrived with the HR21-700 today, and tried to install it through the HDMI cable. He as unable to get through set up . I suggested that he use the component cables and he was able to complete the setup. He continued to have the same problems with the signal even through the component cable and decided to change out my LNB, and reconfigure several of my wires connected to my multiswitch. Once he reconfigured the switch I received the signal with no problems. We disconnected the component cable and reinstalled the HDMI. We found that the tv does not like to use 480 i resolution through the HDMI. The tv works great on all other resolutions. I have determined through my experience that the set up screen must use 480i and for some reason my tv does not like using this resolution and unfortunately you will have to begin your set up with the component cable installed and then switch it out later. Also, be sure that you set your display up so you are not using 480i. I hope this helps someone else out.

#4 OFFLINE   cruise350

cruise350

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hi, I am a Newb here, I have a scenario where HDMI did not work well. The installer came to my house and hooked up the HR20-100 receiver to my Samsung DLP T5687 with component cables. I did not have a 5 LNB dish hooked up at the time. The DVR worked great. After a day or so I hooked up the HDMI cable and removed the component cable. Still no problems. The next day I had the 5 LNB dish installed and was unable to get past the set up screen on the receiver. The installer rechecked all cable connection and found nothing wrong. He determined that it must be a bad receiver. After, he left I decided to reinstall the component cable and try set up again. I was able to complete the setup, however I could not receive several HD channels and one tuner kept cutting out. Once Set up was complete I reinstalled the HDMI cable and removed the component cable. The installer returned the next day and decided to readjust my dish and recheck my connections. After several tries he was unable to fix the problem and promised to return the next day with a new receiver. He arrived with the HR21-700 today, and tried to install it through the HDMI cable. He as unable to get through set up . I suggested that he use the component cables and he was able to complete the setup. He continued to have the same problems with the signal even through the component cable and decided to change out my LNB, and reconfigure several of my wires connected to my multiswitch. Once he reconfigured the switch I received the signal with no problems. We disconnected the component cable and reinstalled the HDMI. We found that the tv does not like to use 480 i resolution through the HDMI. The tv works great on all other resolutions. I have determined through my experience that the set up screen must use 480i and for some reason my tv does not like using this resolution and unfortunately you will have to begin your set up with the component cable installed and then switch it out later. Also, be sure that you set your display up so you are not using 480i. I hope this helps someone else out.

That's not a problem with HDMI it is a Samsung problem. Most of the models do not support the 480i through either HD connection component or HDMI. I have an older rear projection Sammy and I wouldn't see a setup screen unless I used the s-video connection.
1 HR21-100= HDMI direct to Sharp Aqous 52D82U LCD, Networked Wireless Bridge
1 HR22-100= HDMI direct to Panasonic 42" Plasma, Networked Wireless Game Adapter,Slingbox Classic
1 HR21-200= HDMI direct to Vizio LC420XVT, Wired Direct to Router, Slingbox Pro HD Connect
1 HR21-700= HDMI direct to Sharp 19" LCD/DVD HDTV, not networked
1 HR 20-700=HDMI 32" Vizio
1 HR20-100=In the Motorhome

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

Agreed. You have something goofy elsewhere in your system. HDMI compatibility with early receivers (HDMI 1.1) does not come and go. Either it works or it doesn't and resolution has never been the issue. If HDMI is going to crap out and not give you a picture, it won't on any resolution.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   flgregg

flgregg

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:42 AM

That's not a problem with HDMI it is a Samsung problem. Most of the models do not support the 480i through either HD connection component or HDMI. I have an older rear projection Sammy and I wouldn't see a setup screen unless I used the s-video connection.

+1

I had same problem w/older Sammy that disappeared with new Sony Xbr

#7 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

+1

I had same problem w/older Sammy that disappeared with new Sony Xbr

Even the new Samsungs only support 480p and above on the HDMI input.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...