Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1 HR20 - Two TV's : Newbie ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maldini

maldini

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hi all,

Next week the installer will be coming to move me from the HR10-250 to the HR20.

In reading some of the material in this forum, I saw that the HR20 can be used to drive two tv's.

I can't find a link though that shows me how to do this along with what type of splitters I would need to purchase etc.

If you have a link, please post. Thanx!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

You can do this by feeding the composite + audio outputs to a RF modulator and running coax from there to a second TV. You can also run a long cable from a set of outputs to a second TV. The same programming will appear on all outputs.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

Welcome to the forums, maldini! :welcome_s

So much depends on what the two TVs support and how far away they are from each other. (And how hard it is to run cable...)

I have two HR20s in my home theatre that are driving the TV directly via component and then feeding into an RF modulator so all the other TVs can watch. It wasn't hard to feed another channel into my internal distribution system.

I've also toyed with the idea of feeding the bedroom HR20 not only into the bedroom, but also the bathroom TV so watching the same show with the same timing is easier. (HDTVs do tend to vary in the delay as they manipulate the signal for display.) For this the bedroom would likely be HDMI and the bath component. Thankfully there is a common wall so cable runs wouldn't be too long.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   maldini

maldini

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

You can do this by feeding the composite + audio outputs to a RF modulator and running coax from there to a second TV. You can also run a long cable from a set of outputs to a second TV. The same programming will appear on all outputs.

thanks for the info.

Since I would like to hook up a second HD TV, how long can the HDMI or component outputs be run before the signal starts to lose integrity?

I assume their are no inexpensive wireless solutions yet for transmitting HDMI/component but I could be wrong...

#5 OFFLINE   maldini

maldini

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

Welcome to the forums, maldini! :welcome_s

So much depends on what the two TVs support and how far away they are from each other. (And how hard it is to run cable...)

I have two HR20s in my home theatre that are driving the TV directly via component and then feeding into an RF modulator so all the other TVs can watch. It wasn't hard to feed another channel into my internal distribution system.

I've also toyed with the idea of feeding the bedroom HR20 not only into the bedroom, but also the bathroom TV so watching the same show with the same timing is easier. (HDTVs do tend to vary in the delay as they manipulate the signal for display.) For this the bedroom would likely be HDMI and the bath component. Thankfully there is a common wall so cable runs wouldn't be too long.

Cheers,
Tom

thanks for the welcome!

I think the run is going to be tough because I have no real access point to run the cables (home theater is in basement and would love to put a TV in my poker room which is offset from the home theater in another part of the basement).

The ceilings are all finished and thats really the only point that connects the two rooms that I could run the cables.

After thinking through this more, perhaps I will simply set up the old HR10-250 and let that drive the other TV. I have 4 total cables coming down from the dish, 1 for the family room, 2 for the HR20 and the last one could be used to feed the soon to be lonely HR10-250.

#6 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:47 PM

Complete instructions are in this thread:

Connecting The HR20 to Multiple TVs

This and much more are in the HR20 FAQ.

- Craig

#7 OFFLINE   DrrD

DrrD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

thanks for the info.

Since I would like to hook up a second HD TV, how long can the HDMI or component outputs be run before the signal starts to lose integrity?

I assume their are no inexpensive wireless solutions yet for transmitting HDMI/component but I could be wrong...

No wireless for component/HDMI (yet).

I've had good success using the leapfrog wireless system for my second TV, works well with composite. Also allows you to use your remote to control the HR20 from the second TV location.

If your second TV is SD only you might consider this.

Note my TV's are only about 10 feet apart, results may vary.

#8 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

Complete instructions are in this thread:

Connecting The HR20 to Multiple TVs

Those instructions basically only cover one of the many possible solutions, namely distributing a secondary SD feed to multiple TV sets via an RF connection. What is only alluded to but not talked about in detail in the document is that you can feed two HD TV sets without any additional splitters/switches/modulators or any other hardware besides the correct hookup cables by feeding one HD set with the HDMI output, and feeding a second HD set with the component outputs from the HR20. The question is, what's the practical limit of the cable runs for HDMI and component video, and which would be better for the longer run to the "remote TV".

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:31 PM

Common sense tells me that HDMI would be better because it's pure digital... less signal loss over distance. Monoprice.com, whom I highly recommend, sells 50' HDMI cables on their site, so I would guess that you could go 50' without too much hassle.

Any engineers out there care to comment?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   caesar4831

caesar4831

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

But can you watch different shows on the second tv at the same time? Can you control the DVR from the second tv while someone is watching live tv on the first & vice-versa?

Thanks,
Caesar48311

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

The HR20 displays only one program on all outputs simultaneously, unlike the Dish Network Vip622/722 which can display two different programs on two outputs.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall