Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV secrets stolen!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:25 PM

Karl_f - you wouldn't be so strident about that phone-in requirement if your receivers' modems were fried, but the receiver otherwise was still working perfectly.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:52 PM

Originally posted by scooper
Karl_f - you wouldn't be so strident about that phone-in requirement if your receivers' modems were fried, but the receiver otherwise was still working perfectly.

What is your recommendation for controlling hacking? It is out of control and this just seems to be the easiest way for Directv to control it. As we have seen, changing access cards is an extrememly cumbersome, expensive process that hasn't even finished yet, and has already been compromised. Again I ask, what is you recommendation?
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#23 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Rking401
I don't believe that the VCRS that is used by the c-band industry has been successfully hacked.

The Titanic was unsinkable also. :rolleyes:

There wasnt a demand. DSS suplanted the need.

Originally posted by Jacob S
Starchoice and DCII has not been hacked yet either have they?

Yeah they have, the info isnt widely available and the people who know how to do it are very underground.

Digital cable has been done, but not a "nationwide" hack or a very user friend one, it involves reporgramming the STB every couple of days. and its varies on provider.

#24 OFFLINE   Turbohawk

Turbohawk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:52 PM

Originally posted by karl_f

What is your recommendation for controlling hacking? It is out of control and this just seems to be the easiest way for Directv to control it. As we have seen, changing access cards is an extrememly cumbersome, expensive process that hasn't even finished yet, and has already been compromised. Again I ask, what is you recommendation?

Karl, the only surefire way to control hacking is to make the product that is being hacked cheap enough to where the effort/cost to hack is non-productive. When the various networks charge the rates they do when they are also charging for commerical time forcing all of us to pay to watch them, they deserve to be hacked IMO.

The only kinds of channels that have the right to charge what they want are the commercial-free ones (HBO, etc.) I'm tired of paying for TLC and such AND then forced to watch commercials. I can barely stomach commercials on "free" over the air network TV, but at least here, I can understand it.

#25 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:02 PM

Nobody deserves to have their service stolen IMHO. So I am to assume you condone hacking of systems?

A channel has the "right" to charge whatever they want. That is part of free enterprise. You aren't entitled to steal from them because you don't agree with their pricing scheme.

Using the same morality, if you feel a Lexus costs too much, you can steal it?

According to the bible I read, it says "Thou shalt not steal" - not "Thou shalt not steal except when you feel you are being cheated."

I don't like commercials either, that is why I bought a PVR...
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#26 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 06 January 2003 - 06:22 PM

But enforcing the phone line hookup isn't the answer. Not everyone can connect a phone line - plain and simple. Rather than putting the onus on the customer, I think it's DirecTV's job to control hacking.
If they really enforced the phone line, they would lose a lot of good customers.
HarryD

#27 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 07:14 PM

I thought that digital cable was not possible to do because the receivers communicate back to the cable service provider?

I think a lot of it is done for a hobby, because it can be done, if it were not illegal then it would not as fun for some of them to do. They like the game and challenge, its like a cat and mouse game to them.

Is digital tv that is over the air going to have pay channels as well available in that way? I wonder if digital tv will bring way to more channels available when it becomes the norm.

#28 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 07:47 PM

Most Digital Cable setups feature 2 way communications, meaning that the box can send data as well as receive it. On many Digital Cable system you can order PPV with your remote (and without needing to hook your Digital Cable receiver up to a phone line)

#29 OFFLINE   PSB

PSB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 08:50 PM

There is no way to enforce the phone line rule now, without 50% of customers leaving, the best way to stop pirate cards and to sell more systems is to keep the current price scale, but drop half the channels, each customer could choose the number and what channels they want. Lets face it we could drop at least half of the unwanted channels at any time with out a thought!

#30 OFFLINE   Turbohawk

Turbohawk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:22 PM

Originally posted by HarryD
But enforcing the phone line hookup isn't the answer. Not everyone can connect a phone line - plain and simple. Rather than putting the onus on the customer, I think it's DirecTV's job to control hacking.
If they really enforced the phone line, they would lose a lot of good customers.

Roger that.

That was my whole point...that enforcing phone hookups isn't the way to go. What is? Not my job. But I do have some ideas. When the Dish boys pay me, then I'll be interested in helping them stop pirating. Until then, I say keep the prices low enough that no one wants to hack. You're not going to stop the "hobbyists" nor the anarchists from trying to hack, if for no other reason, it's a challenge. Do I condone it? Nope. But I have no sympathy for any industry that charges so much and wants to give so little. Just thank God they aren't selling air. Karl, I bet you would be all for hacking as you gasp your last breath because your phone line isn't plugged in! :lol:

BTW, Karl, do you work for the Dish peoples?

#31 OFFLINE   Turbohawk

Turbohawk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:27 PM

Originally posted by karl_f

I don't care if people are cancelling their home phone in favor of cell phones. It is in the CONTRACT the subscribers agree to that their receivers will be connected to a land-based phone line. If that is too difficult for them, they should have digital cable. People avoiding provisions of their contract is not a good enough reason not to have receivers call in.

BTW, I have yet to see any contract for any Dish provider I've subscribed to. Are you talking about secret, implied contracts? Like the ones Microsoft and such love to use when you install YOUR copy of the product?

If you don't sign it with pen and ink, it doesn't have a lot of weight, at least the last time I checked the laws of Texas.

#32 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:04 PM

Turbohawk -

I don't work for the "Dish peoples." I'm not stupid or ignorant either. I resent that implication very much. I have subscribed to both services and felt I receive the best value from Directv. Are they perfect - hardly. Both companies have problems. I am simply a paying customer who resents people who steal. I feel the same way about people who steal any product.

If you truly feel that you are being so persecuted and overcharged for your tv service - don't subscribe. Pretty simple. It is a black and white moral issue. Those with morals won't steal, those without morals will steal with a smile on their face. They are scum.

I don't know the answers to hacking problems. Perhaps more aggressive pursuit of hackers by legal means. That is why their people have jobs. I was just throwing the phone line issue out there.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I have found it to be both entertaining and informative.

Have a nice evening.

#33 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Turbohawk

BTW, I have yet to see any contract for any Dish provider I've subscribed to. Are you talking about secret, implied contracts? Like the ones Microsoft and such love to use when you install YOUR copy of the product?

If you don't sign it with pen and ink, it doesn't have a lot of weight, at least the last time I checked the laws of Texas.

Here's the activation agreement right off of Directv's website:

Terms and conditions of activation:

Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided here at DIRECTV.com and with your first bill. Hardware and programming sold separately. Equipment specifications and programming options may vary in Alaska and Hawaii. See your retailer for equipment requirements in your area. Reception may vary based on geographic location. DIRECTV services not provided outside the U.S.

We may charge you a monthly fee of up to $4.99 for each additional receiver, rather than a full subscription fee on each additional receiver. This reduced rate is available only if all receivers are located at your residence and are continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line. If not, you will be responsible for the full amount of our programming charges for each receiver.

By activating your receiver, you are committing to a one-year subscription (12 consecutive months) of any TOTAL CHOICE® package or OPCIÓN EXTRA ESPECIAL® package (valued at $31.99 per month or above) or Phoenix TV package. If your account is downgraded below TOTAL CHOICE, OPCÍON EXTRA ESPECIAL® or Phoenix TV programming, disconnected or terminated before you meet your one-year service commitment, you agree that DIRECTV may charge you a pro-rated fee of up to $150 depending upon the timing of such action.

It says in the second paragraph that each receiver is to be continuously connected to a land-based phone line in order to have the receiver charged at the $4.99 rate and no the full rate. By activating equipment, you are agreeing to these terms. Yes, I am in violation with two of my receivers. I could run additional phone lines if forced to.

I'm no legal expert, so I don't know how well this would hold up in court, but the phone-line requirement is there. Once again, I don't work for for any satellite service or content provider. :)

#34 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:29 AM

Perhaps this new service by R/L DBS Rainbow at 61.5 will have better luck, considering its the latest out, and that they are willing to sell channels individually.

I wonder how many people will switch from Dish and Direct to this new service just because they can pick and choose?

#35 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:49 AM

You will note that only about half the channels can be bought outside a package:

http://gullfoss2.fcc...ment=6513291851

It will be interesting to see how they work pricing on individual channels verses their packages.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...