Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Combining Satellite & Cable Signal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   destilo

destilo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

I am currnetly runnig cable throughtout some of my house and Dish throughout the rest. I decided to run the two signals over one cable using a diplexer and to then split it out at the TV using a second diplexer, then run both into an A/B Switch so that I could watch either Cable or Dish on one TV just by choosing the input at the switch. I am using a Vip622 for the dish signal, and it is transmitting as the second TV source (channel 125). Before I ever set up the second deiplexer/switch I plugged the coax cable into the TV and was able to get channels 2-77 (cable) and 125 (dish), although 125 was apparently a lower quality signal than the others. As far as I know, using the Vip622 TV2 output in this way broadcasts the same frequency as the cable channels. Since I am combining these signals into one, do I risk damaging any of my equipment? Can anybody recommend a way to improve the signal strngth/quality on the channel 125 coming from the Dish? Any help or info is greatly appreciated, I never thought that using only one diplexer would allow this to work.

Mike D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sattec

sattec

Godfather

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:43 AM

first, use a reverse 2way splitter as a combiner instead of the diplexer, then check the quality on the tv, it will be better. :)
MDU only.

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

i don't believe that you can diplex cable and satellite. A Simple combiner or splitter will do what you intend a diplexer may actaully hurt you.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

spam firewall