Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local and National News in HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:33 PM

I know some places currently receive have their local news in HD. I don't believe any national news networks are on yet. I was wondering what your thoughts are so far. Is just the newsroom portion in HD? Are there any live shots in the field in HD? Are you satisfied with it?
We're supposed to have our local ABC affiliate broadcasting in HD this week, but it's still SD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

Our local ABC affiliate broadcasts in HD "stretch-o-vision", very annoying. At least the color is better and over picture is nicer. I'm sure they are upgrading as fast as economically feasable.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

My local news is in HD on 2 different channels (owned by the same company, so shared news personnel and studio equipment). Those are CBS and FOX affiliates. When special HD broadcasts (like a State of the Nation address) come on from CBS or FOX, those are HD... but CBS national news is not otherwise.

We do get NBC nightly news in HD on the local NBC station even though they do not yet do their local news in HD. The NBC studio show is HD, and some of the remote work, but a lot of upconverted news from the field still on NBC Nightly in HD.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#4 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well, as I spoke before, our ABC affiliate finally went HD tonight. There's definitely work to do on it, but since it's their first night I'll let it go. The picture quality left some to be desired. The faces were more red than they should have been and it certainly wasn't 720p. I'll give it time.

They did have people out in the field using HD cameras. Those should be cool during tornado season here.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:06 AM

Capitol Broadcasting (owns local channel 5 and 50) have lots of remote HD cameras for in-the-field work... HD weather maps and radar, and an HD camera for the helicopter. So most of what we get on those channel local news is nice HD. Of course anything they pick up from the wire from other stations around the country/world are usually SD only... but most of it is nice 1080i (or 720p on channel 50) stuff!

'course Channel 5 WRAL here was the first to broadcast HD back in the day here in the US... and has had their news in HD for years, long before I got my HDTV even they were doing HD local news... so I wasn't watching during the initial growing pains they probably had.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#6 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:09 AM

I know some places currently receive have their local news in HD. I don't believe any national news networks are on yet.

That's incorrect. HD News Network on VOOM has been on national distribution for many years now.

#7 OFFLINE   Terry K

Terry K

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:57 AM

NBC nightly news is in HD as is the Today Show.

#8 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

In the NYC area; NBC, ABC, and CBS are currently broadcasting every news cast in HD. The only one that hasn't caught on is FOX but they claim that they were the first to have the chopper cameras in HD so I guess thats their excuse.

Out of all of them, I'd have to say CBS is the best, followed by NBC and ABC.

None of them broadcast their field shots in HD, they just put 2 big side bars up to fill the holes that have images of the companies logo. At least they don't try to strech or pass it off as HD.

Studio shots are pretty spectacular. You start recognizing features on an achors face that you've never noticed before.

spam firewall