Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Hard Drives That Work

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:09 AM

Once the virtual CD-ROM drive is removed, it shows up as one drive with the combined capacity.

I'm not interested in what your personal computer's volume manager tells you. I'm asking if there are two hard drives inside the box.

There are three conditions to a successful EHD setup:
  • <=2TB
  • self-powered
  • one hard drive mechanism

Iomega used to put together a lot of external storage units that were RAIDed pairs and if that's the case with the device you have, you have your answer.

Regardless of what the RAID fanboys say. most RAID setups require some manner of driver software (perhaps built into the operating system) to function correctly and that driver doesn't exist in a DISH DVR.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#522 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

Based on a Sept 2010 review, The Iomega Prestige 2 TB has a single ST320005 42AS Seagate Barracuda SATA2 hard drive.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#523 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Based on a Sept 2010 review, The Iomega Prestige 2 TB has a single ST320005 42AS Seagate Barracuda SATA2 hard drive.

If the device you have doesn't have two drives, I have no explanation.

It is remotely possible that the utility you used to delete the second partition stunk the drive. Using a Linux-based partition program (or perhaps even your computer OS utility) to remove all partitions might bring it into compliance.

I do recommend avoiding third party manufacturers in the future.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#524 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

FWIW I've had good luck with Western Digital, Hitachi, & Maxtor drives. I never tried my external Seagate drives as they are all NAS not USB.

The Hitachi's are turning up at very good prices recently. I've seen reviews where some are buying them and stripping out the drives for internal use on the 2Tb & 3Tb as they are cheaper than the internal models. The only problem I had was one of them had a rattle. I pulled the front cover carefully and shook out a loose screw.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#525 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

I was thinking of getting this external hard drive from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218242900307

Do you guys think that's okay?

I have a 722K. I saw the original post listed several Western Digital My Book Essential hard drives but not the 2TB that I want here.

#526 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Tecmo SB Guy,

It looks like it should work. It fits the requirements so I do not see why it wouldn't work. Here is a link with the requirements: http://www.dishnetwo...ction/setup-ehd . Thanks.

#527 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

I think my WD My Book Essentials 1tb USB 2.0 my be on the fritz. It's starting to make a lot of noise after transferring to it or after viewing - deleting something stored on it.. And my 922 says its only 500GB, not 1TB. TBH I can't remember if it ever said it was 1TB.
ViP722
Western Digital 1TB My Book (Essentials Edition)
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Pioneer PDP-5020FD (Cleveland Plasma)
Yamaha RXV2200

500GB 7200 RPM 1st Gen. PS3
Playstation Network ID: DaveTheStalker
Playseat: Tony Stewart Collectors Edition
Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

#528 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,059 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

I think my WD My Book Essentials 1tb USB 2.0 my be on the fritz. It's starting to make a lot of noise after transferring to it or after viewing - deleting something stored on it.. And my 922 says its only 500GB, not 1TB. TBH I can't remember if it ever said it was 1TB.

Why not test it thoroughly ? Connect to PC and run Victoria 4.4B - post SMART data before and after run Scan with Remap=ON.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...