Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heart Attack

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

I turned on my HR20 15 minutes ago. All the blue lights came on, but there was no picture on any channel. Black screen. No "searching for satellite" or any other message. Just a black screen. The channel banners worked fine. I was able to check satellite signal strengths, and they were slightly weaker than baseline because of cloud cover, but nothing below 77. I tried to play back a previously recorded program, and I also got a black screen. I run upstairs to the TiVo, and the channels were working fine there. I felt like I was about to have a heart attack.

I did a RBR, and everything was restored, but not before I was drenched in sweat. This has been my first HR20 hiccup, so I can't complain, but it was a heart-pounding last few minutes, I tell you! :grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

I turned on my HR20 15 minutes ago. All the blue lights came on, but there was no picture on any channel. Black screen. No "searching for satellite" or any other message. Just a black screen. The channel banners worked fine. I was able to check satellite signal strengths, and they were slightly weaker than baseline because of cloud cover, but nothing below 77. I tried to play back a previously recorded program, and I also got a black screen. I run upstairs to the TiVo, and the channels were working fine there. I felt like I was about to have a heart attack.

I did a RBR, and everything was restored, but not before I was drenched in sweat. This has been my first HR20 hiccup, so I can't complain, but it was a heart-pounding last few minutes, I tell you! :grin:

May I be the first to welcome you to D*Hell. Could have been worse, you could have called up D*, that's a fine way to extend your visit to D*Hell.

#3 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

May I be the first to welcome you to D*Hell. Could have been worse, you could have called up D*, that's a fine way to extend your visit to D*Hell.

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the CSR route. ;)

What a weekend this has been. Friday night, I lose my TiVo DVR functioning because of a software download until I called a CSR and unplugged/rebooted the box; yesterday, I lost my 119 locals for 15 minutes because of some weird electromagnetic interference from outer space (?); and today, I thought my HR20 had bit the dust until I did a RBR. Great weekend indeed! :rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   Duffycoug

Duffycoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

Same EXACT thing happened to me today...when I woke up and turned on the TV all I got was a channel banner and black screen.......did a restart of the HR20 and it's working fine....I wonder what happened...sounds like it was NOT an isolated event.
AT9 -->WB68 --> HR 20-100S --> HDMI --> Sony 42" Plasma KDE-42XS955.
(4) SD Directv Tivo.

#5 OFFLINE   Badger

Badger

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

I had the same thing happen two days after I got our HR20. Couldn't reset via the menu so did a RBR reset. Flawless for the 3 months since then. :)

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the CSR route. ;)

What a weekend this has been. Friday night, I lose my TiVo DVR functioning because of a software download until I called a CSR and unplugged/rebooted the box; yesterday, I lost my 119 locals for 15 minutes because of some weird electromagnetic interference from outer space (?); and today, I thought my HR20 had bit the dust until I did a RBR. Great weekend indeed! :rolleyes:

There was a national release last night. It's always a good practice to check your HR20 after an NR. That's one of the reasons I turn off the big circular blue LEDs in the middle of the front of the unit. When an NR hits the blue lights come on and I know it's time to check them. I've only had to reboot one unit since November after an NR.

D*Hell is real and ready to strike at any time. My favorite TiVo just started rebooting at random. Bad hard drive. Big hard drive, came with a 3 year warranty, so back it goes and my complete collection of the original Star Trek goes with it. Oh well...

#7 OFFLINE   Duffycoug

Duffycoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

There was a national release last night. It's always a good practice to check your HR20 after an NR. That's one of the reasons I turn off the big circular blue LEDs in the middle of the front of the unit. When an NR hits the blue lights come on and I know it's time to check them. I've only had to reboot one unit since November after an NR.

D*Hell is real and ready to strike at any time. My favorite TiVo just started rebooting at random. Bad hard drive. Big hard drive, came with a 3 year warranty, so back it goes and my complete collection of the original Star Trek goes with it. Oh well...

I'm VERY suspicious of these random reboots...my TIVO machine just started doing the same thing out of the blue......seems like D* is up to some shaky business if you ask me.
AT9 -->WB68 --> HR 20-100S --> HDMI --> Sony 42" Plasma KDE-42XS955.
(4) SD Directv Tivo.

#8 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

I'm VERY suspicious of these random reboots...my TIVO machine just started doing the same thing out of the blue......seems like D* is up to some shaky business if you ask me.

I don't know about any shaky business, but I lost two or three HR10-250 hard drives well before the HR20 came out.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

I don't know about any shaky business, but I lost two or three HR10-250 hard drives well before the HR20 came out.

I think the HR20 not having the software on the HD is going to prove to be another major advantage over TiVos.

I have spent a lot of money on HDs for TiVos, just lost another one with a 250 Gig HD (fortunately, bought it at Digital Recorder.com and they have a 3 year replacement warranty on their large HDs). Now I have another one going and I bought that HD at Weaknees.com which has a much shorter warranty and will have to take it out of use if the reboots continue. Fortunately I have other TiVos with large HDs to use as backups.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

Try putting another HD in and see if it continues to reboot. If it continues the HD is bad.

#11 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

For about a week I was finding my blue light on every day. I've got the HR20 on a UPS so I don't think it was an outage. This was a couple of weeks ago, then it stopped. It was in between 0x17 and the current 0x18 release so I have no idea what it was doing. Cleared up eventually. I also had one incident like the OP where everything was black and my recordings seem to be bad, but I RBR'd and everything came back. Very disturbing, but the reboots stopped and the system seems fine for the past several weeks.

-steve

spam firewall