Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with VOD and Apple Extreme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

I have an Apple extreme base station that I use as my router.
I am very happy with this product and would like to use it with my hr20-700
to receive VOD.

What I would like to know is this.

1. Is the Apple Extreme compatable with the Directv hr20-700 and
will I be able to use this to receive VOD?

2. What kind of wireless adaptor I need to hook to my Hr20-700?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

<moderator stuff> Moved the thread to the HR20 Information Resources forum where the best networking people know the full details. Thanks team! </moderator stuff>

I'm fairly certain the Apple Extreme will work fine, tho I do not have direct experience with that router family.

As for which adapter, most people are finding that the various wireless gaming adapters work the best. They attach to the HR20 at the ethernet port and connect to the wireless network. You might have to perform some setup first on the PC or Mac.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

<moderator stuff> Moved the thread to the HR20 Information Resources forum where the best networking people know the full details. Thanks team! </moderator stuff>

I'm fairly certain the Apple Extreme will work fine, tho I do not have direct experience with that router family.

As for which adapter, most people are finding that the various wireless gaming adapters work the best. They attach to the HR20 at the ethernet port and connect to the wireless network. You might have to perform some setup first on the PC or Mac.

Cheers,
Tom

An excited "YES!" the Airport Extreme will work fine. I have both an Airport Extreme and Airport Express, and they both work great.

I love the Airport Express -- one of the most innovative products Apple sells. It's a Wi-Fi range extender, an Ethernet-to-Wireless bridge (or vise versa), a USB print server, a streaming audio receiver (with optical jack!) all in one tiny package. Incredibly cool!

#4 OFFLINE   npm

npm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

I will chime in here and echo dmurphy's sentiments...

I just upgraded my setup for VOD and AppleTV stuff.

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station at my internet access point and another Airport Extreme Base Station at my TV with my HR20's and MacMini connect via Ethernet. My point was to get the 802.11n speed wirelessly and to have my older computers/DVR connect via ethernet so as not to slow the network down.

As an alternative, the Airport express will work great for those looking to spend a little less, need less function or don't mind 802.11g speeds.

Hope this helps!

#5 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

I will chime in here and echo dmurphy's sentiments...

I just upgraded my setup for VOD and AppleTV stuff.

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station at my internet access point and another Airport Extreme Base Station at my TV with my HR20's and MacMini connect via Ethernet. My point was to get the 802.11n speed wirelessly and to have my older computers/DVR connect via ethernet so as not to slow the network down.

As an alternative, the Airport express will work great for those looking to spend a little less, need less function or don't mind 802.11g speeds.

Hope this helps!

thanks to those for the help
npm, you stated that you use a airport extreme at your internet access point as I do. So you are suggesting that I purchase a second one to hook up to my hr20-700? It seems like an expensive sollution but if it works I could go this way.
thanks

#6 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

You could either do that or get an Airport Express. I have the Express plugged into my power strip, ran a flat ethernet cord under the entertainment stand to the HR 20. Nice clean look. My AE is hooked up on the other side of the room providing my internet network to my computers.. The Express extends things to the HR20.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#7 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hey Guys, I have a MacBook Pro on a LinkSys WAP54G connected to a Linksys Router BEFSR41 for my wireless network. What do I need to get the HR20 on the wireless network.
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
DirecTV-8/96,HR34-700s(0x57d),HR24-200(0x5d3),SL5S Dish,D-Link DIR 655-Hardwired with Cat6e,Gigabit LAN,MRV-DECA,DirecTV2PC(XP Pro/Boot Camp 3.1),HRV-RS15-2187 HD-OTA Antenna,Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1,LG 20LS7D Bedroom TV,Sony RDR-GX330 DVD,Bose Cinemate,Harmony A1 & 880,Belkin UPS 550 VA,Targus Chill Matt
[/FONT]

#8 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

I'm hijacking, but I have an Airport Express coming in the mail. I have a Belkin router and only PC's. I bought it for the dual functionality of providing a connection to my HR20 (for VOD and streaming video when enabled) and also streaming iTunes to my stereo. Question about the range extending stuff. I pretty much always use my laptop in my living room where my HR20, but my desktop and router are on my second floor in the spare bedroom. Now, I always get either full signal or close to it, though I do get some dropouts occasionally, but I don't know what is to blame for that. Will the range extending feature help me at all? How does it work, do you just connect to it in the Wireless connection thing of XP like you do a router?

It's supposed to get here on Friday, which is perfect timing to use the Airtunes feature for our labor day party!
- Matt

#9 OFFLINE   npm

npm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

thanks to those for the help
npm, you stated that you use a airport extreme at your internet access point as I do. So you are suggesting that I purchase a second one to hook up to my hr20-700? It seems like an expensive sollution but if it works I could go this way.
thanks

I have done the second Base station for the "n" wireless throughout and the 2 additional ethernet ports! I have another HR20 and a MacMini HTPC hooked up to the TV... Airport Express will work great if these factors are not important to you. I had that setup until this weekend! My upgrade just happened to coincide with the VOD release, but was in part to prepare for it.

One other note... the $80 upgrade (Express to Extreme) is a bit of future proofing also, as you have to think there is an "n" express around the corner.

Either way, you should be very happy!

#10 OFFLINE   npm

npm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

I'm hijacking, but I have an Airport Express coming in the mail. I have a Belkin router and only PC's. I bought it for the dual functionality of providing a connection to my HR20 (for VOD and streaming video when enabled) and also streaming iTunes to my stereo. Question about the range extending stuff. I pretty much always use my laptop in my living room where my HR20, but my desktop and router are on my second floor in the spare bedroom. Now, I always get either full signal or close to it, though I do get some dropouts occasionally, but I don't know what is to blame for that. Will the range extending feature help me at all? How does it work, do you just connect to it in the Wireless connection thing of XP like you do a router?

It's supposed to get here on Friday, which is perfect timing to use the Airtunes feature for our labor day party!

AirTunes through an optical connection sounds GREAT! Unfortunately...

From Apple.com...

Airport Express Page... http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

(5)AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network.

Sarcasm hat, sort of, why not get a AE base station to compliment your AExpress;) If you don't need the ethernet ports (seems like you do), you could also just get another AExpress!

#11 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

AirTunes through an optical connection sounds GREAT! Unfortunately...

From Apple.com...

Airport Express Page... http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

(5)AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network.

Sarcasm hat, sort of, why not get a AE base station to compliment your AExpress;) If you don't need the ethernet ports (seems like you do), you could also just get another AExpress!

Ah, thanks for the info. Oh well, I didn't really need that function, I was just curious how it might work.
- Matt

#12 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

I know it SAYS that, but .... depending on your configuration (HIGHLY dependent.) it could work with third-party routers too ...

It works fine with a Linksys WRT54G so long as you use WEP and not WPA. Having said that, I wasn't going to downgrade my security for it, so I put my Airport Extreme back on the air. I have the older 802.11g Extreme, so I just hooked up a $5 D-Link switch to the LAN port on it and off I go!

Having said all that, it really does work best with the Airport Extreme, but it does work with other routers if you get the configuration right ... you can google search it for some good advice (search for Airport Express WDS)

#13 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

I know it SAYS that, but .... depending on your configuration (HIGHLY dependent.) it could work with third-party routers too ...

It works fine with a Linksys WRT54G so long as you use WEP and not WPA. Having said that, I wasn't going to downgrade my security for it, so I put my Airport Extreme back on the air. I have the older 802.11g Extreme, so I just hooked up a $5 D-Link switch to the LAN port on it and off I go!

Having said all that, it really does work best with the Airport Extreme, but it does work with other routers if you get the configuration right ... you can google search it for some good advice (search for Airport Express WDS)

#14 OFFLINE   npm

npm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:13 PM

Good to know! I tend to just use the Apple stuff, but I have been asked this before and now I know it is possible... thanks!

#15 OFFLINE   pete4192

pete4192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:03 AM

So, just to clear this up. I have 2 Airport Expresses setup currently in my house. One on the second floor which is connected to my DSL modem. And one on the first floor, which I use as an extender, and have my USB printer plugged in to. Will running a CAT5 cable from the HR20 to the Airport Express on the first floor allow the HR20 to access the internet? I assumed the jack in the Airport Express was only for DSL/Cable modems.

#16 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

So, just to clear this up. I have 2 Airport Expresses setup currently in my house. One on the second floor which is connected to my DSL modem. And one on the first floor, which I use as an extender, and have my USB printer plugged in to. Will running a CAT5 cable from the HR20 to the Airport Express on the first floor allow the HR20 to access the internet? I assumed the jack in the Airport Express was only for DSL/Cable modems.

That's the way I understand it.
- Matt

#17 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,590 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

That will work, since it is already part of your wireless network, all you need do is plug in the cat5 and do the setup on the HR20.

#18 OFFLINE   pete4192

pete4192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:21 AM

That will work, since it is already part of your wireless network, all you need do is plug in the cat5 and do the setup on the HR20.

Great! Thank you very much for the reply.

#19 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:25 AM

Yep, that'll work just fine. The Airport Express really is a pretty amazing little device!

If you use it as you do on the 2nd floor, it's for the "WAN" (wide-area network) connection (i.e. cable modem).

As a wireless "bridge" (as you've set it up on the 1st floor), it becomes a LAN connection.

Cool stuff!

#20 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

I was going use an Airport extreme to my router and an Airport express to connect to my hr20-700. So I could just buy two Airport express and that would work instead.

And is the express as secure of a router as the extreme is?
thanks

spam firewall