Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with VOD and Apple Extreme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

I was going to get an Airport extreme to use as my router and an Airport express to connect to my hr20-700. So I could just buy two Airport express and that would work instead.

And is the express as secure of a router as the extreme is?
thanks

Yes, using 2 airport expresses will work. What you won't have, however, is a "wired" LAN connection on the router - since the Airport Express only has one Ethernet jack, it hooks up to your cable modem.

If that's OK with you, then this configuration will be fine.

Having said that ... the current Airport Extreme is an 802.11n router, which means it's very high-speed. The Airport Express is "only" 802.11g. Not sure if/when an 802.11n version is coming. The Airport Extreme also has 3 gigabit Ethernet ports on it.

That may be something to think about.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   pete4192

pete4192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

As a router? Yes, it's based on the same architecture as the Extreme (the 802.11g version, that is). It has been 100% reliable, never dropping a connection. I had gone through Belkin, Netgear and D-Link routers before I tried the Airport Express. I will never use another wireless networking product!

#23 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

Okay, I'm hijacking this thread for my Airport Express problems. Hopefully someone can help me.

I just bought an Apple Airport Express (so that I could network my HR20 and stream music from iTunes on my laptop to my stereo). I already have a wireless g network for my laptop. I set up the AE on my desktop through my router. Basically I just changed what I knew about in the setup, which was just the security basically. I added my WEP hex passphrase to the AE. I then plugged it in near my HR20 and stereo and it works flawless with music through iTunes through my stereo, but the HR20 fails.

When I try to Connect Now, I get ok for IP address and OK for Subnet mask, but default Gateway just have dashes and it says Not Connected for network and Internet.
- Matt

#24 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

NEVERMIND - I figured it out. I was using the wrong MAC address.

Okay, I'm hijacking this thread for my Airport Express problems. Hopefully someone can help me.

I just bought an Apple Airport Express (so that I could network my HR20 and stream music from iTunes on my laptop to my stereo). I already have a wireless g network for my laptop. I set up the AE on my desktop through my router. Basically I just changed what I knew about in the setup, which was just the security basically. I added my WEP hex passphrase to the AE. I then plugged it in near my HR20 and stereo and it works flawless with music through iTunes through my stereo, but the HR20 fails.

When I try to Connect Now, I get ok for IP address and OK for Subnet mask, but default Gateway just have dashes and it says Not Connected for network and Internet.

Okay, I have some success. I changed the AX to WDS mode and now it says Connected for Network, but still Not Connected for Internet. What am I doing wrong?

And maybe this will help. My laptop can connect to it, but I can't actually use the connection (i.e. can't browse websites).

Any ideas?
- Matt

#25 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

go to the HR20's network screen and reset to default. That should fix it

#26 OFFLINE   Ein

Ein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

Here's a good article from Apple on designing a wireless network.

http://manuals.info....ort_Utility.pdf

#27 OFFLINE   BRSlim

BRSlim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

NEVERMIND - I figured it out. I was using the wrong MAC address.
Okay, I have some success. I changed the AX to WDS mode and now it says Connected for Network, but still Not Connected for Internet. What am I doing wrong?

And maybe this will help. My laptop can connect to it, but I can't actually use the connection (i.e. can't browse websites).

Any ideas?

I'm using a similar set-up but cant find where you set AX to WDS mode and where did you put the mac address? I'm having the same problem, It wont connect to my network at all.

Very frustrating.

#28 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:34 AM

I'm using a similar set-up but cant find where you set AX to WDS mode and where did you put the mac address? I'm having the same problem, It wont connect to my network at all.

Very frustrating.

It's one of the tabs. I even think it's called WDS, but I could be wrong. BUT, it was greyed out for me. There is another setting you have to set in order to enable WDS. I believe it's the one where you can set it to be a router or client or something like that. I'll have to either check tonight for you or try to find it in a manual or something.
- Matt

#29 OFFLINE   BRSlim

BRSlim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

It's one of the tabs. I even think it's called WDS, but I could be wrong. BUT, it was greyed out for me. There is another setting you have to set in order to enable WDS. I believe it's the one where you can set it to be a router or client or something like that. I'll have to either check tonight for you or try to find it in a manual or something.

Thanks Matt! I figured it out. I had originally set up my air port express for printing. When I hit the start over button I found it. For some reason I kept getting an error message and couldn't restart the APE to extend my network. I may just buy another one just for the HR20.

#30 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Matt! I figured it out. I had originally set up my air port express for printing. When I hit the start over button I found it. For some reason I kept getting an error message and couldn't restart the APE to extend my network. I may just buy another one just for the HR20.

Glad you figured it out. It would have been a PITA for me to get it out behind my tv to hook it up to my router. It sure took me awhile to figure it out, but it's working great now.
- Matt

#31 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

Here's a good article from Apple on designing a wireless network.

http://manuals.info....ort_Utility.pdf

Ein,
thanks for the article
very helpful

#32 OFFLINE   nikwax

nikwax

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

I may be making my network too complicated (as usual), and....

I have an Airport Extreme as part of my network, it handles the wireless pieces (4 Airport Expresses for AirTunes, and my wife's laptop). One of the AX's is next to the HR20, and of course I want to add the HR20 to the network. Following this and other articles here, I've ended up adding a WRT54G running DD-WRT (I had one sitting around) to handle the WDS segment. I've gotten the HR20 as far as Connected to Network but it fails Connected to Internet. I manually IP'd the HR20.

Now I may be making this way too complicated, but I can't see a way to have the AX speak WDS to the HR20 and function as a regular access point to the rest of the network, thus the Linksys router.

Also, the AE that is set up for WDS has a constantly blinking amber status light, even though the AirPort Utility reports its status as "normal."

Help?

#33 OFFLINE   nikwax

nikwax

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:59 AM

to try to simplify matters, I'm try to get the AE to talk directly to the AX. I've set the AX for WDS with the AE's MAC address, same channel and wireless network. Now I have a green light on the AE, but still can't get the HR20 to connect to the internet. At least I see the activity light on the HR20 ethernet port blinking.

???????

#34 OFFLINE   nikwax

nikwax

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

got it...per usual, I was trying to out think Apple. Very easy to set up.

#35 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

got it...per usual, I was trying to out think Apple. Very easy to set up.

Glad to see you got it going...

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#36 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

I wish I could have helped you, but besides the basics, I don't really know how I set mine up :) I changed the router to enable WDS (not an Apple, but a Belkin). Changed that setting in the AE. Added my security stuff. I also did some stuff on the HR20, but I don't really know all that much about networking, but I guess enough to get it going and it's been working great now for a month or so.
- Matt

#37 OFFLINE   mrowl

mrowl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:54 AM

Howdy, I am using an airport extreme, and airport express.

I plug my mac into the airport express, and connect to the internet fine.

but when I try to connect with the HR20, get 3 oks, a dash on the DNS, connected on network, and a not connected on internet...

Any hints?

#38 OFFLINE   Philby

Philby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

I'm having this exact same problem - and I've tried restoring my network defaults on the HR20...

Howdy, I am using an airport extreme, and airport express.

I plug my mac into the airport express, and connect to the internet fine.

but when I try to connect with the HR20, get 3 oks, a dash on the DNS, connected on network, and a not connected on internet...

Any hints?

#39 OFFLINE   Philby

Philby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

I fixed it! apparently there are 2 ethernet ports on the hr20-100 and only one (not the one I was "using") is active.

mrowl - make sure you are using the "top" ethernet port...

#40 OFFLINE   mrowl

mrowl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

I fixed it! apparently there are 2 ethernet ports on the hr20-100 and only one (not the one I was "using") is active.

mrowl - make sure you are using the "top" ethernet port...

well, at least that did something, it locked the receiver up. Now when I boot, I get searching for signal.

So, I unplugged the cat5 cable, restarted, and now the reciever is working. what a piece of junk.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...