Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with VOD and Apple Extreme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   BRSlim

BRSlim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

I love the Airport Express -- one of the most innovative products Apple sells. It's a Wi-Fi range extender, an Ethernet-to-Wireless bridge (or vise versa),

I have an Extreme and use an Express to extend the wireless capabilities to my attic space; I'd like to use the ethernet port to connect to the my HR20-700 but I cant figure out how to tell the Express to change the ethernet port from input to output.

Your "vice versa" reference suggests that it's possible. Have you or anyone done that? I could use some info. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mrowl

mrowl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

I have an Extreme and use an Express to extend the wireless capabilities to my attic space; I'd like to use the ethernet port to connect to the my HR20-700 but I cant figure out how to tell the Express to change the ethernet port from input to output.

Your "vice versa" reference suggests that it's possible. Have you or anyone done that? I could use some info. Thanks!

the theory is you set the express up at a WDS remote when you set it up. Make sure you have the newest airport utility.

I never could get it to work, so I ran a direct cat5 to the extreme, and still can't get it to work.

#43 OFFLINE   alfstrand

alfstrand

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

<moderator stuff> Moved the thread to the HR20 Information Resources forum where the best networking people know the full details. Thanks team! </moderator stuff>

I'm fairly certain the Apple Extreme will work fine, tho I do not have direct experience with that router family.

As for which adapter, most people are finding that the various wireless gaming adapters work the best. They attach to the HR20 at the ethernet port and connect to the wireless network. You might have to perform some setup first on the PC or Mac.

Cheers,
Tom

I have have an Airport Extreme (AE) as my access point to my cable modem and an Airport Extreme setup to network extend on each of my three HR20-100's. All work seamlessly with no manually setting up IP addresses - only have to set the HR20 AE's to "extend a wireless network" and everything else is automatic. VOD is outstanding with downloads in minutes. A side benefit is the whole house has excellent wireless coverage from the three AE's extending the network.

spam firewall