Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External HDD Format question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gmgraves2

gmgraves2

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

Dish Tech Supports tells me that External HDD for 622 uses a proprietary Linux HDD Format and that the receiver will reformat any disc connected to it. Is this true? If so, what is the format? XFS? I suspect that its plain ol' NTFS. Any insights on this? I can't get the silly thing to work even though I paid my (expletives deleted) $39!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

Yes, the receiver will need to format a drive to get it to work. The format is some kind of linux flavor, but beyond that, I don't know specifics. It's definitely not NTFS, or any other DOS/Windows format.

What problems are you having that you can't get to work? Hard to help you out much without more details - what kind of drive, etc...
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

Not working sounds like your enclosure is not compatible with the 622/722 USB chipset.

#4 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

Dish Tech Supports tells me that External HDD for 622 uses a proprietary Linux HDD Format and that the receiver will reformat any disc connected to it. Is this true? If so, what is the format? XFS? I suspect that its plain ol' NTFS. Any insights on this? I can't get the silly thing to work even though I paid my (expletives deleted) $39!

I had this problem. I just formatted the EHDD back to FAT32 by removing all of the partitions by using Windows computer management. After the format, I just plugged it back into the 622. The EHDD was then formatted by the 622 without any problems.

#5 OFFLINE   Gary Noonan

Gary Noonan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Format is clearly not windows. After a 750 gig Seagate FreeAgent Pro had problems with 622, moved it to computer for backups there. Windows reported 3 non-windows partitions, 1gig, ca 500 gigs, and197.6 gigs. About 700 gigs of the drive were reported by 633 as available for program storage.:)

#6 OFFLINE   Bagman

Bagman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

Format is clearly not windows. After a 750 gig Seagate FreeAgent Pro had problems with 622, moved it to computer for backups there. Windows reported 3 non-windows partitions, 1gig, ca 500 gigs, and197.6 gigs. About 700 gigs of the drive were reported by 633 as available for program storage.:)

I added a new WD Essentials 500gig to the 622 and it would not automatically format. I connected it to my PC and re-formatted the drive to NTFS (it came as FAT32) and all was well. I have since upgraded to a 722 and the WD connected without a hitch.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

I have not bought an external drive yet nor paid for the enabling of the feature... but in some shopping around, I notice that many external hard drives come at least partially pre-formatted with a partition that contains software for the drive. Western Digital, for example, was one that I noted came with drivers and such installed on it already. I gather that means it came with probably a 1GB partition pre-formatted and installed with software... then the rest non-partitioned.

I wonder if some of this preformatting could be causing problems with the ViP receiver in some cases. If intended for use on the ViP perhaps connecting a computer briefly to remove all partitions would be prudent? I wonder if that is something Dish tested... i.e. testing off-the-shelf configured drives vs drives that had no partitions when first connected.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   Gary Noonan

Gary Noonan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

My 750 gig Seagate Freeagent Pro came with a single large NTFS partitiion and some utilities in directories. WD drives have come with the old FAT32 and a single partition with some utilities in a directory.

#9 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

The two new 500gig WD EHDs I used didn't have problems, The 622 said they needed to be formatted and that worked. I believe it wipes the drive to new most likely by zeroing the first few tracks, to a never partitioned state and then creates its partitions and sets up the file allocation tables as a linux drive type and does no scanning of the drive for bad sectors. It is to quick to be otherwise.

#10 OFFLINE   jmiahman

jmiahman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

It's Ext3 ;)

#11 OFFLINE   etzeppy

etzeppy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

I just added a 750GB WD MyBook. It was formated by the ViP622 to just under 700GB. Is that normal? Is there something I should have done to capture the full 750GB?

#12 OFFLINE   etzeppy

etzeppy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

I just added a 750GB WD MyBook. It was formated by the ViP622 to just under 700GB. Is that normal? Is there something I should have done to capture the full 750GB?

I think this question is answered here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=147703

It would seem that this is unrecoverable overhead.

#13 OFFLINE   nicktripp

nicktripp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

It was seem that this is unrecoverable overhead.

Not quite, but it's better explained in the other thread. :D

#14 OFFLINE   etzeppy

etzeppy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Not quite, but it's better explained in the other thread. :D

I should have remembered that 1024 bytes equals 1 Kilobyte. I did not realize that manufacturers took so much liberty with their definition of "GB". I just assumed that 750 GB was indeed 750 Gigabytes.

#15 OFFLINE   hentom

hentom

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

Most of you must not be computer savy.  Even on a computer, a 750 GB does not produce 750 GB of usable space.  To format a disc. it uses up some of the space.  This is space reserved for the name, operating system, format, directory, etc.

#16 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Allow me to say :welcome:

Congratulations on digging up a 5 year old thread.

Nothing to do with space lost to partitioning and formatting.

From Here Hard drives use 1000 bytes as a Kilobyte. Microsoft uses 1024 Bytes for 1Kilobyte

Base 10 definition 1 GB = 1000000000 bytes (= 10003 B = 109 B) is the definition recommended by the International System of Units (SI) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).[3] This definition is used in networking contexts and most storage media, particularly hard drives, Flash-based storage,[4][5] and DVDs,

as for Microsoft's definition

Base 2 definition

As a example my 1Tb external has 1,000,203,833,504 bytes of storage.

Or as Microsoft calls it 931 Gigabytes.

1Tb .jpg

I must not be computer savvy since I believe this. After All I have only been using, building, upgrading and repairing them since the 80s.

Edited by TBoneit, 20 November 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

isn't time to lock the thread ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...