Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Satellite 119

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n17987

n17987

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

Came home last Friday from being out of town to a locked up H10-250, looking like it just received the 6e patch. on Sunday, i lost the 119 link up totally and could not get it back through reboot. CS rep said that they needed to come out. Any idea what happened or what it could be? I have the 5lnb dish for about 18 months now. no previous problems or changes.
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jfm

jfm

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Came home last Friday from being out of town to a locked up H10-250, looking like it just received the 6e patch. on Sunday, i lost the 119 link up totally and could not get it back through reboot. CS rep said that they needed to come out. Any idea what happened or what it could be? I have the 5lnb dish for about 18 months now. no previous problems or changes.
Thanks

First, I am not an expert, but I did have a problem with dish alignment which caused me to lose 119. Satellite 119 is located 18 degrees from satellite 101 in the southern sky. The lnb's are located on the bracket facing the dish such that 101 is in the center (with 99 and 103), 110 is off to the side on the bracket and 119 is the furthest one out on the bracket. The geometry of the bracket and dish is such that with the elevation (up/down) and azimuth (left/right) of the center of the dish pointed at 101, the signal from 110 will be reflected out to the 110lnb and 119 will be reflected out to the 119lnb as long as the tilt (rotation) of the dish is correct. In my case, the installer did not have the tilt aligned correctly and the signal strength on 119 was always low (in the 70's). As time went by and the weight of the dish slowly tilted the fascia board to which it is attached, the signal levels on 101 dropped from 95 to about 90. However, due to the tilt misalignment, 119 was affected to a greater extent and the signal level dropped to about 50 causing the signal to lose lock. After readjusting the tilt to maximize the strength on 119 and readjusting the elevation and azimuth to compensate for the bending of the fachia board, all my satellite strengths are in the 90's. And fortunately the fascia board has stabilized, so my satellite strengths have quit moving.

Thus even if you have had the dish for months, if your tilt was never aligned correctly causing the 119 strength to be marginal, a shift (due to winds or movement of the mounting) could cause 119 to be lost while the other satellites remain locked.

As I said, I'm not an expert. I guess the 119 lnb (or associated electronics) could have failed. Hopefully someone here can comment on this.
John
FR: HR20-700, Sony KDS-60A2000
LR: R10; Toshiba 27A51
Dish: Slimline AU9 5-LNB

#3 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

First, I am not an expert, but I did have a problem with dish alignment which caused me to lose 119. Satellite 119 is located 18 degrees from satellite 101 in the southern sky. The lnb's are located on the bracket facing the dish such that 101 is in the center (with 99 and 103), 110 is off to the side on the bracket and 119 is the furthest one out on the bracket. The geometry of the bracket and dish is such that with the elevation (up/down) and azimuth (left/right) of the center of the dish pointed at 101, the signal from 110 will be reflected out to the 110lnb and 119 will be reflected out to the 119lnb as long as the tilt (rotation) of the dish is correct. In my case, the installer did not have the tilt aligned correctly and the signal strength on 119 was always low (in the 70's). As time went by and the weight of the dish slowly tilted the fascia board to which it is attached, the signal levels on 101 dropped from 95 to about 90. However, due to the tilt misalignment, 119 was affected to a greater extent and the signal level dropped to about 50 causing the signal to lose lock. After readjusting the tilt to maximize the strength on 119 and readjusting the elevation and azimuth to compensate for the bending of the fachia board, all my satellite strengths are in the 90's. And fortunately the fascia board has stabilized, so my satellite strengths have quit moving.

Thus even if you have had the dish for months, if your tilt was never aligned correctly causing the 119 strength to be marginal, a shift (due to winds or movement of the mounting) could cause 119 to be lost while the other satellites remain locked.

As I said, I'm not an expert. I guess the 119 lnb (or associated electronics) could have failed. Hopefully someone here can comment on this.

Exactly, the 119 is affected by TILT, whereas the 101 is strictly az and el. This could be your problem, or a bad lnb, or bad multiswitch, or bad reciever. Did you try to unplug for several minutes.
Trigger

#4 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

I had a similar issue a week ago. Tech came out and said the dish was bad. Seemed odd but they put up a new Slimline and the issue was still there. Turned out one of the coax lines from the dish before the multiswitch has rusted out at a connection point. Apparently some of the cheaper coax is not all copper but actually steel with a copper coating that can rust. I would suggest disconnecting your coax cables outside to make sure none have rusted out. If it did, just a simple matter of stripping the cable a little bit and putting a new end on.

#5 OFFLINE   n17987

n17987

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

thanks to everyone for their replies. yes, i did do several resets of the 250, but because i had to leave town, i had not had a chance to check all of the connection points. however, with the weight of the dish on a composite shingled roof with 100 degree temps, anything can move. i did notice that 110 was down to the 70-75 range as well.
it was interesting in the fact that most of the 70-79 channels were gone from the guide as well after this happened. the tech is out in 2 days, we'll see how it goes and i'll get back.

#6 OFFLINE   n17987

n17987

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

As promised, D* came out yesterday on time and installed a new Slimline dish. Problem fixed and better signal reception to boot!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...