Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suggestions for a UPS???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Boiler_Up

Boiler_Up

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:01 PM

Over the last few months, we have experienced several power dropouts and short outages. I currently have my tv and HR 20 plugged into a Monster Power 3500MKII power filter and surge suppressor, but I'm afraid that my tv or hr20 could get damaged with all of the hard boots that they are doing with the power loss.

I am looking for any suggestions for a good reliable UPS that I could use to help alleviate these power glitches. I would at a minimum want the battery backup to last 5 min.

Would there be any issues in having the UPS plugged into the wall and then having the Monster Power plugged into the UPS?

Thanks in advance...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:28 PM

Over the last few months, we have experienced several power dropouts and short outages. I currently have my tv and HR 20 plugged into a Monster Power 3500MKII power filter and surge suppressor, but I'm afraid that my tv or hr20 could get damaged with all of the hard boots that they are doing with the power loss.

I am looking for any suggestions for a good reliable UPS that I could use to help alleviate these power glitches. I would at a minimum want the battery backup to last 5 min.

Would there be any issues in having the UPS plugged into the wall and then having the Monster Power plugged into the UPS?

Thanks in advance...

I would use triplite 1000 costs 100 bucks at costco. I connected the trip lite into my high quility surge suppressor. Then plugged two hr-20's and my tv to the triplite. with the hr-20's and tv 60 inch sxrd on lasts about 10 minites with the componets off about an half hour before battery gets depleated.

#3 OFFLINE   Boiler_Up

Boiler_Up

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:33 PM

I would use triplite 1000 costs 100 bucks at costco. I connected the trip lite into my high quility surge suppressor. Then plugged two hr-20's and my tv to the triplite. with the hr-20's and tv 60 inch sxrd on lasts about 10 minites with the componets off about an half hour before battery gets depleated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will also note that plugged into my Monster Power suppressor is: TV, HR20, PS3, dvd player, and denon AV receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Thanks in advance...

I was thinking along the same line and purchased an APC 650VA model from Circuit City for $60. When I got it home I decided my computer system needed the 650VA model more than my HR20 so I backed up my HR20 with my old 420VA APC unit, and now my computer system has the new 650VA.:)
As to your your last sentence, I asked the very same question on this site and most everybody recommended against it - something I think about combining surge suppressors in series. Here's a link to the thread.
http://www.dbstalk.c...755#post1049755
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#5 OFFLINE   Boiler_Up

Boiler_Up

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

I was thinking along the same line and purchased an APC 650VA model from Circuit City for $60. When I got it home I decided my computer system needed the 650VA model more than my HR20 so I backed up my HR20 with my old 420VA APC unit, and now my computer system has the new 650VA.:)
As to your your last sentence, I asked the very same question on this site and most everybody recommended against it - something I think about combining surge suppressors in series. Here's a link to the thread.
http://www.dbstalk.c...755#post1049755

Thanks for the link to your post, FHSPSU67. I really want to keep my Monster Power b/c I do believe it does clean the power going to my home theater (less noise in the sound and picture). So the one that you are using is 420VA? Do you use your monster power strip with it? Do you recommend the 650VA unit that you bought? Like you mentioned in your post, I don't see what problem there will be with this small home setup. Thanks again...

#6 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the link to your post, FHSPSU67. I really want to keep my Monster Power b/c I do believe it does clean the power going to my home theater (less noise in the sound and picture). So the one that you are using is 420VA? Do you use your monster power strip with it? Do you recommend the 650VA unit that you bought? Like you mentioned in your post, I don't see what problem there will be with this small home setup. Thanks again...

I kept my Monster strip for everything but my HD-DVR since it's the only thing that I think could really be compromised by an unexpected power outage. Everything else is surge-protected and should just turn off when power is interrupted, whereas the HD-DVR might be in the middle of a recording session and could have it's HD corrupted. As to the APC 650VA, I definitely recommend any UPS from APC. My 420VA unit was puirchased in 1996 and is still going strong, except for the monitoring S/W which is unsupported under Windows XP. I do recommend that any replacement batteries be purchased elsewhere such as American Battery Company.
Fred

#7 OFFLINE   Boiler_Up

Boiler_Up

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

I kept my Monster strip for everything but my HD-DVR since it's the only thing that I think could really be compromised by an unexpected power outage. Everything else is surge-protected and should just turn off when power is interrupted, whereas the HD-DVR might be in the middle of a recording session and could have it's HD corrupted. As to the APC 650VA, I definitely recommend any UPS from APC. My 420VA unit was puirchased in 1996 and is still going strong, except for the monitoring S/W which is unsupported under Windows XP. I do recommend that any replacement batteries be purchased elsewhere such as American Battery Company.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and good luck this year. It will be a very tough game when we come to Happy Valley this year...

#8 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and good luck this year. It will be a very tough game when we come to Happy Valley this year...

Yep, just checked and it will be PSU's final home game this year. I will be there as I am for all home games. Here's to a great game and no injuries!:)
Fred

Protected By... spam firewall...And...