Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best used dvr ATSC reciever for ota HD?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkimes

jkimes

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hi everyone. I just found this website and registered 15 minutes ago, plus I'm exhausted from work so bear with me if I ask too many stupid newbie questions.

I purchased an Eiki 2500 lumen LCD projector that outputs 1080i for incredibly cheap and I want to be able to watch and record NFL games from my local HD channels in High Def on it. CBS, Fox, ABC, and NBC are all broadcast in my area ota in HD and the tower is close to my apartment. I want to purchase a relatively cheap ATSC tuner with a built in DVR that will pick up my local over the air hd channels and record them if so desired. I found several hd dvr boxes on ebay but I want to be sure they don't require activation and will work for my application before I buy one. Im hoping to only have to spend between $50-$150 on a reciever. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Josh

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

I want to purchase a relatively cheap ATSC tuner with a built in DVR ... hoping to only have to spend between $50-$150

Short answer: Only if you have a spare computer to donate to your project.

Long answer:
DVR = hard drive + tuner/receiver + software + power supply + inputs/outputs and other sundry hardware.

Cable systems and satellite providers offer subsidized DVRs as a hook to get you to subscribe. OTA broadcasters don't do that.

But if you've already got a decent computer, not cutting-edge but not too old, you can buy an ATSC tuner for it, and that'll probably come with some kind of DVR software. If your LCD projector can handle the computer's video output, that might be all you need; otherwise, you'll have to add an appropriate video card to output what the projector wants.

Finally, you could look at standalone TiVo HD models. They'll do what you want, but they cost more than $150 up front, plus they require a subscription to work well.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

spam firewall