Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone archiving HD to BluRay or HD DVD recorders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

In general, this is probably more trouble than its worth - just go buy the Blu Ray or HD DVD disc, right ?

But lets say you have a relative playing Div-I football, with games telecast in HD, and you'd like to archive them for posterity.

I dont see that there are standalone Blu Ray or HD DVD recorders yet, but they do exist for computers, as do real time HD capture cards. So it would seem that one could take the component out from the HD-20 (the HDMI might be DRM protected I'm guessing), and capture it to computer hard drive, then burn to a BluRay disc. (or HD DVD). Has anyone actually been doing it ? Any suggestions to streamline the process, or avoid gotchas ? And if I'm wrong and a standalone (non-computer) HD or BluRay recorder does exist and is sold in US, please advise.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   rscultho

rscultho

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

I like to record college football (my alma mater) and record to disc for future viewing.

Currently I record OTA HD recordings using my HTPC which has an HDTV capture card in it. It is important to note that the card captures the MPEG stream; it does not capture and encode analog component video. What I wind up with is around a 24gig file (with commercials, ~17gig without) that I will eventually put on Blu-Ray. The computer burners are still around $500 and (at least as far as I am concerned) still to expensive to be practical.

What I CAN'T do right now is get HD content off of the HR20 so that I can archive it. I am sure that the currently unrecognizable file system used in the HR20 will eventually be "recognizeable" by someone. And, of course, there was a way to get content off of the HR10-250 through an "upgrade".

I too have looked at getting a real time capture card that would take the analog component video output and capture it to an mpeg stream. Such a card that has a high enough bandwidth for HD content is around $900. But you could capture any and all content over component.

BTW, the HD capture card I use in my HTPC is an HDTV Wonder card from ATI. I have had it for over 3 years.

#3 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:06 PM

Right - I'm pretty much limited to the HR20, since I really MUST have NFL Sunday Tickett.

Sounds like we're of the same thought - the only way right now from the HR20 would be to capture the component out signal. Costly (both the cost of the capture card and the BluRay drive.) and tedious. Sigh.

#4 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

Now that the external eSata drives are working, you could have a special disk drive for your important things to archive. Of course if that unit blows up I assume you lose the archived information as well, but it's better than nothing, and if the unit can last for 3-4 years, maybe by then there is a way to play the archived programs and get them to dvd, or a way to move them off by then.

#5 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

Now that the external eSata drives are working, you could have a special disk drive for your important things to archive. Of course if that unit blows up I assume you lose the archived information as well, but it's better than nothing, and if the unit can last for 3-4 years, maybe by then there is a way to play the archived programs and get them to dvd, or a way to move them off by then.

I was actually thinking this exact thing - just using it to buy time until some good solution exists. However, its not that clear to me that the ESata support as it exists now will exist for years. e.g. what if they support it fully and it doesn't take over and replace the drive, but rather add to it (in general a good thing), but the "cost" of doing that is it wants to format the drive - etc.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

Don't count on any legal alternative for getting the encrypted content of your eSATA enclosure. Barring a change in the law, that's just not going to happen.

Currently I haven't found a consumer-level high-definition DVD recorder, which means that you would have to capture, reencode on your PC, then master using your computer's HDDVD or Bluray drive.

I'd love to be able to save my HD content but that's too much work.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...