Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirectTV Instalation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wedgecon

Wedgecon

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 10:44 PM

I have been hearing a couple of different things on activating new DirectTV service.

1) When my new DirectTivo arrives it will not have an access card I will have to call DirecTV and have them ship me one. Is this True?

2) The dealer they send out will have an access card and be able to activate it.

I bought the system from American Satelite, anybody know the real story?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Wedgecon
1) When my new DirectTivo arrives it will not have an access card I will have to call DirecTV and have them ship me one. Is this True?

The DirecTiVo will have a access card with it. If not I'd be very suspicious about its origion. DirecTV will charge you for a new card.

#3 OFFLINE   Wedgecon

Wedgecon

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:31 PM

Originally posted by James_F

The DirecTiVo will have a access card with it. If not I'd be very suspicious about its origion. DirecTV will charge you for a new card.

The company I bought it from seems to be pretty reliable, The friends I have were telling me stories that a lot of retailers like Wal Mart, Radio Shack and Blockbuster were not selling receivers with access cards because of buyers who would buy 4 or 5 receivers for the access cards and dump the receivers into the trash behind the store. I have no idea if this is true or not but I am thinking a online retailer would not need to do this as I do not think a lot of people would be buying DirecTivos online just for the access card.

I am selling my last Dishplayer and switching to DirecTivo, I have had the Current Dishplayer on e-bay for only a few hours and I have alreday gotten people asking me about details on my smartcard despite my warning that I will cancel all bids from such users...dang hackers never learn, though I know dispite my attempts it most likely will be a hacker that gets my DP, oh well I will make more money from selling the DP's than the DirecTivo will cost so I am ahead...

I just wanted to be sure because My DirecTivo arrives on Tuesday and my Installer on Thursday (I may not be able to wait and just do it my self).

#4 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 07:37 AM

If I got a DirecTV reciever that didn't have a card in it, it would expect a rebate of at least 20 dollars to cover the cost of a new card. Walmart, Radio Shack and Blockbuster sell receivers without cards because people steal them out of the boxes. The local best buy removes all cards from the boxes and puts them in the office where people can't get them.

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 11:00 PM

$20.00? Dish charges $50.00, I switched over a customer from DirecTv to Dish Network because they wanted to charge for the card because they would not swap a card from one receiver to another one that would work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...