Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remedial questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rjgogo

rjgogo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

I searched a bit but could not find what I was looking for.

I am ready to dump comcast and looking to go satellite but have a couple of quick questions on infrastructure requirements.

I currently have cable run in the walls and would like to avoid pulling new.

Two quesitons. If I get a DVR unit will it require one cable from the dish or two. I know that some of the older systems had two or even three cables but how about the new systems, Will one cable carry the signal for DVR and to watch another channel at the same time?

Second questison. I have a place I go on the weekends. If I were to buy an additional receiver and dish would I be able to use the same service there as at my home provided I was only using one at a time. Could I take the card from the set at home and plug it in to the receiver there and then shuttle it back and forth?

Thanks, Roob.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

My dual-tuner Dish Network DVR requires only one RG6(!) cable line from the outside. No guarantee if your existing cable isn't at least RG6.

With Dish, modern receivers have the card built-in. Even if you get an older receiver, each card is "married" to its receiver at activation; it won't work anywhere else.

You definitely may not use two receivers at two locations at the same time. If you hook up a dish at your second location, you could bring your receiver with you. Whether you need to notify Dish each time you change service locations is a topic of discussion here.

The easiest answer would be to establish a second account for your other location. Maybe there's someone there who would appreciate having something to watch during the week? ;)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   rjgogo

rjgogo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

My dual-tuner Dish Network DVR requires only one RG6(!) cable line from the outside. No guarantee if your existing cable isn't at least RG6.

With Dish, modern receivers have the card built-in. Even if you get an older receiver, each card is "married" to its receiver at activation; it won't work anywhere else.

You definitely may not use two receivers at two locations at the same time. If you hook up a dish at your second location, you could bring your receiver with you. Whether you need to notify Dish each time you change service locations is a topic of discussion here.

The easiest answer would be to establish a second account for your other location. Maybe there's someone there who would appreciate having something to watch during the week? ;)

Thanks, There is nobody at the other place to use the service if I am not there. I did ask dish about it when I called them and they actually told me I could move the reciever back and forth.

I don't know if it is the same way with Direct TV.

spam firewall