Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to mount slim-line dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Hi. My slim line dish arrived, but makes no suggestion what kind of screws to use, to mount the mast to my roof, actually my patio roof. Anyone have suggestions what size and type to get? Thanks!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

I use lag bolts for mine. I think an 1 1/2" or longer and I think it was a 3/8 lag. I also like to get some lock washers and I'd probably grab some tar in a caulk tube for sealing. Put some in the holes and also on the base. Some people use silicone which is fine, just make sure it's outdoor. I've done it with no caulk and have never had a leak yet but you're safer with some tar. You can also bring the base with and just check which lags fit through the holes at the base. :)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#3 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

I use lag bolts for mine. I think an 1 1/2" or longer and I think it was a 3/8 lag. I also like to get some lock washers and I'd probably grab some tar in a caulk tube for sealing. Put some in the holes and also on the base. Some people use silicone which is fine, just make sure it's outdoor. I've done it with no caulk and have never had a leak yet but you're safer with some tar. You can also bring the base with and just check which lags fit through the holes at the base. :)

Thanks so much. It gives me somewhere to start. I've done dishes before just not this 5 lnb guy. Really helpful. I always use something in the holes too. Better safe like you say. Thanks again. I'll try to tackle this in the next two days. The joy! :)

#4 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:45 PM

Oops, I had one more question:

I was curious, if someone had an odd transponder, for each satellite I could use, when checking signal strength. a transponder that is nation-wide. Easy for 101, just use transponder 1, but there are so few transponders used on the other satellites I'm always scared I'm on one that isn't used, or that is a spot-beam for another area.

thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

For the 5LNB, I believe you really want to line up your 119. Once you get that pretty good the others should fall in place nicely. When you're close with that, fine tune the 103 and 99 as those are your smallest bands and your least forgiving. Shoot for the 90s and don't settle for less if you can help it.

The 5LNB should have two supports for the arm as well. I don't have one and it's been fine for over a year now with no tweaking or anything. I've even moved it once from the back to the front for a better LOS. Good luck and be careful! Post back with any more questions or just an update. :)
- Andy

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

Just a note, 99(B) and 103(a) aren't equally visible from all parts of the country.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:07 AM

For the 5LNB, I believe you really want to line up your 119. Once you get that pretty good the others should fall in place nicely. When you're close with that, fine tune the 103 and 99 as those are your smallest bands and your least forgiving. Shoot for the 90s and don't settle for less if you can help it.

The 5LNB should have two supports for the arm as well. I don't have one and it's been fine for over a year now with no tweaking or anything. I've even moved it once from the back to the front for a better LOS. Good luck and be careful! Post back with any more questions or just an update. :)

Thanks. I may add the extra supports at some point too.

So I guess for the 103 and 99 sats you just have to wait until you're working at it to see what transponders might be visible and register a signal? I'm going to try to follow the procedure by the book (manual) in terms of aiming and hope that works. :) ha.

#8 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:32 AM

The most important thing is to make sure your mast is plumb, level and doesn't move at all. Depending on how you mount it, you may want to get a monopole for extra support.

Watch the videos on solidsignal.com, and follow the instructions step by step that came with the dish.

You must peak 101 first, then 119, then 103 and 99. Depending on where you live and where you get your locals from, aimming 103 and 99 can be tricky.

But, you can install and aim this dish yourself, I did mine last weekend, its not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:31 AM

It's not too hard at all, just scary the first time out. ;)
- Andy

#10 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:20 AM

Thanks. I may add the extra supports at some point too. .

Great idea to add them now. This dish is heavy and is like a wind sail.

So I guess for the 103 and 99 sats you just have to wait until you're working at it to see what transponders might be visible and register a signal? I'm going to try to follow the procedure by the book (manual) in terms of aiming and hope that works.

The "book" procedure doesn't use the 103 and 99 to dial in the 103 and 99, it uses a "dither" method around the 101, where you already have 101 az and el peaked (and you have already peaked the 119 via tilt), and you rotate "X" turns of the az alignment screw in one direction, note the signal strength on the 101 odd transponder, turn it "Y" turns the other direction until recieving the same signal strength, then turn back the original direction by "Y/2 turns".
Trigger

#11 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

Oops, I had one more question:

I was curious, if someone had an odd transponder, for each satellite I could use, when checking signal strength. a transponder that is nation-wide. Easy for 101, just use transponder 1, but there are so few transponders used on the other satellites I'm always scared I'm on one that isn't used, or that is a spot-beam for another area.

thanks.

If you are using a meter such as the acutrac pro or acutrac III, it will send an appropriate signal by regulating the voltage and tone. If you are trying to use the reciever, then use the signal strength test page and obviously use an appropriate transponder that gives you signal (may have to guess a few, but most of the transponders are active on the 101 and 119)
Trigger

#12 OFFLINE   HolyRoses

HolyRoses

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

Follow the install documentation at http://www.solidsign...tion_Manual.pdf

It's pretty good. I used the install docs.

Assemble your dish on the ground and take the time to figure out how it really goes together and the orientation of the bolts and stuff.

I used a $10 signal meter to peak mine. I had an installer come out because I ordered a new HR20 receiver and he was amazed how good of a signal I was able to achieve using that cheap meter.

I used the meter in combination with a 13" tv and a directv box, just to confirm i was on the right sats. The meter however is analog and is much more precise than the directv meter. I didn't even have to use the dither method.

-HR

#13 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:21 AM

My installers use 5/16x2". When mounting to the roof, be certain to hit serious lumber like a rafter with at least two the bolts or better yet us a U-bolts around the rafter.

Get the monopoles as soon as possible unless you live in an area that never has high winds. :)

Then fine tune on 101° as described in the Solidsignal videos. Some bases use a dither for the azimuth, some use calibrated screws for both elevation and azimuth.

Take your time and all will go very well. You can use either a meter or a receiver to align, in my mind a receiver beats an analogue meter everytime. but a good digital beats the receiver. :) (And paper covers rock, scissors cuts paper, rock smashes scissors.)

If you get 95 on at least one transponder for 99 or 103, then you will be very solid even in most rain storms.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#14 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

I had them take mine off roof and mount in in corner of yard. They concreted a pole in groud, ran new cable underground to house and re-aligned dish, all for $52.80. Well worth it!:D

#15 OFFLINE   aim2pls

aim2pls

Icon

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

I had them take mine off roof and mount in in corner of yard. They concreted a pole in groud, ran new cable underground to house and re-aligned dish, all for $52.80. Well worth it!:D

AND damn cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lucky you

#16 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Sorry to really ask the same thing again, but I'm really curious to know, so I don't freak out later.

Will I see some signal on 99 & 103 if I have done everything right even before the new sats arrive there, or may it be a zero on every transponder?

#17 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

Considering that the dish and installation are free when you get a receiver, why would you purchase a dish and spend the time installing it on your own?

I'm assuming the answer is similar to why would someone voluntarily run a marathon, or climb Mt. Everest.

#18 OFFLINE   Andrew67

Andrew67

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

Considering that the dish and installation are free when you get a receiver, why would you purchase a dish and spend the time installing it on your own?

This is the first time I've had DirecTV install a dish at my house. In the past, I've always handled the install myself. And... I have a feeling I'll be re-doing this install on my own as well. DirecTV's installers are simply terrible. The take shortcuts, they don't stop, take a breath and assess the situation. They get in and out in the shortest possible time with little regard for the job or the customer. It's pathetic.

#19 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

This is the first time I've had DirecTV install a dish at my house. In the past, I've always handled the install myself. And... I have a feeling I'll be re-doing this install on my own as well. DirecTV's installers are simply terrible. The take shortcuts, they don't stop, take a breath and assess the situation. They get in and out in the shortest possible time with little regard for the job or the customer. It's pathetic.

I've installed the 1 lnb dish and the 3 lnb dish. But, I stopped there. I've guess I've been lucky, my installation for my 5 lnb dish was done well and professionally. Also, my parents was done well, also. The installer was even crawling under the house running two extra lines to the Tivo in the second room, all at no additional charge. My thought would be to give the installer a chance, and if you don't like his work, you can always redo it and the dish would be free.

spam firewall