Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do they plan on enabling the usb port for use with a wireless usb network adapter?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

Does anyone know? It would only seem logical that they do, as you can get them now for around $25-$30, maybe even cheaper as opposed to the cheapest wireless ethernet bridge, in which the cheapest I've seen was around $50 or so.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:44 AM

highly doubt it.. way to complicated, too many types/drivers for usb adapters..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

Well, they could enable it and say we only support the following 3 or 4 usb adapters, etc. At least they could, no?

#4 OFFLINE   dcborn61

dcborn61

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:55 AM

I also don't understand why they don't sell their own (~$50) and say "This is the one we support." USB is just easier, no extra power cords, etc.
HR20-700 ==>6' Monoprice HDMI cable==>Philips 32" LCD 32PF7320A/37

Networked via Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP

....and still have DVR80 as main DVR

#5 OFFLINE   saryon

saryon

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:02 AM

They could limit it to a small subset of adapters like TiVo.....

#6 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:27 AM

exactly, I see no reason why they can't support just a few. Seems stupid to me.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:31 AM

Does anyone know? It would only seem logical that they do, as you can get them now for around $25-$30, maybe even cheaper as opposed to the cheapest wireless ethernet bridge, in which the cheapest I've seen was around $50 or so.

To answer your question directly, (no pun intended), They do not plan on this. There is an ethrnet port on the HR20 and there is no plan to use any other port for networking. Period.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

It is in the Wish List, go vote for it.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=93995

What is a mother to do!

Yes there is a reason I picked "N" networking. Go forward, the device will be at the top of the line and will still go to "g" and "b" speeds.
Below is what I put in some time ago.

Driver support for "N" USB wireless devices to more easily integrate wireless networking

Pick a few well known network providers like Linksys, Netgear, and DLink and supply drivers for them in the HR20 OS. Advantages: Able to control settings for product to tune for HR20 use specifically. BIG PLUS! Limit the amount of support to known and tested units. OEM would provide technical support directly to D*. Easy end user configuration, plug it in and go after completing network setup screen. D* makes money by reselling the product, could even be an option to install. Could "Brand" the product to "D*". "N" type wireless is optimum technology for VOD usage when wireless is needed. Disadvantages: D* would be the maintainer of the driver. Would have to release update when required. Support calls would increase on network issues, however ultimately the OEM would be doing the work. Alternative: Could use a Ethernet bridge instead of the USB. However, setup and control would be lost. With selected OEM's, D* could provide a document on how to set up the particular supported products. NO MORE GUESS WORK for "Joe Six Pack". Could still D* "Brand" the product and re-sale it.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

Why. There is an Ethernet port.

#10 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

To answer your question directly, (no pun intended), They do not plan on this. There is an ethrnet port on the HR20 and there is no plan to use any other port for networking. Period.

Does anyone know why it's ( USB )even there?

#11 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

Are you be joking or being stupid?

If you do not know "why" or understand, then ask. If you think they're the same, well...

#12 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

I would guess they plan(ned) on using it for wireless networking via usb maybe at some point.

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

Are you be joking or being stupid?

If you do not know "why" or understand, then ask. If you think they're the same, well...

No, not being stupid. Ethernet is for network connections. You only use USB if there is no Ethernet option. Since the HR20 has Ethernet, using USB for networking is not needed. Run a $7 Cat5 and you're connected if you want the cheapest way to connect.

With Ethernet DirecTV support virtually nothing in terms of drivers and such. USB just complicates things and give for more points of failures.

Simple really.

Sorry if you want to use USB but you can't. Ethernet is better in all ways for network connections.

Just like eSata is better for external storage then USB. And guess what, the HR20 has an eSata connection. ;)

#14 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

USB is activated now and used for very high end Home Theater control systems. That's the use of the USB on the HR20.

#15 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

Sure glad it wasn't me who pulled the cat's tail... :lol:

They could make it easy if they sold a D* branded USB or an RJ45 Network Bridge Device. But I'm just a lonly VODless punk with stupid ideas and nothing to do... :(

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#16 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

No, not being stupid. Ethernet is for network connections. You only use USB if there is no Ethernet option. Since the HR20 has Ethernet, using USB for networking is not needed. Run a $7 Cat5 and you're connected if you want the cheapest way to connect.

With Ethernet DirecTV support virtually nothing in terms of drivers and such. USB just complicates things and give for more points of failures.

Simple really.

Sorry if you want to use USB but you can't. Ethernet is better in all ways for network connections.

Just like eSata is better for external storage then USB. And guess what, the HR20 has an eSata connection. ;)

If someone has multiple receivers throughout the house, running cat5 is not always an option. I'm not going to start wall phishing, drilling holes, etc. You also then have to (in my case) buy an ethernet switch.

Not everybody lives in their mommy's basement with their cable modem/router next to their HR20.

No one is stating that usb networking is better than ethernet, so bringing up that point brings nothing to this conversation and is an irrelevant point.

Yes, there is always the option of using wireless ethernet bridges. However, the point was that they COULD enable a small subset of wireless usb networking devices. Here is why, in case you still fail to understand:

1. They are smaller and take up much less space.
2. Require no external power (run off usb power).
3. No required extra lines or cables (no ethernet cabling, no power cables)
4. They are MUCH cheaper.
5. For the purpose they would serve, would be just as good, if not better.

So us saying it would be great to have, doesn't mean please tell us why YOU don't think we need it. Especially when you have no viable reasons for stating as such.

#17 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Jeeze, calm down there guy. No need to get upset. This discussion has been thru the ringer many times already, there is no need to hash thru it again.

HR20 - Ethernet for networking, eSata for storage, USB for home theater control.

And as has been stated, they aren't going to do USB for networking. Doesn't change the fact you want it but it's not going to happen.

Good luck!

P.S.
By the way, I like "mommy's basement", that was good. Actually, in the house I have owned for 10 years my cable modem is in my upstairs home office and my home theater in the basement. My "mommy" is retired and lives about 300 miles away. Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

#18 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

Jeeze, calm down there guy. No need to get upset. This discussion has been thru the ringer many times already, there is no need to hash thru it again.

HR20 - Ethernet for networking, eSata for storage, USB for home theater control.

And as has been stated, they aren't going to do USB for networking. Doesn't change the fact you want it but it's not going to happen.

Good luck!

P.S.
By the way, I like "mommy's basement", that was good. Actually, in the house I have owned for 10 years my cable modem is in my upstairs home office and my home theater in the basement. My "mommy" is retired and lives about 300 miles away. Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Riiiight. ;)

But thank you for clearing up what each port is for. I was sooo confused as to what they all did, as I'm sure a lot of others here were.

Thank God we have someone like you here to set us straight and tell us what we really mean when we say something.

Also, thank you for letting me, and every one else here know that you are a DirecTV employee. Otherwise you couldn't say with any authority that usb networking will never happen, right?

Thought so.

#19 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

Ok. Just do a search, it's been brought up before of what the plans for the USB port is. That's why people in this thread (besides me) have told you no. But I guess there is always a chance though.

Good luck.

Love your flaming though, it really spices up the day.

#20 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

What is it with you? You just can't help yourself or something? Are you one of those: I have to have the last word, type of person?

Are you simply trying to divert the real reason for this thread? You have been known to do that, many times as well.

And no, please don't answer. I really don't want to hear any useless dribble you have to say.

Good Luck!

spam firewall