Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do they plan on enabling the usb port for use with a wireless usb network adapter?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

I say it as authoritative as I can... even without being an employee...

Straight up: It is not in the plans, it is not even on the dart board as an option to be considered at this time.

There is no plans to have any type of USB Wireless adapters for the HR20.
Even a dedicated single model that DirecTV could send.

Could this change... sure, but don't count on it for some time.

There are multiple different ethernet bridge options, being single device, or an entire router switch.

There are also the power line connectivity products that are being released and will be used in installs (see the other thread and announcements).

[Moderator note]
Enough of the flaming... all of you
[/moderator note]
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

Well, they could enable it and say we only support the following 3 or 4 usb adapters, etc. At least they could, no?

They could limit it to a small subset of adapters like TiVo.....

exactly, I see no reason why they can't support just a few. Seems stupid to me.

That is EXACTLY the model they want to avoid...

It was a nightmare... both in the community forum (TCF), and for TiVo support. With newever revisions of the same models comming out, that need different drives.

Not only did you have to hae the right model, you had to have the right versions. And not all of the packaging of them dictated the version, and online ordering houses, would not guarantee what sub-version you would get.

Then mix in the complexities of security protocols (what models supports what security protocol), the setup screens for wireless (which are much more elaborate then wired), ect...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   fwlogue

fwlogue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

Does anyone know? It would only seem logical that they do, as you can get them now for around $25-$30, maybe even cheaper as opposed to the cheapest wireless ethernet bridge, in which the cheapest I've seen was around $50 or so.

I just picked up a ZyXEL P-330WC 4 Port Wireless Broadband Router, 802.11g, b for $30.00. This has a bridge mode built in. Give it a static IP, Set it to Client and bridge, Turn off DCHP in it and it works great. Plus you wind up with 3 other lan ports near your HR-20 to use.
Fred

AU9 > WB68 and SWM5 > 3 - HR20-700, 2 - R15, 1 - H20-600

#24 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Sure glad it wasn't me who pulled the cat's tail... :lol:

They could make it easy if they sold a D* branded USB or an RJ45 Network Bridge Device. But I'm just a lonly VODless punk with stupid ideas and nothing to do... :(

You are right, they could sell their own branded USB adapter, or RJ45 Network bridge... ala XBOX360 style.

And it is possible they may go that route in the long run, but as of right now... no, it is not in the plans.

If you need a wirless solution, you will need one of the commercially available options.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#25 OFFLINE   Vor

Vor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

USB is activated now and used for very high end Home Theater control systems. That's the use of the USB on the HR20.

I thought it was to power the external fan?

(I kid)

#26 OFFLINE   vestaviaScott

vestaviaScott

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

Believe it or not, I asked a BB salesperson about hooking my HR20 to the Internet and he told me he had used a USB adapter. I told him the USB port was disabled and he said in effect, that he knew that but he tried it anyway and it worked! Go figure...

#27 OFFLINE   dorfmunder

dorfmunder

Pick 'em off, Yadi!

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

I'd like to see keyboard functionality on the usb ports myself!
- Melanie, a chick who enjoys the finer things: baseball, geeky gadgets, my v-dub, yarn, & coffee.

My Setup

spam firewall