Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Automatic Updates?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coit

coit

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:56 AM

I asked this in another thread, but didn't get a reply, so I'm trying again...

Is there a way to control when/how the units download and install updates. I was surprised to see that my -100 had updated itself without any intervention on my part.

Given that some folks have lost all their recordings due to an update, it would be nice to at least have the opportunity to catch up on shows before risking everything to an update.

I haven't had to worry about stuff like this since I had a DISHPlayer 5 years ago....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:05 AM

Is there a way to control when/how the units download and install updates. I was surprised to see that my -100 had updated itself without any intervention on my part.

Given that some folks have lost all their recordings due to an update, it would be nice to at least have the opportunity to catch up on shows before risking everything to an update.

I haven't had to worry about stuff like this since I had a DISHPlayer 5 years ago....

Sorry but no there is not. When DirecTV pushes a update to the receiver it will ask if it is ok to start downloading. But you only have a few minutes to stop it. Even if you do stop it the update will try again a little while later.

#3 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

1st it is rare that you loose recordings on an update (even rarer on a national release)
2nd no there is no way to control updates..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#4 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:08 AM

Nope, you can't control it--it is automatic. Lately the updates have been pretty solid and not many have had problems. Purely speculating on my part, but I might think the update rates will slow way down soon, as things are working pretty well now.
Trigger

#5 OFFLINE   coit

coit

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. That was primarily my concern. The unit is working well for me so far, so I don't see a need to update the software.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I specifically waited 8 months to get this sucker until the worked out the kinks....

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

Automatic updates for HR20 receivers have been about once a month for the last several months. There is nothing you can do to control whether or not you get one. Even if you happen to unplug your satellite lines when an update is coming, you will get it the next night after you plug them back in.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

With features such as DoD coming soon, you'll see the need to update the software... ;)
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#8 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

With features such as DoD coming soon, you'll see the need to update the software... ;)

We in the DoD are already spread pretty thin, do we have to now guard future updates too? At least you called us a "feature". :D

Obviously, just kidding. I think he means VOD-video on demand.
Trigger

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

A pair of terms are the same in this context: VOD and DOD are both DIRECTV's Video on Demand, marketed as DIRECTV on Demand.

Updates have been very stable lately. Typically the only reason someone loses all their programming has been a hard disk that is in the early stages of failing; a bad situation to be in.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

DIRECTV on Demand.....

... and GO BLUE :D
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

spam firewall