Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-700: Loss of HD locals, menu reset fixed. Anyone else seen this?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

I came home from work yesterday and tried to tune to one of my HD locals (satellite delivered, from 103) by entering the channel number directly (specifically, channel 26).

The banner displayed the correct channel and program info, but I had a black screen. Pressing info brought up the correct banner and info for the channel, but blank screen.

Now here's the weird part:

If I clicked on "guide", the guide showed the box to be on channel 201. But, if I exited the guide, and hit "info", the info banner showed the info and channel number for the HD local I had tried to tune to! (Channel 26, info showed "ABC26 news at 6").

I tried tuning to each of my (satellite delivered) HD locals and they all did the exact same thing. The same thing would happen if I tried to tune to them directly, or if I tried to select them from the guide. OTA was working normally. All MPEG2 channels, HD and SD appeared to be working normally. My SD locals appeared to be normal.

I checked signal levels on all sats. The signal levels on the transponder on 103 that carries my HD locals was 86. (It's usually in the low to mid 90's but it was very heavy overcast at the time.)

I checked my HR20-100 and it was working normally, and could tune in these HD local channels with no problem. (Signal also 86.)

I did a reset of the HR20-700 from the menu, and it corrected the problem, all was well. Signal on 103 after the reset was still about 86.

I'm wondering if maybe the -700 got "confused" by the addition of the new B-Band transponder definitions at 103 that got put into the stream yesterday.

In any case, all is still fine this morning, and the sky is clearer so my signal on the "important" transponder at 103 was reading 93, which is typical on a clear day. (In best of conditions it's about 95).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

For a short time, perhaps just a couple days, my HD locals were labeled with A3 at the beginning of the channel name. Today I see that is no longer the case. So changes are being made, as you well know.

I think that your analysis, coupled with other channel changes might be the problem. Most importantly, I'm glad they got fixed.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

I think it's just a sign that things are changing in the system. Trust me, great stuff is just a little while away and this is just a temporary hiccup. I don't think it's a hardware issue with your receiver.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall