Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best way to control 2 Hr-20's in the same room?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skakusha

skakusha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

I currently have an HR20-100 and an HR20-700 in the Home Theater Room, along with a Slingbox.

I control the HR20-700 via my Harmony 880 universal remote. Since this box is in IR mode I can also use my Slingbox for that box.

The HR20-100 is in RF mode. When using it in IR mode, there was a lot of conflict between the two boxes . The installers, DTV tech support, and I all tried different set-ups and I could not find anything better then the RF/IR environment mentioned above

All DTV boxes are in a cabinet with glass front. Oddly enough the HR20-100 in RF mode, has the most issues. You have to aim at the box to get proper response. I tried 3 HR20-100's and this was the best box out of all of them.

While my setup is okay, I was wondering if anybody has a different approach. Right now I have the Harmony remote sitting next to a DTV remote for the RF HR20-100. Oddly enough, that boxes remote does not recognize my Yamaha receiver, even though the HR20-700's DTV remote found it well. Now I switch back an forth between remotes, but I always am tied to the Harmony remote for volume control.

Any thoughts?

Anybody experiencing the same issues with the remote set in RF?

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Robert Norman

Robert Norman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

I currently have an HR20-100 and an HR20-700 in the Home Theater Room, along with a Slingbox.

I control the HR20-700 via my Harmony 880 universal remote. Since this box is in IR mode I can also use my Slingbox for that box.

The HR20-100 is in RF mode. When using it in IR mode, there was a lot of conflict between the two boxes . The installers, DTV tech support, and I all tried different set-ups and I could not find anything better then the RF/IR environment mentioned above

All DTV boxes are in a cabinet with glass front. Oddly enough the HR20-100 in RF mode, has the most issues. You have to aim at the box to get proper response. I tried 3 HR20-100's and this was the best box out of all of them.

While my setup is okay, I was wondering if anybody has a different approach. Right now I have the Harmony remote sitting next to a DTV remote for the RF HR20-100. Oddly enough, that boxes remote does not recognize my Yamaha receiver, even though the HR20-700's DTV remote found it well. Now I switch back an forth between remotes, but I always am tied to the Harmony remote for volume control.

Any thoughts?

Anybody experiencing the same issues with the remote set in RF?

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

This thread told me how to do it and it works like a charm.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=94875

One operates as DIRECTV and the other operates as AV1 on the remote.
Mike
DIRECTV customer since Jan 1996
Dish: 5 LNB Slimline with Zinwell WB68 MS +
3 LNB dish with Terk 5X8 power MS
Attic: RS Medium range outdoor OTA antenna
connected to Terk 5x8 MS
HR20-100 DVR with 750G Seagate E-SATA drive
HR20-700 DVR with 750G Seagate E-SATA drive
HR10-250 DVR
H20 High Def receiver
R10 DVR Standard DVR
Sony SAT-60 Standard DVR when twin 120G drives
Philips DSR6000 Standard DVR when single 120G drive
RCA DIRECTV receiver

#3 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

switch the Hr20-100 back to IR, then set it to the alternate IR address 00003, like so: First program the AV1 or AV2 device with code 00003.

Cover the HR20-700, with HR20-100 remote in the dtv device, the following directions are for the HR20 on-screen menu

1. menu> settings> setup> remote> receiver mode>

2. tap DIRECTV or AV1/AV2 to reveal both

3. press AV1/AV2, the remote shouldn't work any longer, slide the remote to AV1 or AV2 device which has code 00003 programmed

4. press Done
aka Tivoburkee

#4 OFFLINE   skakusha

skakusha

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

Edmund, thanks a lot. It works awesome. You have truly earned the "Remote Master" title. I now have much better remote control response and I can control the volume on the Yamaha receiver.

Mike, thanks for the links as well. I am using the links and info to program the Harmony 880 and do away with the dual remotes. I will just teach the remote codes to the Harmony.

Now I only need to call Sling and see if the can add a another set of DTV codes so that I can use the Slingbox with both DTV boxes. As much as I would love to be able to do that, that is minor in comparison to what you guys helped me resolve. It has been a headache for a while, and I should have posted sooner.

This takes my three remotes down to two. My next project is to find a good IR/RF converter/remote for the PS3 and teach those codes to the Harmony.

Thanks again!!!

spam firewall