Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CNN HD ready to go, DirecTV only for now

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

Article states the only reason it's not up yet is D10 delay. Also indicates no other cable or satellite provider carriage yet.

http://www.broadcast...cleID=CA6474130

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

Article states the only reason it's not up yet is D10 delay. Also indicates no other cable or satellite provider carriage yet.

http://www.broadcast...cleID=CA6474130

When showing 4:3 video, CNN HD will fill the 16:9 screen by adding graphic sidebars, says Hesskamp: “We’re not going to stretch our video.”

This is the best thing I read in the article, it gives a small glimmer of hope that MAYBE the test of the Turner networks will not use stretchovision forever.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

When showing 4:3 video, CNN HD will fill the 16:9 screen by adding graphic sidebars, says Hesskamp: “We’re not going to stretch our video.”

This is the best thing I read in the article, it gives a small glimmer of hope that MAYBE the test of the Turner networks will not use stretchovision forever.

That's REALLY interesting considering:

To maintain consistency and avoid the diminished visual experience of pillaring, all commercials on TBS in HD will be presented in a widescreen format.

TBS in HD will be broadcast in 1080i 24 hours a day and use Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound across all TBS in HD programming. In addition, TBS in HD will present all of its programming, including promotional content and commercials, in 16:9 wide-screen, giving viewers a consistent viewing experience.

TBS to Go High Def September 1st

~Alan

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

A bit wishy-washy on the go-live date ....
In one place it says "a few weeks" and in another it says "mid September". Mid-September's only two weeks away on my calendar :)
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

Well hopefully they'll be able someway to ditch all that junk at the bottom of the screen and put it on the sides! That would be actually useful for the pillar's! /gasp /gasp

#6 OFFLINE   doodlemebug

doodlemebug

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

Araxen, THAT is the correct way to handle it. put that stuff on the sides, so shows in 4x3 are not covered.

Plus a god place for trivia, extra commercials and etc

#7 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

Araxen, THAT is the correct way to handle it. put that stuff on the sides, so shows in 4x3 are not covered.

Plus a god place for trivia, extra commercials and etc

Please, God, NOOOO! Pillars should be nothing but a nice, non distracting BLACK (or gray, if your TV is a big weenie :lol: ).

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:34 PM

No one has in this thread, but some people have talked about "how easy it is to switch to HD". The last line was very, very telling:

Says Hesskamp, “I think the biggest change for us is that nothing is really plug-and-play anymore. Every single piece of equipment has to really be tweaked and tested.”

And estimated costs of $10M aren't something to sneeze at either!

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:38 PM

No one has in this thread, but some people have talked about "how easy it is to switch to HD". The last line was very, very telling:

And estimated costs of $10M aren't something to sneeze at either!

Cheers,
Tom

ah....ah....ah...choooooo! :lol:

I hear you, tibber, but I can't believe this whole "HD thing" really sneaked up on them, either.

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

It hasn't, at least not for CNN. I noticed that the cost is only estimated to be $10M since they built the broadcast center with HD in mind starting in 2004. :)

And they've been playing with the cameras for some time, already replacing them in the field.

They've done a great job as near as I can tell.

Cheers,
Tom

(Funny you sneeze--I've got a cold and am sneezing a lot tonight. Coudn't help but use that idiom in my OP.) :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...