Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big Ten Network and MDU woes!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brewsta

Brewsta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I live in an MDU (Multiple Dwelling Unit... in other words, an apartment) here in Ames, Iowa. My landlord has an agreement with a local DirecTV reseller called ICS to provide an analog bulk overlay for all of the apartment units here.

Provided for free as part of my normal rent is what they have dubbed "DirecTV Total Choice Limited"... my local channels and between 55 other channels... pretty much the equivalent of expanded basic cable. All I have to do to receive this package is simply connect a coax cable from the wall jack to my TV. Absolutely no DirecTV receiver is required.

However, ICS (again, local DirecTV reseller) also offers the opportunity to upgrade your service beyond this Limited package. Since we have an HDTV, we have chosen to do so. We upgraded to the full Total Choice package, plus Total Choice Plus, plus HD Access, plus the Sports Pak. Essentially, we get *EVERY* normal channel except for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz.

Hearing about the Appalachian State - Michigan game... I had wanted to catch this on the Big Ten Network... which I understand is available on the normal Total Choice package. I went to tune to the channel (220) and got the "Channel not purchased. (721)" error message. I got the same error message on all the alternate channels too.

I tried a receiver reset, and had no luck. So I called D*... and the first woman I talked to insisted since I had the "Limited" package I wasn't eligible for the BTN. I explained the whole situation to her, but it did no good.

I thanked her, hung up, and called back. The next CSR understood my situation better and agreed with me that I should get it (the BTN). She tried "sending a signal to my receiver", and when that didn't work, had me try a reset. No luck there, so she "sent a signal" again. After that didn't work, she said she was transferring me to "tech support" -- that's who I thought I was talking to!!

The next woman on the line again agreed with me again, and again tried a few different things. At first all my HD channels disappeared completely... but they showed up again, a few at a time. My roommate just wanted to watch the Notre Dame game and to stop messing around with the receiver, so I thanked the woman for her efforts, and decided to call back later.

So, with all that said... any ideas or suggestions for how to best get DirecTV to fix this? Anyone else had similar issues? Thanks in advance for any and all help. :)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

Since TC and TCPlus are expired packages and even though these packages do get the BTN, yours is an "add-on" package. As an add-on, it just may contain specific channels and not be upgraded as new channels are added.

Call D* back and see if you can upgrade to the Choice or Choice Extra add-on.

Let us know how it goes.:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...