Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Required Phone Line for NFL Sunday Ticket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   waterengineer81

waterengineer81

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:51 PM

Is it a requirement to have a phone line to recieve NFL Sunday Ticket?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:53 PM

I dont think D* REQUIRES a phone line for anything.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:37 AM

It's in the terms & conditions for Sunday Ticket, but will work fine without a phone connection.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

I posted something like this when I signed up. Not only was I told by the great members of this forum that the ONLY thing it is needed for is PPV, but I was also told by the CSR and her Manager when I needed further confirmation that SAME thing. He said with the new box D* boxes program data and sub info is obtained via sat now. No phone line for me and everything is great. However, my old D* Tivo box won't function since it does need a phone line to get program data. They send me a R15 to replace it and all is right with the world now :)

#5 OFFLINE   azshaw

azshaw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

My brother has had NFL ST for 7 years and has never had his phone line hooked up.

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

Is it a requirement to have a phone line to recieve NFL Sunday Ticket?

Yes & no.

It's part of the terms and conditions of your customer agreement.

However, D* hasn't enforced it for a long time. Could they decide one day to enforce the phone line requirement for the sports packages? Sure. There will be a lot of PO'ed people out there calling in wanting to know WTF is going on. Will they do it, I don't think so. But, I have been wrong once or twice before. :)

So, if you have a land line, why not plug it in and get the few perks of plugging it in?
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#7 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

I posted something like this when I signed up. Not only was I told by the great members of this forum that the ONLY thing it is needed for is PPV, but I was also told by the CSR and her Manager when I needed further confirmation that SAME thing. He said with the new box D* boxes program data and sub info is obtained via sat now. No phone line for me and everything is great. However, my old D* Tivo box won't function since it does need a phone line to get program data. They send me a R15 to replace it and all is right with the world now :)

All DirecTV-TiVos receive the program data from the satellites and not from the phone line. I have 2 series one DirecTiVos (Sony SAT-T60), 4 series two DirecTiVos (HDVR2) and 2 HD DirecTiVos (HR10-250) and none of them are plugged into a phone line and all have current guide (program) data. I also have 2 HR20-700s, networked, but not plugged into a phone line.

I have NFL-ST, NBA-LP and MLB-EI and I have never had a problem with not having a phone line.

#8 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:23 AM

All DirecTV-TiVos receive the program data from the satellites and not from the phone line. I have 2 series one DirecTiVos (Sony SAT-T60), 4 series two DirecTiVos (HDVR2) and 2 HD DirecTiVos (HR10-250) and none of them are plugged into a phone line and all have current guide (program) data. I also have 2 HR20-700s, networked, but not plugged into a phone line.

I have NFL-ST, NBA-LP and MLB-EI and I have never had a problem with not having a phone line.

Interesting. My Tivo (Phillips model Directv Tivo based unit) would be just fine after a call to tech support and then about 1 week later it would give a message saying that the box hasn't made a successful call in "x" amount of days and to do so immediately. At that point it would remove the DVR functionality of the box and I would have to call back to get them to "reset" my account to allow it to DVR. Apparently the Tivo and DVR boxes are different in the eyes of the computer system. For example, I had 2 charges for 5.99 DVR service and called and they said, that's odd, it's one fee for the ENTIRE house. After a bit of digging around they found that the "DVR" monthly fee only recognizes the Directv based boxes and not the Tivo boxes. They had to "add" the Tivo box and then "zero" out the charge. What a PITA! The CSR (Tech) said, I'd be happy to send you a R15 at no charge if you want to replace it. I accepted.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...