Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA is Awesome!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   deepthinker

deepthinker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:58 AM

Well with the pending arrival of the new HD channels and the new upcoming TV season I decided to take the plunge with the eSATA. Found a Seagate 750 GB drive and an external enclosure for $250 shipped. Plugged it in and all was good from the get go. Man that is so much nicer than the old Tivo days with the Linux boot CD and having to stick crap in a PC. When the terabyte drives drop in price, I'll stick this drive on the second HR20 and grab one of those for the primary HR20. Bring on the new HD channels!!!!!!!:hurah:

Now, as soon as the Remote Booking and DOD options are mass released it's time to network. :)
William
2 HR20-700's, 1 with eSATA 750GB Seagate HDD and Rosewill Enclosure
2 Tivo HD units both upgraded with 1TB drives
Samsung HLT6187SAX 61-Inch LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:38 AM

Well with the pending arrival of the new HD channels and the new upcoming TV season I decided to take the plunge with the eSATA. Found a Seagate 750 GB drive and an external enclosure for $250 shipped. Plugged it in and all was good from the get go. Man that is so much nicer than the old Tivo days with the Linux boot CD and having to stick crap in a PC. When the terabyte drives drop in price, I'll stick this drive on the second HR20 and grab one of those for the primary HR20. Bring on the new HD channels!!!!!!!:hurah:

Now, as soon as the Remote Booking and DOD options are mass released it's time to network. :)

After seeing a WD 750 GB bare disk drive on sale for $179 at Fry's this weekend, I was planing on doing the same thing, but then I got to thinking, why spend another $25-35 for an external ESATA enclosure and leave my current disk spinning uselessly inside my HR20 when I could just take my original disk out and replace it with the 750 GB one. Unlike what I've heard about the HR20-700s, disk access and removal/replacement is very easy on the HR20-100s, and as an added bonus, my HR20-100 didn't come with a "warranty void if seal broken" sticker, so if I ever need to return or replace my leased unit, I’ll just put the original disk back in and nobody will ever be the wiser.

The new 750GB disk is up and running inside my HR20 with no problems, and it seems to have about tripled my recording capacity, and best of all, no external enclosure to clutter things up and I’m not needlessly spinning my old disk while it’s not being used by the HR20 which will save a bit of energy and give me some additional backup power time from my UPS in the event of a power failure.

#3 OFFLINE   SoCalYJ

SoCalYJ

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

Is the drive formatted in NTFS or FAT32?

#4 OFFLINE   or270

or270

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:44 AM

Drive replacement on the HR20-700 was not that bad, takes about 15 minutes.
Trickiest part is removing the front faceplate.
HR34, H24-100

#5 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:32 AM

I'm going to give it a try this holiday. Costco has a Seagate 750 for $225 and the only thing I need is an esata cable from somewhere. I believe you only have to pull plug on receiver, attach esata and plug receiver back in. Did you check to be sure esata is your main drive?

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:01 AM

Is the drive formatted in NTFS or FAT32?

DIRECTV uses their own format in partitions with Linux partition types. Very little else along those lines may be shared here at DBSTalk.com.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:02 AM

Moving this thread to the HR20 Information Resources subforum.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 OFFLINE   jayerndl

jayerndl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

After seeing a WD 750 GB bare disk drive on sale for $179 at Fry's this weekend, I was planing on doing the same thing, but then I got to thinking, why spend another $25-35 for an external ESATA enclosure and leave my current disk spinning uselessly inside my HR20 when I could just take my original disk out and replace it with the 750 GB one. Unlike what I've heard about the HR20-700s, disk access and removal/replacement is very easy on the HR20-100s, and as an added bonus, my HR20-100 didn't come with a "warranty void if seal broken" sticker, so if I ever need to return or replace my leased unit, I’ll just put the original disk back in and nobody will ever be the wiser.

Is there any detail information available on how to do this. I agree this seems better than an external drive upgrade. Thanks.

Jay

#9 OFFLINE   BRSlim

BRSlim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:51 AM

The new 750GB disk is up and running inside my HR20 with no problems, and it seems to have about tripled my recording capacity, and best of all, no external enclosure to clutter things up and I’m not needlessly spinning my old disk while it’s not being used by the HR20 which will save a bit of energy and give me some additional backup power time from my UPS in the event of a power failure.

I like this idea! Just got 2 HR20-700s and have one question; did you simply unplug the existing drive and plug in the new un-formatted drive? Or, did you have to do anything else to get it up and running? Besides opening and closing the case, of course. Oh, and which drive interface is needed?
Having been a D* customer for 12 years it just seems too simple.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

I like this idea! Just got 2 HR20-700s and have one question; did you simply unplug the existing drive and plug in the new un-formatted drive? Or, did you have to do anything else to get it up and running? Besides opening and closing the case, of course. Oh, and which drive interface is needed?

You have to power down the unit, plug in the eSata, and then plug in the HR20-700 again. I have 2 of these setups that work perfectly....yes...you are right...its great to have all that storage! :)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

Replacing the internal drive does not require formatting or file copy in advance. Some settings and all programming will be lost, but the drive is automatically discovered and formatted as necessary. (And this is true of either an internal replacement or external drive.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#12 OFFLINE   Paladin369

Paladin369

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

On an External, do I plug it into the USB port? Or what best?

Thank you

#13 OFFLINE   BRSlim

BRSlim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

Replacing the internal drive does not require formatting or file copy in advance. Some settings and all programming will be lost, but the drive is automatically discovered and formatted as necessary. (And this is true of either an internal replacement or external drive.)

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom!
Do you know if the drive interface matters; can it be Serial ATA or Ultra ATA?

#14 OFFLINE   BRSlim

BRSlim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

Any hints on removing the faceplate?

#15 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

Back to the eSata solution. DeepThinker, can you tell me the exact enclosure you used - I may as well get one known to work ok. Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:55 PM

Yep, nothing to it other than physically swapping drives, and plugging the power and data cables into the new drive (and don't forget to plug the fan back in if you disconnected it in the swap process).

You need a 3.5" Serial ATA (SATA) drive, NOT an IDE drive.

I did it on a HR20-100 which was very easy to access/remove/replace the disk. The HR20-700's are a little trickier as far as mechanically getting to and removing the disk, but people here have done it.

#17 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

Is there any detail information available on how to do this. I agree this seems better than an external drive upgrade. Thanks.

Jay

I will write up step by step instructions for the HR20-100 and post them in a new thread in this forum.

#18 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thankfully, it has been greatly simplified on the HR20-100 on which no removal of the front faceplate is necessary.

#19 OFFLINE   Cyrus

Cyrus

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:43 PM

I much prefer the eSATA solution to changing the internal drive. It's easier to set up and much better for archiving stuff. If eSATA fills up and I want to keep it's content it's easy to get another eSATA and then switch back and forth between the 2 eSATA drives.
HR20-700, native on, HDMI - Sony KLVS23A10
HR20-700, native on, component - Sony KF50WE610

#20 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

I much prefer the eSATA solution to changing the internal drive. It's easier to set up and much better for archiving stuff. If eSATA fills up and I want to keep it's content it's easy to get another eSATA and then switch back and forth between the 2 eSATA drives.

Changing out the internal drive still allows you to do that, but now instead of a small capacity/unused internal drive, you have a big one and still have the ability to archive even more stuff on external eSATA drives. Also, I'd be very warry of building up a huge archive on external drives as it is all "locked" to that individual HR20 that it was recorded on. If you ever need to replace your HR20 for another unit (even the same model HR20), your archive will turn into a bunch of useless bits on all your external disk drives.

spam firewall