Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB blackouts!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   millertime

millertime

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Can someone explain the blackout thing for me. The tigers are on 636 sd and channel 95 has the hd version. This happens alot and everytime it says this program not available in your area. I don't get it!!!!

#2 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

The Tigers are usually available for you watch in the following priority order:

1. Local Channels
2. Your RSN (636 in this case)
3. National Channels (such as ESPN)

The Tigers game today is on FSN Bay Area, which is not your RSN. You will never get a Tigers game in your area from the other team's RSN, even with MLBEI.

So the reason you don't get to see the game in HD on 95 is because you don't get FSNBA (654) and even if you got it as part of the sports pack, all pro baseball games would be blacked out.

Hope that helps:)

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:23 PM

Once again, I stress that DirecTV customers should NOT be blacked out of ANYthing if a sports package is exclusive to D* itself. The NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to D*. MLB EI is virtually exclusive to D*. If we as D* customers are paying good money--and we are, especially for the Sunday Ticket--then we should receive as a privilege the right to watch any of the games with no blackouts.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Off topic (a little), I tried to watch yesterday's A's-Tigers game on mlb.tv and it was blacked out there. My FOX affiliate was showing Mets-Braves, so I thought I could get my game on mlb.tv. Uh....nope.

What am I paying for again?

#5 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

Once again, I stress that DirecTV customers should NOT be blacked out of ANYthing if a sports package is exclusive to D* itself. The NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to D*. MLB EI is virtually exclusive to D*. If we as D* customers are paying good money--and we are, especially for the Sunday Ticket--then we should receive as a privilege the right to watch any of the games with no blackouts.

The various leagues own the rights and they alone decide what is broadcast and what is blacked out.

It has nothing to do with D*....
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

I know that, but that's not my point. If DirecTV is willing to pony up bucks to make a sports package exclusive, then their customers, who are paying substantial dollars to watch said programming, ought to be able to be exempt from such league-imposed blackouts. The NFL, MLB, et. al. should understand this.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#7 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

MLB EI is virtually exclusive to D*.

No, it isn't.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment behind your statements regarding blackouts.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#8 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:48 PM

I know that, but that's not my point. If DirecTV is willing to pony up bucks to make a sports package exclusive, then their customers, who are paying substantial dollars to watch said programming, ought to be able to be exempt from such league-imposed blackouts. The NFL, MLB, et. al. should understand this.

I would guess that 'exemptions' would violate the contracts that they've signed with RSNs, since I'm assuming that those involve exclusivity to broadcast. And they're not about to try to renegotiate all of those...

And since when does paying large amounts of money gain you anything but the vote of a politician?? !rolling
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

No, it isn't.

Yes it is, which is why I intentionally chose the word "virtually." But that's rather irrelevant here anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

I would guess that 'exemptions' would violate the contracts that they've signed with RSNs, since I'm assuming that those involve exclusivity to broadcast. And they're not about to try to renegotiate all of those...

And since when does paying large amounts of money gain you anything but the vote of a politician?? !rolling

MLB has final say on broadcast rights, even when RSN's come into play.

#11 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

The MLB owners met earlier this year and discussed all of the complaints regarding blackouts and hopefully they'll do a better job of handling these broadcast issues going forward (next year and beyond). It'll be a mute point as more and more games are broadcast in HD (both local broadcasts and opponent's broadcasts). The NFL has more control of the broadcast rights (the games are typically carried on local national networks or ESPN -- and there are far fewer games overall versus baseball). Many baseball teams have complicated broadcast rights with local RSNs, local channels, etc. and MLB does not have as much control over these broadcasts.

#12 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

Yes it is, which is why I intentionally chose the word "virtually." But that's rather irrelevant here anyway.

Still don't see what you mean. As a result of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth earlier this year, it's available on many cable systems across the nation...not exclusive to D*. Now if one were to live in an area whose cable system doesn't carry it, then sure it is "exclusive" to D* there. Unless you watch the online version -- which also has the blackout restrictions.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#13 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

Still don't see what you mean. As a result of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth earlier this year, it's available on many cable systems across the nation...not exclusive to D*. Now if one were to live in an area whose cable system doesn't carry it, then sure it is "exclusive" to D* there. Unless you watch the online version -- which also has the blackout restrictions.

Look up the word "virtually".

#14 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

No, they don't.

Right now, teams own local rights to games. It could change but MLB has national distribution rights, internet rights and satellite radio rights. The only one that doesn't recognize local rights is satellite radio, which is the latest to be set up.

That shows a desire by MLB to not protect local rights on national distribution systems but the contracts for local TV and radio (which includes internet TV) have to be rewritten and that will take time as there are dozens of them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#15 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

Anyone remember the disclaimer that used to procede all MLB broadcasts back in the day, either on radio or tv? It went something like this:

"Any retransmission, rebroadcast or accounts of this game without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, or the (insert local team name here) is prohibited"

As rjdude has stated earlier, MLB is aware of the concern and hopefully they will find a way to give the baseball fan access to all the games without restrictions.

#16 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

Anyone remember the disclaimer that used to procede all MLB broadcasts back in the day, either on radio or tv? It went something like this:

"Any retransmission, rebroadcast or accounts of this game without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, or the (insert local team name here) is prohibited"

As rjdude has stated earlier, MLB is aware of the concern and hopefully they will find a way to give the baseball fan access to all the games without restrictions.

maybe that's why they haven't started the "MLB" channel (ala the NFL or NBA channels). They probably couldn't carry any of the broadcasts because of all of the tanglements. If they can figure out how to start up that channel with broadcast rights, then maybe they can figure out the whole national mess.

#17 OFFLINE   millertime

millertime

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

So if fsn detroit was broadcasting the game in hd would I then be able to watch it on ch.95?

The Tigers are usually available for you watch in the following priority order:

1. Local Channels
2. Your RSN (636 in this case)
3. National Channels (such as ESPN)

The Tigers game today is on FSN Bay Area, which is not your RSN. You will never get a Tigers game in your area from the other team's RSN, even with MLBEI.

So the reason you don't get to see the game in HD on 95 is because you don't get FSNBA (654) and even if you got it as part of the sports pack, all pro baseball games would be blacked out.

Hope that helps:)

#18 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:46 PM

So if fsn detroit was broadcasting the game in hd would I then be able to watch it on ch.95?

Depends. If another local channel has broadcast rights (even if they decide NOT to carry the game), then the HD feed on channel 94/95 will be blocked. If no local channel has the rights, but D* decides to carry the HD feed from the opposing team (aka Yankees) and not the Detroit broadcast, then you probably won't get the game in HD because your local RSN wants you to watch their SD version.

#19 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:48 PM

No, they don't.

Yes, they do. Any transmission rights negotiated by local teams needs final approval from the MLB office.

#20 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:52 PM

Yes, they do. Any transmission rights negotiated by local teams needs final approval from the MLB office.

...but I believe that's just a formality! The big teams (think big markets) have a lot of money and power.

spam firewall