Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many lines are supposed to come from the Slimline dish to the back of the HR20?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flyingv

flyingv

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:18 PM

I recently switched to Directv from cable. The DirecTV installer put up the Slimline 5LNB dish on the same pole as a previous DishTV system. He used the same wires from the old system. There is one cable coming from the outside dish into my house. To this one cable the installer attached a 2 way splitter. The two outputs from the splitter are each attached to a B band converter, and the two B band converters are attached to satellite input 1 and 2. Am I supposed to have 2 cables coming from the outside dish so that each B band converter has it's own feed directly from the outside dish? I have had nothing but trouble with this system since it was installed. This is 1:03 Monday morning and I have been without service since Wednesday at 3:47 am when my system attempted to download an update. A tech was suppoed to have come to my house on Sunday between 1 and 5pm. At 5:50pm I got a call form the local rep informing me that the tech for my area had had some problems and that the next date I could hope for was Thursday. Is this what I can expect from Directv? I used to have DishTV and it sucked. I then had Time Warner Digital Cable with a HDVR. The picture quality with the digital cable was far superior to either satellite company and their service was excellent. The only reason I switched to DirecTV was the promise of over 150 HD channels. I have a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46XBR2.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:23 PM

I recently switched to Directv from cable. The DirecTV installer put up the Slimline 5LNB dish on the same pole as a previous DishTV system. He used the same wires from the old system. There is one cable coming from the outside dish into my house. To this one cable the installer attached a 2 way splitter. The two outputs from the splitter are each attached to a B band converter, and the two B band converters are attached to satellite input 1 and 2. Am I supposed to have 2 cables coming from the outside dish so that each B band converter has it's own feed directly from the outside dish? I have had nothing but trouble with this system since it was installed. This is 1:03 Monday morning and I have been without service since Wednesday at 3:47 am when my system attempted to download an update. A tech was suppoed to have come to my house on Sunday between 1 and 5pm. At 5:50pm I got a call form the local rep informing me that the tech for my area had had some problems and that the next date I could hope for was Thursday. Is this what I can expect from Directv? I used to have DishTV and it sucked. I then had Time Warner Digital Cable with a HDVR. The picture quality with the digital cable was far superior to either satellite company and their service was excellent. The only reason I switched to DirecTV was the promise of over 150 HD channels. I have a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46XBR2.

I would call right now and complain big time! I assume you have an HR20,then you need a dedicated line to each input for it to work properly.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:32 PM

Welcome to the forums, flyingv! :welcome_s

I have major doubts about this, but I have to check first. Mounted to the back of the dish or somewhere on the pole is there a grey box that takes 4 lines from the dish and feeds that to your line to the house? And then a power supply on the line inside the house? That would be a Single Wire Multiplexer (SWM) and I really doubt you have one...

If you do, you don't need the BBCs nor the splitter.

Anyway, to answer your direct question, normally you need 2 lines from the dish to the BBCs which are plugged into the inputs on the back of the HR20. You can also have a line from a standard antenna (indoor or outdoor) to supply OTA digital channels from your local TV stations.

My suggestion is to escalate this both with DIRECTV and the installation company (they are most likely two companies since DIRECTV almost always outsources the installation.) The installer really did not know what he was doing, that is clear. You should be able to get a supervisor or manager to get an earlier re-install.

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:12 AM

Doesn't this belong in a D* forum?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   flyingv

flyingv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

Doesn't this belong in a D* forum?

What exactly is a D* forum? Where do I go to on this site to post to it? I have a pretty good idea what the D stands for if you are refering to Directv. D....d lousy service!

#6 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

Moved.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#7 OFFLINE   flyingv

flyingv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

Welcome to the forums, flyingv! :welcome_s

I have major doubts about this, but I have to check first. Mounted to the back of the dish or somewhere on the pole is there a grey box that takes 4 lines from the dish and feeds that to your line to the house? And then a power supply on the line inside the house? That would be a Single Wire Multiplexer (SWM) and I really doubt you have one...

If you do, you don't need the BBCs nor the splitter.

Anyway, to answer your direct question, normally you need 2 lines from the dish to the BBCs which are plugged into the inputs on the back of the HR20. You can also have a line from a standard antenna (indoor or outdoor) to supply OTA digital channels from your local TV stations.

My suggestion is to escalate this both with DIRECTV and the installation company (they are most likely two companies since DIRECTV almost always outsources the installation.) The installer really did not know what he was doing, that is clear. You should be able to get a supervisor or manager to get an earlier re-install.

Good luck,
Tom

I have no box of any kind, just one wire coming from the dish to the HR20 receiver. In order to get the receiver to work at all I have to disconnect the cable going to Satellite input 1

#8 OFFLINE   saryon

saryon

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

If all you have is one wire from the dish going directly through to the back of the HR20 it is improperly installed and you need to have the installation company come back out and properly rig it. For an HR20 dual-tuner DVR to properly work you need two lines, either from the dish directly into the box, or they need 4 lines coming out of the dish to a multiswitch, then two lines from the multiswitch to the back of the HR20. In the unlikely event that you lucked out and got a SWM, they'd still need 4 lines from the dish to the multiswitch, then one from the switch to the receiver's SWM labled port.

If you have good signal in menu/help and settings/setup/sat and ant/view signal strength on sat 101 tuners 1 and 2, it should work. If you only have one tuner with signal, then it's improperly installed.

To get it to work temporarily, perhaps you can try going back through the sattelite setup and see if it'll automatically disable the second tuner with no signal to it.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

I have no box of any kind, just one wire coming from the dish to the HR20 receiver. In order to get the receiver to work at all I have to disconnect the cable going to Satellite input 1

Until DIRECTV can get a tech out to do the job right, you can make the HR20 correctly operational via a single tuner. If it were me, I would do the following:
  • Gently unplug the unit
    • From the remote: Menu
    • Help & Settings
    • Setup
    • Reset
    • Restart Recorder
    • And after the screen goes blank, unplug the power cord
  • Disconnect the splitter and extra cables
  • Connect the single line from the dish directly to one BBC
  • Connect the BBC to satellite input 1
  • Plug the HR20 back in

This is the correct configuration for a single tuner mode and should give you the least amount of problems.

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   flyingv

flyingv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

If all you have is one wire from the dish going directly through to the back of the HR20 it is improperly installed and you need to have the installation company come back out and properly rig it. For an HR20 dual-tuner DVR to properly work you need two lines, either from the dish directly into the box, or they need 4 lines coming out of the dish to a multiswitch, then two lines from the multiswitch to the back of the HR20. In the unlikely event that you lucked out and got a SWM, they'd still need 4 lines from the dish to the multiswitch, then one from the switch to the receiver's SWM labled port.

If you have good signal in menu/help and settings/setup/sat and ant/view signal strength on sat 101 tuners 1 and 2, it should work. If you only have one tuner with signal, then it's improperly installed.

To get it to work temporarily, perhaps you can try going back through the sattelite setup and see if it'll automatically disable the second tuner with no signal to it.

I just looked on the back of my receiver. It is a Model HR20-100S. The top Satellite input says Satellite In 2, the bottom input says Satellite In 1 (SWM)

#11 OFFLINE   saryon

saryon

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

OK, just looked at your original post again - it's definitely hooked up way wrong. The one line from the dish should go into the BBC then into Satellite 1 In. The splitter and second B-band converter should be disconnected and like Tom says, restart the recorder. Then call DirecTV or the installer company directly and have them send someone back out to properly wire it. One wire to a splitter to both ports on the back of the HR20 is improperly installed and will not work. Even with a SWM when they're publically available, there won't be a splitter or B-Band converter installed, it's just one wire to the Sat 1/SWM port from the SWM, no B-Band etc. Once you have one tuner working, call DTV immediately and get a new appointment for someone to come back out and run the second line from the dish like they should have in the first place.

#12 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

Until DIRECTV can get a tech out to do the job right, you can make the HR20 correctly operational via a single tuner. If it were me, I would do the following:

• Gently unplug the unit
    • From the remote: Menu
    • Help & Settings
    • Setup
    • Reset
    • Restart Recorder
    • And after the screen goes blank, unplug the power cord
  • Disconnect the splitter and extra cables
  • Connect the single line from the dish directly to one BBC
  • Connect the BBC to satellite input 1
  • Plug the HR20 back in

This is the correct configuration for a single tuner mode and should give you the least amount of problems.

Good luck,
Tom

Do what Tom says above until they can run a separate line for you. His excellent suggestion will get you up and running, although only on one tuner (can only record one thing at a time, and you'd have to watch the same show you are recording, but you can watch a previously recorded show while recording a new show). That is how the one in my bedroom is set up, because a second cable run would have been very rudimentary in appearance (draped along side the house, to an upper story), or very costly.
Trigger

spam firewall