Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to convert from E* to D*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:29 AM

So, I think I've finally had it with E* not getting on board with the YES Network in the NY DMA.

I am soliciting advice for how to best get a new D* installation with 2 Tivos (40hr minimum) and one regular receiver with a TC Premier plus locals and warranty package.

Does D* also charge $5 per additional receiver?

Where should I go in the NY Westchester area? Major retailer? Small guy? Where will I get the best deal?

Can I use my Dish Network dishes or do I have to get a D* dish instead?

Any suggestions on selling 2 501s and a 4900 w/smart cards? Just eBay?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 02:03 PM

Originally posted by cnsf

Any suggestions on selling 2 501s and a 4900 w/smart cards?

How much do you want for a 501?

#3 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 02:05 PM

When I first came over, I bought my two standard receivers and dish from a electronics store here in town. I then bought my UTV units and multi-switches from an online dealer.

What you could do is go to Best Buy or Circuit City, get the new subscriber deal for a single receiver and then turn around and buy your two Directv DVR's and multi-switch from an online dealer. www.orbitsat.com has the Directv DVR (Series II Directivo) units for $239 each for new or existing subscribers. A 2X6 multi-switch (2 lines in from the lnb and five out to the receivers) is about $50.00 and can be found at www.minidishes.tv

You may be able to get just as good a deal just from Best Buy for all your equipment and skip the hassle of multiple vendors.

You'll be able to use your old dish as long as it has a dual-lnb.

You could try selling your E* equipment here on this forum or on EBay.

Hope that helps.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#4 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 03:44 PM

KArl,

Thanks for the help. I have two dual LNB Dishes on the roof pointing at 61.5 and 110/119.

BestBuy was a $10 difference on the TivoSeries2, so your comment on sticking with one is a good idea.

Do you know if you need two home runs to the Tivos or can I use a splitter somewhere for the dual tuner?

Thanks again for the help.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

#5 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Kenster

How much do you want for a 501?

Let me convert first, but I'll be looking to sell each one for the going eBay price for one with a card and a clean account.

#6 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:27 PM

KArl,

Thanks for the help. I have two dual LNB Dishes on the roof pointing at 61.5 and 110/119.

BestBuy was a $10 difference on the TivoSeries2, so your comment on sticking with one is a good idea.

Do you know if you need two home runs to the Tivos or can I use a splitter somewhere for the dual tuner?

Thanks again for the help.

You cannot use a splitter anywhere from the dish to the receiver. Once the signal comes out of the receiver, then you can use a splitter to go out to multiple tv's. So the short answer is you have to have two separate cables runs from the multi-switch to each Directivo.

You will need only a single dish with a dual-lnb, so the second dish can come down.

I also didn't answer another question you had. Directv does charge $4.99 for each additional receiver.

If you have TC Premier, then you won't have a separate PVR fee, just the $4.99 mirroring charge. If you have any other package, you'll be charged a $4.95 Directivo fee which covers all Directivos on the account.

Make sure you get a multi-switch that has enough outputs for your system. You need at least a 2X6 for what you described, and if you have the funds, I'd go for a 2X8 for future expansion. If you have a long cable run, you might want to consider a powered multi-switch. I originally bought a Sony 3X4 and had to replace it when I bought my second UTV. The one I bought and use now is a Spaun 2X6.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#7 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:07 PM

What is the going price of a used 501 and a used 508 on ebay?

#8 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Jacob S
What is the going price of a used 501 and a used 508 on ebay?

Looks to be around $175-$250 w/card and remote (for the 501)

#9 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:26 AM

Karl,

Great info, thanks.

So, here's what I see for me:

2 DirecTivo Series2s : $249/each=$500
1 Dish/receiver package with installation: $0-$100 (should I go for the 18X20 dish?)
1 2X6 Splitter (don't plan on staying in the house forever - could impact the Dish decision)=$50

Initial setup cost = $650

Monthly Charges:

TC Premier w/locals=$85.99
DirecTV Protection Plan =$5.99
2 add'l receivers (3 total)=$9.98

So, I should be looking at a monthly charge of $101.96 vs. my E* equivalent of $97.98. $50 annual difference.

Just to get YES....what a pain.

So, if I sell my 501s for $175-250 I subsidize a minimum of $350 up to $500. Also need to sell a 4900 ($75-$100), an SW64 ($75?), and 2 Dish 500s ($25 each?). That could help me break even. Packaging would just be a PITA.

Sound about right?

#10 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:50 PM

So, I should be looking at a monthly charge of $101.96 vs. my E* equivalent of $97.98. $50 annual difference.

Just to get YES....what a pain.

$1 extra a week to get YES,
more PPV movie choices,
all your locals from a single 18" dish
- AND -
dual-tuning, twin-buffering, time-shifting, commercial-skipping, automatic-show-finding DirecTiVo goodness

Sounds like a bargain to me :D
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#11 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 10:51 AM

Already have the PVR "goodness" with Dish PVRs. What we don't have are the nicer and smarter Tivo interfaces....and the YES Network for a buck.

Wonder why Dish couldn't work it out to also charge the NY DMA subs for this.....even at $2, it's worth it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...