Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New sky angel press release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Again this mentions IPTV yet still no letter to its subscribers :( How many of us read the Naples paper? I do plan on contacting Answers in Genesis as well as Charisma magazine as they had pushed sky angel lifetime subs at one time. thought they should know the current situation, maybe they will do another article?

Sky Angel Airing Series of Answers in Genesis Specials

Contact: Nancy Christopher, Vice President, Corporate Communications Sky Angel/Dominion Video Satellite Inc., 239-403-9130 Ex. 213, Nancy.christopher@skyangel.com

NAPLES, Florida, Aug. 28 /Christian Newswire/ -- Sky Angel, a Christian-owned multi-channel provider of faith-based and family-friendly TV and radio, has begun airing a series of Answers in Genesis programs on the company's owned and operated special events channel, Angel Two.

Answers in Genesis, builder of the Creation Science Museum located near Cincinnati, Ohio, is a Christ-centered ministry dedicated to upholding the authority of the Bible from the very first verse. Upcoming programs scheduled to air on Angel Two/Sky Angel Channel 9702 include "Creation Astronomy," "Origin of the Species," "The Relevance of Genesis," "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made," and "The Intelligent Design Movement: How Intelligent Is It?"

"We are excited to work with Sky Angel to air several of our most popular videos. This is just another blessing the Lord has given us to support the Church in fulfilling its commission," said Dale Mason, vice president of marketing and media for Answers in Genesis.

"Our relationship with Sky Angel helps us fulfill our mission to proclaim the absolute truth and the authority of the Bible with boldness, 'relating the relevance of a literal Genesis to the Church and the world today, while obeying God's call to deliver the message of the Gospel,' individually and collectively. We urge everyone to watch the programs and prepare to be challenged and encouraged!" added Mason. For more information about Answers in Genesis, visit www.AnswersInGenesis.org.

Sky Angel recently announced plans to offer its service in the United States using a broadband Internet protocol, commonly known as IPTV. IPTV combines traditional television with broadband Internet services and allows programs and channels to be viewed on conventional TVs, personal computers, and handheld instruments. A wider variety of channels and more programming package choices are features afforded by IPTV. In addition, IPTV provides viewers value-added services and conveniences such as the ability to set up their own equipment, to retrieve programs that have already aired, and to utilize Video on Demand.

Sky Angel currently delivers over 30 television and radio channels to customers across the United States using direct broadcast satellite and reaches consumers in homes, churches, prisons, shelters, hospitals, and nursing homes. Programming includes family movies; classic sitcoms; Christian shows for kids and teens; biblical teaching and inspirational programs; home life, health and talk shows; documentaries and educational programs; special events, conferences and concerts; Christian music videos; and more.

About Sky Angel:

Sky Angel® is a Christian-owned multi-channel provider of faith-based and family-friendly TV and radio programming, delivering the widest variety of Christian-based channels to the TV, plus news and family channels. Sky Angel was founded by Robert Johnson Sr. more than 25 years ago to provide a Christ-centered and family-friendly alternative to the standard television fare. Since then, it has grown into a service providing quality television and radio programming to all corners of the contiguous United States. More about Sky Angel is available by visiting www.skyangel.com.
SERVICES | RELEASES | SEND RELEASES |

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bijou Media

Bijou Media

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

I don't understand the IPTV deal.

1. lots of folks don't have broad band, and some don't want it.

2. some have satellite internet with FAP, plus it's a bandwidth hog

3. some of the older folks don't understand the technology

There's more, but they are shooting themselves in the foot IMO.
why not offer the customer a choice of which one they want via satellite, or IPTV.

I'm keeping my eye on this situation.

#3 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

Basically they don't have the money to build and launch their own satellite. Their agreement with Dish to broadcast their channels is for the life of Dish's satellite. The satellite is dying. IPTV is Sky Angels only option to continue operating.

#4 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

it is my understanding that it boils down to $. Sky angel is selling out their DBS customers to make $. if I had to guess I would say they are hoping that the recently added canadian IPTV customers (there was no DBS in canada) will offset the US customers who will leave when they switch to IPTV.

they say the satellite is failing but its not dead yet. I agree they should offer both DBS and IPTV options. the founders original intent was to use Satellite to bring christian Tv to those in remote areas who would not otherwise receive the Word! Since high speed internet is NOT available in most rural areas of the US it seems that is no longer the focus :(

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,274 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:02 PM

SkyAngel will likely not make one penny on the transfer of the licenses to E*.
Think of it as getting out of debt. They have been borrowing the satellite for years.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:09 PM

I dont know about that,
they fought long and hard for those dbs licences, and if the orignal founder was still alive they wouldnt be going IPTV,
its all about money,
and thats the bottom line.

#7 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:06 AM

I see this happen with all sorts of businesses. Once the original visionary dies, the company loses its way and either fails miserably at becoming a money-grubbing, heartless, megacorp with no regard for the original mission or reason for being and goes out of business; or succeeds in becomeing a money-grubbing, heartless, megacorp with no regard for the original mission or reason for being and is forever hated by the original customer base.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#8 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

I might expect this from a more publicly operated company but its his own children who are changing Sky Angel. His son and daughter are destroying his very vision of bringing Christian Tv to areas that can't otherwise receive it!

I truly believe that Johnson Sr would have seen the company go under before he would have parted with the licenses .

#9 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:24 AM

Johnson Sr fought long and hard for those licenses, and the vision of sky angel was to launch there own dbs sat.
but know he is in heaven looking down at everything thats going on,
Hey what happened to Pelle and his wife?

#10 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:17 AM

Video on the Net Conference, March 19-22, 2007 San Jose, CA
Video: Neulion Feature Presentation from the floor of Video on the Net
Chris Wagner, Founder and CEO of Neulion, gives a special presentation about Neulion's successful IPTV service.

http://www.tvmainstr....=wmhigh&clip=2

I watched the link above, so should you CAREFULLY
A few interesting points #1 being that the WHOLESALE cost of box is $125!

you need 1 box per TV, I think most of us knew that

need highspeed internet, we should all know that by now

You can purchase other programming using same box

A few not so nice facts:

NEULION tracks and reports YOUR VIEWING (to skyangel and.....)what you watch and how often ! just what we need another invasion of our privacy. Opens a whole door to big brother, doesn't it!

there was some discussion a while back as to IF skyangel could monitor who was watching, what and when. Well that question was answered by NEULION and it will now be YES, definitely. the next question will be just what do they do with our information? is it private, will it be (in all probability) SOLD to marketing companies?

neulion handles billing, turn on and off service. what happens to skyangel customer service?

need minimum of 5000 subscribers

no dvr , everything kept on server, kept and indexed

#11 OFFLINE   He Save Dave

He Save Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

I'd like to have Sky Angel.
:stickman:
I need DTV

#12 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

so would the lifetime members who paid for a lifetime of skyangel

#13 OFFLINE   He Save Dave

He Save Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

so would the lifetime members who paid for a lifetime of skyangel

I'm sure they would.
:stickman:
I need DTV

#14 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

I love the AIG specials. I will miss them when SkyAngel is gone.

#15 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

Contact AIG and let them know how you feel AND what service you will be switching to eg GLORYSTAR, DISH family etc

#16 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Contact AIG and let them know how you feel AND what service you will be switching to eg GLORYSTAR, DISH family etc

Done!

I sent the following to AIG via their feedback page:

Our family has greatly enjoyed the AIG specials on Sky Angel. Now that Sky Angel is no longer going to be broadcasting via satellite, where can we enjoy your shows other than online? We do not have the bandwidth to switch to Sky Angel's IPTV, but would love to see AIG specials on one of the Dish Network channels if at all possible. Thank you.

#17 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

Sky Angel has now removed the $14.99 for DBS ad from their home page. And on the options on the left, "Order now" says only "Order now - Canada."

spam firewall