Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
Disconnecting internal drive
Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:46 AM
Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:06 AM
DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI
HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"
Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:51 AM
There have been several discussions concerning this issue. I would recommend you search on "internal drive" in this forum. You'll find a lot of information about this topic.
Yes, I have read those. That's what led me to the FA750.
But I don't think anyone actually tried disconnecting the drive yet?
Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:37 AM
Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:47 PM
There was a post yesterday that said NOT to disconnect the internal drive because it houses the temperature sensor.With it removed or disconnected,and used with an external drive,the internal temp of the box would not be regulated.At least that's the way I understood the post.
You can just plus the esata jack into the sata port on the motherboard if you want a temp reading but it will be of your external hd.
If you're concerned about lowering temps, unplugging the HD is a great thing to do because leaving it on, even in idle, raises heat levels.
- 3 HR20s (2 modified to be silent)
- 2 H20s connected via S-Video to my HTPC (Vista Media Center)
- Anxiously awaiting D*'s tuner for Windows Vista (hope they don't screw it up like CableLabs did!)