Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dr Who taking 2009 off?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 923 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

How will that effect those of us in the USA? Aren't we a year behind already? If so, the BBC could be nice and not delay the show when it returns in 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.u...500/6976512.stm

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

We are actually only a few months behind here in the USA. The UK showing of Series 3 completed around April or May of this year (not sure exactly when mind you)... and we are now about half-way through Series 3 on SciFi in the US.

Series 4 is filming, and set to air in the UK in early 2008 (not counting this year's Christmas special)... and the US will probably get it in the sam general early-mid-summer timeframe.

So no big delay from the UK to US airings really... but skipping 2 years is an interesting choice. Seems like they could lose fanbase in that long of a hiatus. Not the diehards like myself mind you... but the casual viewer who was just discovering Who, will probably fade back into the woodwork again and have to be lured all over again after 2 years.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   LMUBill

LMUBill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

We are actually only a few months behind here in the USA. The UK showing of Series 3 completed around April or May of this year (not sure exactly when mind you)... and we are now about half-way through Series 3 on SciFi in the US.

The last episode of season 2 was shown on June 30th, to be exact.

#4 OFFLINE   BWELL316

BWELL316

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

They aren't so much taking the year off as they are lightening the workload. I think this will be a way for them to keep Tennant for an extra year, and possibly move the series to HD formatting (a la Torchwood) either for the specials in 2009 or the full season in 2010. It is supposed to be three or four extra long specials in 09, I am ok with that, especially if they have, say one per quarter or something like that? If they send the four specials to Sci-Fi and BBC America, I don't think interest will wane(sp?) that much, especially if they are done well. If they are done as 90 minute specials, SF and BBCA could split them all in half, giving them a short 6 or 8 episode "season".
LR- Mitsubishi 60' WD60C9 w/PS3
MBR- Dynex 32'
KBR- Vizio 37' LCD w. Wii and PS2

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

The more I have read sounds like this is just a restructuring of the season as a way to work around David Tennant's other obligations so he can do some outside Dr Who work and they still keep him with the series.

I gather there will still be a Christmas 2008 episode, then the 3-4 specials. If those are 90 minute specials, then it could be the equivalent of as many as 8 episodes normal length... which is just a little over half of a season (13 episodes) for them... so that's not so bad if we get to see them here in the US in a semi-timely fashion.

At first glance I thought they were taking the whole time off with nothing in between... but this isn't as bad.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall