Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC HD

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   nollchr

nollchr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:48 AM

In CT:

Definitely a DTV problem and not the local affiliate during the football game. I called a friend who has cable and receives the same NBC as I do and his picture was crystal clear. D's was totally pixelated and blocky. The SD channel looked like the normal SD channel. The HD signal cleared around half-time.

The thing i found odd was all the commercials looked fine!!!! As soon as the game came back, the picture fell apart...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Jon D

Jon D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:31 AM

That's not D*'s fault...sports on NBC looks terrible because they waste bandwidth on their subchannel, WeatherPlus+.

Yeah. Fox definitely has the best looking sports here. I think CBS also wastes too much bandwidth on sub channels.

#43 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:31 AM

NBC from NY DNS looked good on the national MPEG2 feed.

In fact, the freezing and audio glitches that plague that channel are mostly fixed. I noticed only a couple of audio dropouts and no picture freezes at all during the first half (I fell asleep at halftime.)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#44 OFFLINE   Jon D

Jon D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

Yeah. Fox definitely has the best looking sports here. I think CBS also wastes too much bandwidth on sub channels.

I take back my last.. Must have to do with uplinking and encoding. Since Fox came online way after CBS and NBC, perhaps they have the newer equipment and WVIT and WFSB have the older stuff. Phone calls to the local stations might yield some answers.

#45 OFFLINE   Rockywwf

Rockywwf

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:15 AM

Anyone else not seeing full HD on NBC for the NFL game?? Come on, first game of the season and once again NBC cannot get it right.

I saw full HD but on my local affiliate the picture was horrible to say the least. Luckily I also have the NY affiliate and that HD pic was crystal clear!

------------------------------------
Directv since 2003
Sirius since 2005
Two HR24 and one H24
Pioneer KURO 5020/Sony KDE-37XS955 Plasma/Dell 23" LCD HDTVs
New XBOX 360 "slim"
Playstation3
Nintendo Wii

#46 OFFLINE   shotdisc98

shotdisc98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

Also disappointed with NBC football, KCRA 3 here in Nor Cal. The OTA through my HR-20 looked a little bit better than the Mpeg4, but, still have macroblocking during fast moving shots such as following players after a play or leaving the field. I know live HD is hardest to produce for now, but I hope it gets better! I can't remember but will Mpeg4 bitrate increase when D10 goes live since it may relieve some bitrate pressure from the existing sats carrying HD? I know picture quality is dependent on network, conditions, DirecTV bandwidth; I just hope that anything sent over D10 looks much better than NBC football last night.
I love the smell of HD in the morning!
Samsung HL-S5688w 1920x1080, 1080p
HR20-700 with national release by HDMI, native on, 2 coax runs, Slimline dish
Networked to D-Link T-Mobile HotSpot@Home Router by ethernet cable, DHCP, Tversity for media sharing

#47 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:30 AM

KCBS-DT Los Angeles has no subchannels and is absolutely the best OTA in the market, KTTV-DT Fox is a close second.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#48 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

Also disappointed with NBC football, KCRA 3 here in Nor Cal. The OTA through my HR-20 looked a little bit better than the Mpeg4, but, still have macroblocking during fast moving shots such as following players after a play or leaving the field...I just hope that anything sent over D10 looks much better than NBC football last night.

+1

#49 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

NBC from NY DNS looked good on the national MPEG2 feed.

In fact, the freezing and audio glitches that plague that channel are mostly fixed. I noticed only a couple of audio dropouts and no picture freezes at all during the first half (I fell asleep at halftime.)

not just a sports issue terrible for the today show as well, looks like its something to do with NBC and I am sure the cable folks will say the picture is clear since with cable they have always been used to seeing it "fuzzy":lol:

#50 OFFLINE   Ronder

Ronder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

May NBC should use Posted Image on the lenses:grin:
Mitsubishi 65733

Direct TV- Slimline. HR20-700, Choice xtra plus
Harman Kardon Reciever
Energy Speakers
Harmony 880 Remote

#51 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

Receiving NBCHD from Los Angeles through Dish on VIP622 (no OTA available here) and it looked great here! No problem with pixellation and it was in full HD throughout the broadcast.

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...