Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Denver local channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Babalax

Babalax

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:06 AM

The strangest thing happened last night. I wondered if anyone else experienced this? (I swear, we weren't even drinking.) :confused:

Between 9:40-10:00 Saturday night we were watching our local NBC affiliate then decided to surf around before the local news. We were watching an HD movie channel when suddenly a message popped up saying "searching for guide info". When we tried to change the channel back to 9 it was not there. All of the Denver local channels had disappeared.
I called DirecTV customer service while my husband tried to figure out what the heck was going on.
After about 10 minutes or so all of the local channels were back. (I was still on hold.) We checked our custom channels list and reset them. Ever since the new software update we have had the problem of our local channels disappearing from our custom channels list (coincidence?).
We then checked our ToDo list and saw that nothing was set to record next week. A week of upcoming series recordings had disappeared. I went back into the guide and manually set them back up to record.
This morning everything seems fine. So far...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonymello

tonymello

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:22 PM

I've been having the same issue here in Denver for about a week or two myself. It's happened about a half dozen times. "Acquiring guide data" will appear on the screen. Taking a quick look at the guide reveals no channels below 70 appear. If watching a local channel at the time the video freezes (all menu functions still work, though); if watching a non-local, we just see the message with no video interuption.

I've not noticed any ToDo items dropping off, however. Just the brief loss of local channels.

Oh, and choosing "more info" from the message informs us to reboot the machine, using the red button and not the menus, which I know from reading this forum we're not supposed to do as a first resort...too bad the HR-20's software doesn't know this.

#3 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

I've had that happen to me about four times since the last NR software. The only way that I've found to fix it is to add them back into your favorites list.

#4 OFFLINE   jmeek1

jmeek1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

This happens to me, as well - about once a day (after the daily call to D-TV?). This is annoying - anyone have any suggested fixes?

#5 OFFLINE   IMBoguss

IMBoguss

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

Happens to me every day also.

Called CS, and they claim they have never heard of the problem!

#6 OFFLINE   IMBoguss

IMBoguss

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:58 PM

Update:

After it happened for the second time in less than an hour, I called CS again, and they are sending me a new receiver.

#7 OFFLINE   Babalax

Babalax

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

Thanks to all of you for confirming that I have not completely lost my mind!
I am wondering if this must be a D* issue and not necessarily the HR20.

Everything was fine this morning - no missing channels, guide okay.
But when I turned the TV on to watch the evening news, the channel was on 201 - the DirecTV Basics "infomercial".
This has happened a few times in the past 2 weeks. Again, local channels are missing from the guide but at least they did not disappear completely.
Sounds like calling D* won't resolve anything.
Do you think it could be because of the new satellite and upcoming HD channels? Are they just messing with us?

(And if this post doesn't belong here please let me know where to move it - thx)

#8 OFFLINE   leeberwhite

leeberwhite

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

Sorry to hear others are affected, but I'm glad I am not alone in this.

It's funny, my first thought was it might have something to do with the new satellite too! Anyway, I would doubt it's a receiver problem if it's localized to Denver. Is anyone outside the area having similar problems?

I noticed the "Acquiring guide data" message only one time, but it does seem like receiver's response slows down immediately before the channels disappear. That is to say channel changes are slow and the guide itself seemed to be sluggish right before the locals evaporate.

#9 OFFLINE   c152driver

c152driver

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:09 AM

I am having the same problem. It started about the time I received the 18a software. The problem still exists in 19a.

I don't know if this is a HR20 software problem or if it has something to do with guide data that DirecTV is sending down.

It's starting to get a little frustrating...

#10 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

I also think it's a 18a issue. I'm going to post a link to this thread in the Issues thread so it will be better known.

#11 OFFLINE   jmeek1

jmeek1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

I got this today "Acquiring Guide Info" while I was watching NFL Sunday ticket... the screen was black during the update (nice) and after the 2 minutes or so it took, I checked my guide and all of my locals were gone.

Update - this happened to me twice today. Both times, I called DTV and they're sending someone out this week to look at my receiver. I'm anticipating a "Yep... it's not working right."

#12 OFFLINE   IMBoguss

IMBoguss

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

Well, it's only been one day with the new receiver, but haven't lost locals again.

Could just be a coincidence, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.......:lol:

#13 OFFLINE   jmeek1

jmeek1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

I have a D* technician coming out tomorrow. I'll post his findings.

#14 OFFLINE   IMBoguss

IMBoguss

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

Grrrrrrrr

The new receiver didn't help.
Still seeing "Acquiring guide data" and then losing locals.

This is getting old!

#15 OFFLINE   kgearhardt

kgearhardt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:30 AM

Grrrrrrrr

The new receiver didn't help.
Still seeing "Acquiring guide data" and then losing locals.

This is getting old!

I've been having the same issue with locals here in Fort Collins (yeah I know they're Denver :) ) and another guy I know up here has as well. It seemed like there were about 3 days last week when it didn't happen, but otherwise it's happened nearly every day since the 0x18a release. With the new TV season starting last night I was thinking this would get REALLY irritating since my wife and I record shows to watch later, and how would I know if they're even getting recorded. I checked this morning and sure enough the local channels were gone from my 'Custom 1' favorites listing so I added them back as always. I checked my 'To Do' list and most of the major network recordings were gone from the list. Over the period of 2 hours most of them were back but not all of them. So if the jokers at D* time this just right we're going to miss recording shows.

I hope D* gets this crap fixed soon!!! In the mean time I think I'll setup an older Tivo box to record the shows as a backup.

#16 OFFLINE   c152driver

c152driver

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:32 AM

I'm running the latest CE release for the HR20-700 (19E) and the problem still exists.

DirecTV, please fix!

#17 OFFLINE   kgearhardt

kgearhardt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

And for whatever it's worth I definitely think this is connected to D* and bringing up the new HD channels. As I mentioned regarding the 3 days of stability last week, so to speak, the day I noticed things going bad again was Saturday morning following D*'s test channels (9300, 9301, 498, etc) coming online. So it sure seems like there's a connection.

#18 OFFLINE   csdan

csdan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:50 AM

This keeps happening to me too...Tech support informed me it was probably a software issue, but it seeming to be only localized in denver I doubt this. Fortunately I still have an HR 10 to back up recordings as the new TV season starts until they get this fixed.

#19 OFFLINE   SnowManson

SnowManson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Add one more to the Denver area that is affected by this. I've had this happen multiple times in the past and after it happened again this morning I decided to search the forums.

It is very odd this is affecting only the Denver metro area.

#20 OFFLINE   jake446

jake446

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:13 PM

The same thing is happening on my receiver (HR20-100 with 0x18a). I am in Wyoming and also recieve Denver locals. What is the deal? I have to go my custom channels list about every 2nd or 3rd day and reenter the locals. Of course, they never disappear from the all channels list or channels I get list, only my custom list.

spam firewall