Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV to Launch 50 Additional Local Markets

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:23 AM

DirecTV said that it will launch local broadcast channel services in up to 50 additional markets by the end of this year; ten of these new markets will be served by the end of June.

DirecTV currently offers local broadcast channels in 51 markets. With the successful launch of the DirecTV 7S spot beam satellite in the fourth quarter, and using advanced digital compression technology, DirecTV will provide local broadcast channel service in approximately 100 markets by year-end, representing roughly 84 percent of U.S. television households.

The first 10 of these new markets will launch throughout the first half of this year, beginning with Richmond, Va., on Jan. 16. The next nine markets are Colorado Springs, Colo.; Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; Roanoke, Va.; Green Bay, Wis.; Tucson, Ariz.; Shreveport, La.; Jackson, Miss.; Louisville, Ky. and Des Moines, Iowa.

Additional market launches will be announced later this spring.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 11:28 AM

Interesting that in the merger filings DirecTV mentioned that without a merger they would do up to 100 LIL markets, looks like they are continuing with the plan. Dish said they would do 80, I wonder if they are going to try to squeeze another 20 markets in too?

#3 OFFLINE   AJ2086

AJ2086

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 11:59 AM

WTF? Where are they getting the space for 50 markets?
AJ

XM Customer Since: 12/28/02
D* Customer Since: 2/6/03
Tivo User Since: 11/12/03

#4 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 12:11 PM

Directv7s will launch to 119 in the 4th quarter. It's a spot beam satellite.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#5 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 12:42 PM

4th qtr 2002 or 3? or is it a fiscal 4th qtr?
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#6 OFFLINE   Eyedox

Eyedox

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 01:40 PM

Go Des Moines! Thank God for Spot Beam technology and DirecTV 7S. Now DISH has a reason to get WOI (ABC) on board in the Des Moines market, since DirecTV will have (hopefully) all of them too.

#7 Guest_Bret_*

Guest_Bret_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2003 - 03:33 PM

Salisbury MD would be a small market that could be squeezed in in order to reach the 50 new local market count.

Its currently adjacent to other markets DirecTV has plans in or is already doing local into local in: Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Richmond, Norfolk, Roanoke

Plus DirecTV could claim full DE LIL carriage with Sussex County.

It'd be nice if significantly viewed was allowed. People in Kent County (which is Philly DMA) get news from the Salisbury MD stations as Salisbury MD have cable carriage there and do Sussex and Kent news. The Philly stations will only cover DE if its BIG news happening but Salisbury stations have more focus on DE considering over half their market is from DE. I get Salisbury TV stations only with good atmospheric conditions in summer. The only problem is the station groups are locally owned companies that dont have agreements with DirecTV already.

#8 Guest_Keith4USC_*

Guest_Keith4USC_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:26 PM

So I will need another dish if they add my locals????? Well dang.... Them Pine Trees are pretty huge in the south....... LOL

#9 Guest_Keith4USC_*

Guest_Keith4USC_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Curtis0620
Directv7s will launch to 119 in the 4th quarter. It's a spot beam satellite.

I thought Dish Network was at 119 spot..... I just stay confused with all these satellite locations..... I did have the Dish network and it was on 119 and 110.... Or maybe I thought it was.....

#10 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 06:23 PM

Dish is on 119 and 110. Direct is on 119, 110, and 101. Dish has most of 110 (29/32), Direct has all of 101. Dish has 21 on 119 and Direct has 11.

#11 Guest_Greg Bimson_*

Guest_Greg Bimson_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2003 - 09:04 AM

4th qtr 2002 or 3? or is it a fiscal 4th qtr?

cnsf, it is fourth quarter, 2003, actual, not fiscal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...