Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lplace

lplace

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:01 PM

I am considering a purchase of a DirecTV system. Is there any
difference between the various brands of receivers? Do any of them
have a faster guide? What about quality differences? Any other info
appreciated.

Logan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   platinum

platinum

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:13 PM

I would go with the Directivo receiver, I recommend the HDVR2
D* Since 95

#3 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 03:23 PM

I would go to a place like Best Buy and check out as many as you can to see which interface you like best.

I'd recommend a PVR, but if you aren't interested, there are differences between the standard receivers of RCA, Samsung, Hughes, etc. You need to determine what your requirements are. Do you want component video? Do you want Dolby Digital output? Make sure your receiver has everything you want when you first get it. They are much more expensive once you are a subscriber.

I have had good luck with RCA, but others prefer Hughes.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#4 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 03:33 PM

Most receivers are made by Hughes anymore. I've seen some great looking Samsung receivers and have heard great things about them. I'd just try out the remotes and see which ones you like. I personally don't care for RCA remotes, but that is just personal preference.

#5 OFFLINE   David W

David W

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 11:54 AM

I love the RCA remotes (especially my UHF ones). I can't stand the Hughes remotes as they seem to be missing many of the buttons I need and don't allow me to control as many devices.

#6 OFFLINE   beegfoot

beegfoot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:48 PM

If you can afford the tivo, do it! I have 2 hughes tivos and a hughes GAEB0 and have had no problems.

I like the hughes standard remote because of simplicity, especially for older customers. And the extended warranty on the G series is a plus.

I priced a new hughes DVR at circuit city today at 249. Your local dealer may not want to sell it that low unless you're a new customer.

Good luck .

#7 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 15 January 2003 - 06:22 PM

Go for a DirecTivo. You won't be sorry!
If a PVR isn't your cup of tea, then Hughes recv GAEBOA (Make sure it has an 'A" on the end. 'A' means advanced program guide which translates into three days worth of guide data and a picture in guide that stays on the channel you are watching while you check out other shows. The GAEBO is a nice recv too, but only carries about 2-4 hours of guide data and won't keep the picture in guide when you check out future shows.
HarryD

#8 OFFLINE   LarryS

LarryS

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 11:41 PM

Although I've gone with two HDVR2s for a while I tinkered with getting one along with a basic receiver. As far as I know only the higher model basic receiver had event timers for VCR recording. If you decide on a non-PVR then having the receiver controlling your VCR made recording much simpler. In the Hughes line I think it was the executive director.
Panasonic plasma 42px60u
Sony STR-DE925
HR-34-700
WET610N Wireless n connected to switch to DECA
AT-9 slimline dish w/SWM lnb
Harmony 880
HR-24-500 HDMI
Panasonic LCD TCL32C22
MRV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...