Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Huge audio volume difference btw SD and HD channels

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kktk

kktk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:53 PM

However, if you're routing audio to your pre/pro or receiver for a 5.1 home theater setup, you're pretty much stuck with it. It existed in my rig when my H/K AVR 330 was the primary amplification for my system and (as expected) continued once I switched it to a pre/pro capacity and added my Emotiva amp. It's one of those things that IS very annoying but just is. I'm not aware of any AV recevier or pre/pro that does auto level adjustment like some TV's. If you really want to research it, go over to http://audioholics.com and do a search there.

I was wondering the same thing. The levels are different--and maybe there is no way around it...but can we set something in the dish receiver to output certain volume levels for certain channels?

Can we set this up on a A/V receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

Here is a bit of information to explain why 5.1 "seems" to be quiter then Stereo.
http://www.hometheat...ion-6-2000.html

Help may be on the way.
http://www.bigpictur...trol-1009.shtml

#23 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:21 PM

There is really nothing wrong. DD is more dynamic than PCM. Therefore it seems to be quieter.

I guess you could turn up the center channel on your receiver in DD and that would make it seem louder. But all your really doing there is throwing your surround sound out of balance.

#24 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:57 PM

.........Help may be on the way.

I just going to say gather up the Dolby engineers and put them in a closed room with no food or water until they fix the problem. Sounds like someone did that already though.:lol: Three cheers for "Dolby Volume Technology"!

I can't wait for that technology to be available in a Dish receiver. VIP822? <-- Don't get excited I made that up. :)

The commercials during "House" tonight scared the cats out of the living room they were so loud.
The light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming.

#25 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

Lets just say that the Fox network squashes the heck out of the dynamic range for commercials and puts them at the top of the volume limit. On the rare occasion I watch Fox I hit the mute button when the commercials come on and then skip forward past them usually overshooting and havint to skip back and don't unmute until the show starts again.

#26 OFFLINE   lamp525

lamp525

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

Here is a bit of information to explain why 5.1 "seems" to be quiter then Stereo.
http://www.hometheat...ion-6-2000.html

Help may be on the way.

did this ever get fixed with the 722..

#27 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

Did what fixed... My understanding is that this is the nature of the beast and there is nothing to be fixed here...
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#28 OFFLINE   lamp525

lamp525

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

Did what fixed... My understanding is that this is the nature of the beast and there is nothing to be fixed here...

above said help may be on the way..it is annoying..

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Agreed. Some of the inherent problems (different levels of audio) in the Dolby 5.1 (or greater) vs PCM-style encode seem to just be par for the course.

In some ways it would be like asking when they will fix the color and contrast level differences between HD channels and SD channels... HD has more detail for color and contrast in addition to the greater resolution, so it is entirely possible to calibrate your TV such that HD looks pristine but SD looks crappy... and not a whole lot can be done about that.

What I wish would be fixed, however, is the different audio levels on some channels using 5.1 encode. I find my CBS to be consistently louder OTA with 5.1 than any other satellite 5.1 channel. I'm fine adjusting to the difference between the 5.1 and the 2-channel PCM... but have a harder time adapting to the wide variety of audio levels on 5.1 channels that should, in my opinion, all be the same.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#30 OFFLINE   gintzj

gintzj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

This has been going on since I've had my VIP622, 18 months, and I never bothered to find an answer to this, but enough is enough.
The audio volume on the SD channels is about 3 or 4 times louder than the volume on the HD channels. I'm using a middle of the road TEAC surround sound receiver and TEAC speakers. The TEAC receiver doesn't have an HDMI input, so I'm using the optical audio connection between the VIP622 and TEAC for audio, and the HDMI connection for the video feed to my Sony 50" Grand Wega projection TV, TV speakers off. I have 2 dishes on my house, one for the SD feed and one for the HD feed.
Is there any way to adjust the volume on the VIP622/dishes so that the audio volume is the same from both dishes? When I happen to forget to turn the volume down on the TEAC receiver BEFORE switching from an HD channel to an SD channel it just about blows the windows out of the house, and I'm afraid I'm gonna blow a speaker up one of these days! I appreciate any help you can give me on this.
Thanks,
Snyde

HD should be pushing ditigal 5.1

#31 OFFLINE   insimbi

insimbi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

I get the same thing - loud SD audio and quieter HD audio.

#32 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Agreed. Some of the inherent problems (different levels of audio) in the Dolby 5.1 (or greater) vs PCM-style encode seem to just be par for the course.

In some ways it would be like asking when they will fix the color and contrast level differences between HD channels and SD channels... HD has more detail for color and contrast in addition to the greater resolution, so it is entirely possible to calibrate your TV such that HD looks pristine but SD looks crappy... and not a whole lot can be done about that.

What I wish would be fixed, however, is the different audio levels on some channels using 5.1 encode. I find my CBS to be consistently louder OTA with 5.1 than any other satellite 5.1 channel. I'm fine adjusting to the difference between the 5.1 and the 2-channel PCM... but have a harder time adapting to the wide variety of audio levels on 5.1 channels that should, in my opinion, all be the same.

Stations choose the levels that they record & playback at. The VIP des only what it is told by the source. It doesn't have a compressor/ limiter built in it. So the only way to change this is by a unit placed in line after the VIP.

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

Stations choose the levels that they record & playback at. The VIP des only what it is told by the source. It doesn't have a compressor/ limiter built in it. So the only way to change this is by a unit placed in line after the VIP.

Yeah, I know... I actually have a mode I can put my audio receiver in that compresses things to average out the sound... but I find the sacrifice in quality is not worth that.. so I leave it disabled.

It would be nice if there was some kind of volume level standard in the 5.1 encodes that would result in all sources being approximately the same volume for the same kind of content.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#34 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

To Be honest that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the extremely loud WCBS sound levels.

Since HDMe is complaing about his CBS station too I can only assume it is a CBS O/O station thing. Using the sound on my TV when all other channels are adjusted to a proper listening level, The WCBS will be blaring if I switch to it and forget to lower the volume beforehand. It seems to be a station thing as I notice i with the Cable connection to the TV sets tuner or via E*. The difference between the WCBS and other stations seems to me to be worse than SD to HD channels audio levels.

That is one reason I've started watching WNBC or WABC news instead of the WCBS news. The other reason is you can never be sure when their news will start on Sundays.

#35 OFFLINE   Kman68

Kman68

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

Your receiver may have a fix to adjust the volume level. My current receiver is a Denon and it has a software switch labeled "D.Comp." D.Comp is short hand for "Dynamic Range Compression." Within D.Comp there are four parameters: OFF, LOW, MID, and HI. The owners manual bills this feature as a way to watch movies late at night because it levels the "contrast between very soft sounds and very loud sounds." OFF is for normal playback with no compression. HIGH flattens the volume range.

Another feature the Denon sports is labeled "Dialogue Normalization." The parameter is displayed OFFSET and changed by +/- dB. This feature is used to raise quiet dialogue volume often featured in DolbyDigital soundtracks.

I have never played with these features so I can not tell you if they works. Just that your receiver probably has a similar features. Search your owners manual for "range compression." You could even locate a pdf manual online and use Adobe's search function.

Hope this helps those that are annoyed by the volume changes.

#36 OFFLINE   Susabella

Susabella

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Terry,

Try switching for DD/PCM to PCM only and see if that helps.

Snydley.... The SD/HD difference is most likley caused by PCM vs DD and there is not a lot one can do unless your receiver has some feature that allows you to make an adjustment in this area. If you want to confirm this... Switch to PCM only and see if you notice big audio differences.

Oh Lordy, thank you so much - I've been on the phone to DISH Tech Support 3 times, LG tech support once, and then found this solution, which worked for me - THANKS!!!
SB

#37 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk... Susabella! And you are welcome. Actually I believe someone else suggested this a while back and I just relayed the information. Got some really good info here.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...