Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transitioning from internal drive to eSATA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:56 AM

Anyone have a good method that's worked for transitioning from the internal drive to an external one? We have a bunch of shows recorded (20-30 hours I'd guess, would have been a lot more if it weren't summer) on the internal drive that I'd like to burn off, but want to start doing all the new recording on the external drive. Seems like it's going to be difficult to remember to switch back to the external after watching recordings on the internal, not to mention that recordings could be missed on the external while watching something on the internal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:58 AM

Anyone have a good method that's worked for transitioning from the internal drive to an external one? We have a bunch of shows recorded (20-30 hours I'd guess, would have been a lot more if it weren't summer) on the internal drive that I'd like to burn off, but want to start doing all the new recording on the external drive. Seems like it's going to be difficult to remember to switch back to the external after watching recordings on the internal, not to mention that recordings could be missed on the external while watching something on the internal.

You cannot transfer programs from the internal drive to the external drive.

Your only option is to disconnect the external drive and reboot the HR20 to get back to the internal drive.

#3 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

You cannot transfer programs from the internal drive to the external drive.

Your only option is to disconnect the external drive and reboot the HR20 to get back to the internal drive.

Right, just thinking about how to manage all the switching back and forth for a few weeks until we're finished watching everything on the internal one. Does anyone actually use both on a regular basis? I can't imagine doing that; we're usually watching during prime time when other things are recording.

#4 OFFLINE   bllreed

bllreed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

Does anyone know if the HR20-700 can be connected to a PC by component or
composite, then play something on the HR20 and record it to the PC?

BR

If you immediately know the candle light is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.....ODS

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

Does anyone know if the HR20-700 can be connected to a PC by component or
composite, then play something on the HR20 and record it to the PC?

BR

By composite or s-video only in real time and 480i, via a capture card.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

You do have the option of connecting and reconnecting the eSata drive so you can either access the internal drive with your old recordings or the external with your new recordings. That will require you to restart your HR20 every time you want to switch. You do risk losing certain settings in doing this. I haven't done this so I can't tell you which ones will be lost, if any.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#7 OFFLINE   marksman

marksman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

Having switched out DVRs many time over the years, ultimately what works best for me is to try and watch everything I REALLY want to see before I switch.

Then if there is some other stuff, I would make concerted marathon efforts to watch the old box for an afternoon or evening and then go back.

I think switching back and forth on a daily basis would just screw things up.

I suspect you will find that you don't really need to see all 30 of those hours, and some of it might be re-recordable on the new drive. With my most recent change that happened in several cases. I was able to find re-runs of shows I had on my tivo and just re-record them. Since then I have just switched over twice to watch old programs.

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

There are basically just a few options: 1) burn to DVD or PC capture, 2) watch as much as you can, 3) likely violate your TOS (if you're leasing) and open the unit to copy from one disk to the other, or 4) ignore whats on the internal drive and surprise yourself in a year when you take the external drive off. :)

I've used all of them in the past (I own a couple HR20s so didn't violate my TOS.) I'm not a big fan of burning to DVD as it takes time, but works. Normally, especially during the end of the summer, I can empty the drive.

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall