Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What have I done?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:06 PM

Well, if you remember that 80G drive that I got a few weeks back at BB, I finally got around to installing it. IN the process, I also succeeded in blowing up my cheap 90W power supply. I ran off to BB again, where they had a 300 watt supply for $64 and what appeared to be a very nice case with a 300W supply for $69. I ended up with the case since I didn't know if the new supply would fit in the old small case. After moving everything to the new case, a major accomplishment for a PC amateur like me, I installed the 80G drive and fired it up. All worked well as I could see my old C drive, my old D and E drives (a partitioned 30G) and my new F, 80G drive. I then installed "Partition Magic" and split the 80 into two sections. When I restarted, my old partitioned 30G was no where to be found. I did some digging around and under "Control Panel" "System" "Device Manager" "Settings" I can see my C drive and my new 80G now labeled as D, E. My old partitioned 30G shows in the "Device Manager/Settings", but has no drive letter assigned to the two sections and the area where you would normally assign a letter is "greyed out" and will not accept any entry. I get the info box below for this drive. Any ideas on how to fix and make this drive active?

Attached Thumbnails

• drive info box.jpg

The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 01:48 AM

Do you have TweakUI installed? If so, you may have inadvertantly 'hidden' the extra drive(s).

If you're running an older WIndows9x system, you also have to ensure you have the last drive setting in (wow, I realized it's such a long time ago that I last wrote a config.sys and autoexec.bat file ... err, one of the two, can't remember which!), anyway, one of those, you can probably find examples on the web

XP makes these kind of things SOOOOO much easier!

I'm assuming here that the BIOS still shows all drives correct and that the jumper settings on the rear of each drive is set right as master or slave, whichever IDE channel you have them on.

Cari
www.coribright.com
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...