Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Cartoon Network (Channel 296)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ktk0117

ktk0117

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:18 AM

Even the classic WB cartoons were aimed at adults, although you must be familiar with old time radio programs and 1940s politics to appreciate a lot of the jokes today.

Cartoons have never been aimed solely at children.

Yep, if you've ever seen them (now removed by our wonderful Gov't. sensoring for PC) there are old Bugs Bunny cartoons that were VERY political propaganda types.

1. Bug Bunny fighting the Japanese, "Bugs Bunny vs. The Japs" (close to actual title)

2. Bugs Bunny fighting the Nazi's (I don't recall the name)

I have these in Divx from Ebay, I could not believe some of the content on the Japanese episode!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RamaX

RamaX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:23 AM

No offense to those who wanted this channel in HD, but why cartoon network and not some other?

Just a little silly to me....

naaah, im definately digging that they did CN. Yeah im a fully grown old fart adult. But that doesnt mean i dont enjoy Futurama or Tom and Jerry occaisonally. And when i was just looking at it, it was hard to tell if it was stretch-o-vision. I recall the first time i saw that for myself was for a long time on TBS, which i mostly used to watch for reruns of NYPD blue. You could actually see an invisable line where there would sometimes be a distortion caused by the stretching. I must say these new channels the "stretching" is a HELLUVA lot more subtle. I havent seen that affect yet. Granted they arent all as good as Smithsonian or CNN (which i think looks awesome), but theyre still much better to my eye than old TBS was.

Maybe its a diff in MPEG2 VS MPEG4...???????? Im not sure, or if its broadcast side how they/if they upconvert to an HD signal something like NYPD blue, but that was my one example of really REALLY bad stretch-o-vision
HR20-100 : Mitsubishi 65315 LivRm HDMI-DVI & Optical to Sherwood 5.1
HR20-700 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Daughter Bdrm (w/puter hooked to it) HDMI
H20 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Sons MediaRm (w/ puter and Xbox360) HDMI
R15 : Proscan 37' My bedrm I forget..Coax.?
_____ : _73?__ Home Theater COMING SOON (so far its just some Klipschorns, 2 Technics SEA5-MK2 amps, Technics TT, Audio Control Bijou 5.1 EQ, ADC Spect Analyzr/EQ & dreams of more
Zinwell WB68 switch

#23 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,105 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

Is it closed captioned?

Yes. I just checked through the Slingbox, though I'm not a "captioning connoisseur" so I can't do much critiquing.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#24 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:59 AM

This is one of those stations where my thumb will remain poised over the "4:3" button on my Samsung's remote...ugly.
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

#25 OFFLINE   EidolonGG

EidolonGG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

No offense taken here for sure! I watched the CN a while back with my son who was 7 at the time and I could not believe the stuff I saw on some of the shows. I wound up blocking that channel on all receivers because quite frankly, some of the stuff he watched was just terrible and more for adults rather than small kids.

So CN in HD? For me, no big deal!

Are you sure your son wasn't watching Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. It's a block of shows late at night (I think starting at 11pm ET) that has many M-rated and TV-14 rated shows.

Your better bet that just outright block a channel is to block shows by rating level on your DirecTV receiver. There's no reason Tom & Jerry can't be watched, but that stops the Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Frisky Dingo's from being viewed.

This is just a guess - maybe he was watching some run of the mill cartoon that was offensive.

#26 OFFLINE   EidolonGG

EidolonGG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:21 AM

Tiebmbr: Some of us have TVs that don't let us view HD signals in 4:3 unfortunately :(

#27 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

Even the classic WB cartoons were aimed at adults, although you must be familiar with old time radio programs and 1940s politics to appreciate a lot of the jokes today.

This discussion can take on a complete life of it's own.

I'm about as liberal about entertainment as they come...but I too find a lot of cartoons today aimed at "kids" to be filled with offensive content, and I'm not talking about the jokes which go over kids heads which would be humorous more to their parents (see "Sponge Bob") I think the humor content aims too much at the gross-out , let's see how far we can get to the edge brand..aka the Farrelly Brothers, which simply does not belong in shows which are devoured by children's minds, then are reconstituted on the playground.

Cartoon Network is watched very sparingly in my home. HD won't make any difference either way in that regard.

:soapbox:
Now I'm off it.
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

#28 OFFLINE   pgfitzgerald

pgfitzgerald

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:56 AM

This is one of those stations where my thumb will remain poised over the "4:3" button on my Samsung's remote...ugly.

If it's "smart-stretch" or "panorama stretch", that's gonna look weird. I tried changing the picture size on TNTHD to 4:3 on my Sammy, and it freaked me out... even worse than the smart-stretch itself.

Paul
Family Room: DIRECTV HR24-500 [HDMI] SAMSUNG 56" HDTV (HL-S5687W) [eSATA] Antec MX-1 + WD20EVDS
Master Bedroom: DIRECTV H21-200 [HDMI] VIZIO 37" HDTV (VO370M)
Office: DIRECTV D12-300 [S-Video] Toshiba 14" SDTV (14AF43)
Equipment & Wiring: DIRECTV Slimline-3S (SWM), Belden RG6/U Coax (7915A)

#29 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

thay actually have to make cartoons in HD before it won't be stretched right?

Why? There is no earthly reason to stretch SD. Considering what D*s compression does to SD channels ("SD Lite"), even pillarboxed SD on mpeg4 is a massive improvement. But stretch it and you have crap again.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#30 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

It is just me or the picture quality on CNHD is plain bad? I see three thin vertical darker bars on both sides of the image and the picture goes from very sharp to very fuzzy as the scene changes. I'd say it is worse than the SD version.
All the other channels look great so it is channel specific.

#31 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

Not even in 5.1 (when I watched it this morning) just plain DD 2.0, like MGM HD:mad:

#32 OFFLINE   neuronbob

neuronbob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

I, for one, wanted this channel in HD. I watch anime on Adult Swim and much of the more recent stuff is in widescreen format and would benefit from HD. Can't wait to see more of it soon!
DirecTV customer since 1996
Current equipment: Slimline 3 with SL3K4NR0-01 LNB
HR20/700 to Philips 52PFL5704D/F7
H24 to Samsung HL-T5076
H24 to Samsung TXM3096
Whole Home Viewing via SWM-8

#33 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

It is just me or the picture quality on CNHD is plain bad? I see three thin vertical darker bars on both sides of the image and the picture goes from very sharp to very fuzzy as the scene changes. I'd say it is worse than the SD version.
All the other channels look great so it is channel specific.

Those thin bars are typical of crop & stretch, which cuts off part of the image then stretches the rest, making it lower rez than SD and uncorrectable in format.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#34 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

This discussion can take on a complete life of it's own.

I'm about as liberal about entertainment as they come...but I too find a lot of cartoons today aimed at "kids" to be filled with offensive content, and I'm not talking about the jokes which go over kids heads which would be humorous more to their parents (see "Sponge Bob") I think the humor content aims too much at the gross-out , let's see how far we can get to the edge brand..aka the Farrelly Brothers, which simply does not belong in shows which are devoured by children's minds, then are reconstituted on the playground.

Cartoon Network is watched very sparingly in my home. HD won't make any difference either way in that regard.

:soapbox:
Now I'm off it.

Speaking of cartoons that go over kids' heads, I'd love it if the Cartoon Network would add shows like Rocky and Bullwinkle with Fractured Fairy Tells and Peabody's Improbable History. There was some great political humor in those that I did not get on the 1st time around and now appreciate.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#35 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

Not even in 5.1 (when I watched it this morning) just plain DD 2.0, like MGM HD:mad:

Are you sure the program you were watching was produced in 5.1?
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#36 OFFLINE   seagod

seagod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

Other than 16:9 aspect I really don't see why this network is in HD. Animation is just blocks of color. I don't see how most of their programming would take advantage of the increased resolution....

Most everyone seems to think that HD means fill a 16:9 screen with picture. HD means increased resolution not distored resolution. The networks and/or D* that decided that in order to broadcast in HD they much stretch SD content is doing their customers a disservice. Until everyone stops saying it is OK they will continue to stretch. Our TVs stretch 4:3 content so let the end user watching the program decide. This way those that like distorted images can continue to stretch 4:3 content in various ways and those of us that like the best picture possible can leave it in the aspect ratio of the content creator.

Looks like another HD channel I will be forced to watch on the SD equivalent. I would not count this channel as an HD channel offering or any of those that stretch the picture as they are broadcasting distorted images not HD in my book. D* will have to offer even more HD channels to make up for these. Oh wait, I guess that is what the HD Extra Pack is for which we will have to pay for later.
[SIZE="2"]Receivers: HR20-700 (0x1B4), HR20-700 (0x1DE), H20-100 (2034) (All b-band connected with OTA)
Dishes/Switch: 5 LNB Slimline (4 lines), International (Flex 1), Zinwell WB68
Network: Wired Gigabit (All connected)
TV: Sony LCOS via HDMI (both HR20s), Sony CRT via component (H20)
Self installed[/SIZE]

#37 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

Right now Tom and Jerry is on and it looks like the Film was converted to Hi Def it looks really nice.

#38 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

because they were written by adults (obviously). The WB guys like Friz Freleng always said them made the cartoons for themselves, to what they thought was funny. And funny they were ... and still are. Some of those guys were comic geniuses.

Bullwinkle and its related cartoons (Fractured Fairy Tales, etc.) are full of adult puns, not dirty puns, but just ones that kids would not get at all.
[edit] I see Tubaman-Z already beat me to this. I remember puns about things like the Rosetta Stone, which is not going to be understood by any kid under 10. [/edit]

#39 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

Courage, a show which I think was produced in an HD format is looking great.

#40 OFFLINE   dphil9833

dphil9833

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

Can't say that I am surprised that CN would be stretched, being it belongs to the Turner groups (TNT, TBS, CNN, TCM, Boomerang and CN), and given that TBS and TNT are in glorious Strech-O-Vision, why should I expect that idiots that run the company (ahem. Ted) to treat CN any different. For that reason, even though I like the content of TCM, I am in no hurry to see it go HD either until they changed their miserable policy of stretching their content.
David

AU9 - (2013) DirecTV HR21-100, (2007) DirecTV HR20-100 and (1999) RCA DRD515RB
Phase 1 - (1998) two GE GRD33G3A's (classics!)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...