Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Cartoon Network (Channel 296)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

Most of the classic WB cartoons were produced when 4:3 was still the standard for major motion pictures. There's no good reason to stretch these cartoons.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   juventuz

juventuz

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

I read from the Creator/Producer of The Venture Brothers, which airs on adult swim, that their upcoming season is being done in HD.

#43 OFFLINE   brightsons

brightsons

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

So is there any programming in HD at all?

The second season of the Boondocks started last week, is in widescreen, and would look awesome in HD.

#44 OFFLINE   Lance22

Lance22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

It really doesn't surprise me that CN is stretched. All of the Turner channels are stretched (except CNN).

#45 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

. . . why should I expect that idiots that run the company (ahem. Ted) to treat CN any different.

Ted ain't in charge anymore. Time Warner suits run his empire now. He may be too liberal for most liberals, but I don't remember him screwing with the shows so much when he was in charge. I believe all of the editing of the Looney Toons and Merrie Melodies was done by Time Warner, not Turner.

#46 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

Can't say that I am surprised that CN would be stretched, being it belongs to the Turner groups (TNT, TBS, CNN, TCM, Boomerang and CN), and given that TBS and TNT are in glorious Strech-O-Vision, why should I expect that idiots that run the company (ahem. Ted) to treat CN any different. For that reason, even though I like the content of TCM, I am in no hurry to see it go HD either until they changed their miserable policy of stretching their content.

Ted has nothing to do with it anymore. It's lawyers at AOLTimeWarner that run this now. Don't blame Ted.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#47 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

So is there any programming in HD at all?

The second season of the Boondocks started last week, is in widescreen, and would look awesome in HD.

Justice League, Superman/Batman Animated Series (90's versions) were filmed in 480p widescreen from what I read.

Most anime (Ghost In The Shell, etc.) and film (Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons) can be telecined to any resolution.

#48 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

*sigh*

Another channel falls to the scourge of stretch-o-vision. I can't speak for the daytime shows, but I know several shows on Adult Swim weren't in any widescreen format (Futurama, Family Guy, Robot Chicken all come to mind). Who knows about the rest of it.

But the maroons who think HD = filled 16:9 screen will be happy, so that's the end of the argument. :(

#49 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

Saw some HD content this morning. Watching right now, if it's not HD it's zoomed and not stretched. Glad I didn't have this weird Pokemon crap when I was a kid though. Strange stuff. :lol:

#50 OFFLINE   RamaX

RamaX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

3 quick things:

A) I hate the bars on the side, so i always had my TV in stretch mode, so for me at least, stretch-o-vision is an IMPROVEMENT (that being said im picky and do want my HD to be real HD)

2) If you really dont like the CNHD, someone suggested putting his TV in 4:3....why wouldnt you just use the SD channel alternative..?

C)i would hope that some of the older really great cartoons would look better than, say some of the 70's cartoons. Tom and Jerry and old Bugs were definately made for adults first, and also were made to be played in movie theaters. So even tho i agree that resolution is is what drives HD, stretch-o-vision is more driven by aspect ratio than pure reoslution issues. And being these were designed for theaters im wondering/hoping that theyd look real nice with no stretch needed (i dont know if they made 2 versions or reedited and cropped alot of those since the 40s to "work right" on TVs
HR20-100 : Mitsubishi 65315 LivRm HDMI-DVI & Optical to Sherwood 5.1
HR20-700 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Daughter Bdrm (w/puter hooked to it) HDMI
H20 : Westinghouse LVM37 1080P Sons MediaRm (w/ puter and Xbox360) HDMI
R15 : Proscan 37' My bedrm I forget..Coax.?
_____ : _73?__ Home Theater COMING SOON (so far its just some Klipschorns, 2 Technics SEA5-MK2 amps, Technics TT, Audio Control Bijou 5.1 EQ, ADC Spect Analyzr/EQ & dreams of more
Zinwell WB68 switch

#51 OFFLINE   aphoward

aphoward

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

Our TVs stretch 4:3 content so let the end user watching the program decide. This way those that like distorted images can continue to stretch 4:3 content in various ways and those of us that like the best picture possible can leave it in the aspect ratio of the content creator.

I wish people would lay off of this argument. As has been stated time and again by a number of users of this forum, there are a good portion of people with TVs that don't stretch content that is prepopulated with pillar bars. However there are also many of us who have tvs that *will* unstretch content.

So instead of saying it should be done how you want it to because that works fo everyone, you should realize that it DOESNT work for everyone.

#52 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

Even the classic WB cartoons were aimed at adults, although you must be familiar with old time radio programs and 1940s politics to appreciate a lot of the jokes today.

Cartoons have never been aimed solely at children.

It wasn't until fairly recently that I found out the references with Foghorn Leghorn. Going through history classes in high school and college, they didn't go into subjects like Senator Claghorn. Some are tough to understand in this day and age, Bugs in blackface?

#53 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

normally i am very anti stretch-o-vision, but with cartoons i am not. reason being, the issue with stretching is it distorts the aspect ratio, and seeing that cartoons are always distorted by the artist, it really isn't a big deal to get used to. the kids just end up enjoying a different looking blob.
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#54 OFFLINE   geoliquid

geoliquid

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

I wish people would lay off of this argument. As has been stated time and again by a number of users of this forum, there are a good portion of people with TVs that don't stretch content that is prepopulated with pillar bars. However there are also many of us who have tvs that *will* unstretch content.

So instead of saying it should be done how you want it to because that works fo everyone, you should realize that it DOESNT work for everyone.

Can the data stream have a 4:3 flag and still be highdef? That's where the problem is. Our TVs see everything as 16:9 even when the content is showing piller boxes. If they were able to add that 4:3 flag in the stream everyone would be happy.

#55 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

normally i am very anti stretch-o-vision, but with cartoons i am not. reason being, the issue with stretching is it distorts the aspect ratio, and seeing that cartoons are always distorted by the artist, it really isn't a big deal to get used to. the kids just end up enjoying a different looking blob.

I know what you mean. I did see that weird stretch on the ends today when scooby doo was on and it did look odd though.

#56 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

Most HD televisions can stretch. Very few can unstretch. Odd that you would claim you are tired of people defending an argument that not everyone can work with and put forth one that FEWER people can work with.

How about this.....OAR regardless. People who want to stretch...I don't care about them. Why force me to watch distorted crap because someone is ignorant about what they are watching?

There is my argument. I don't care about the stretchers. They are wrong. Period.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#57 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

Cartoons in HD are few and far between. Viva Pinata, Samurai 7, and maybe a few 100% CG shows are in HD. Cartoons in widescreen, especially anime, is a lot more common. Samurai Jack, IGPX, Ghost in the Shell, Blood Plus, and .hack are examples of those. Wish they would just put some unobtrusive bars on the side instead of stretching the picture.

#58 OFFLINE   cougar

cougar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

Ted ain't in charge anymore. Time Warner suits run his empire now. He may be too liberal for most liberals, but I don't remember him screwing with the shows so much when he was in charge.

Ted did colorize some of his black-and-white MGM film library in the 80's which caused quite a stir in Hollywood. :)

#59 OFFLINE   PR Buick

PR Buick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

I would rather they show SD material the same way SciFi does--in the correct aspect ratio, not stretched. Like many, my TV won't let me use zoom/aspect ratio controls on a 480p or 1080i signal. For me to unstretch this material, I've got to wade through settings for both my TV and receiver, which is a real pain.

#60 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

Can't tell if Boondocks is HD or stretched. Stretched I guess.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...