Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Cartoon Network (Channel 296)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   aphoward

aphoward

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

Our TVs stretch 4:3 content so let the end user watching the program decide. This way those that like distorted images can continue to stretch 4:3 content in various ways and those of us that like the best picture possible can leave it in the aspect ratio of the content creator.

I wish people would lay off of this argument. As has been stated time and again by a number of users of this forum, there are a good portion of people with TVs that don't stretch content that is prepopulated with pillar bars. However there are also many of us who have tvs that *will* unstretch content.

So instead of saying it should be done how you want it to because that works fo everyone, you should realize that it DOESNT work for everyone.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,278 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

Even the classic WB cartoons were aimed at adults, although you must be familiar with old time radio programs and 1940s politics to appreciate a lot of the jokes today.

Cartoons have never been aimed solely at children.

It wasn't until fairly recently that I found out the references with Foghorn Leghorn. Going through history classes in high school and college, they didn't go into subjects like Senator Claghorn. Some are tough to understand in this day and age, Bugs in blackface?

#53 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

normally i am very anti stretch-o-vision, but with cartoons i am not. reason being, the issue with stretching is it distorts the aspect ratio, and seeing that cartoons are always distorted by the artist, it really isn't a big deal to get used to. the kids just end up enjoying a different looking blob.
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#54 OFFLINE   geoliquid

geoliquid

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

I wish people would lay off of this argument. As has been stated time and again by a number of users of this forum, there are a good portion of people with TVs that don't stretch content that is prepopulated with pillar bars. However there are also many of us who have tvs that *will* unstretch content.

So instead of saying it should be done how you want it to because that works fo everyone, you should realize that it DOESNT work for everyone.

Can the data stream have a 4:3 flag and still be highdef? That's where the problem is. Our TVs see everything as 16:9 even when the content is showing piller boxes. If they were able to add that 4:3 flag in the stream everyone would be happy.

#55 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

normally i am very anti stretch-o-vision, but with cartoons i am not. reason being, the issue with stretching is it distorts the aspect ratio, and seeing that cartoons are always distorted by the artist, it really isn't a big deal to get used to. the kids just end up enjoying a different looking blob.

I know what you mean. I did see that weird stretch on the ends today when scooby doo was on and it did look odd though.

#56 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

Most HD televisions can stretch. Very few can unstretch. Odd that you would claim you are tired of people defending an argument that not everyone can work with and put forth one that FEWER people can work with.

How about this.....OAR regardless. People who want to stretch...I don't care about them. Why force me to watch distorted crap because someone is ignorant about what they are watching?

There is my argument. I don't care about the stretchers. They are wrong. Period.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#57 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

Cartoons in HD are few and far between. Viva Pinata, Samurai 7, and maybe a few 100% CG shows are in HD. Cartoons in widescreen, especially anime, is a lot more common. Samurai Jack, IGPX, Ghost in the Shell, Blood Plus, and .hack are examples of those. Wish they would just put some unobtrusive bars on the side instead of stretching the picture.

#58 OFFLINE   cougar

cougar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

Ted ain't in charge anymore. Time Warner suits run his empire now. He may be too liberal for most liberals, but I don't remember him screwing with the shows so much when he was in charge.

Ted did colorize some of his black-and-white MGM film library in the 80's which caused quite a stir in Hollywood. :)

#59 OFFLINE   PR Buick

PR Buick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

I would rather they show SD material the same way SciFi does--in the correct aspect ratio, not stretched. Like many, my TV won't let me use zoom/aspect ratio controls on a 480p or 1080i signal. For me to unstretch this material, I've got to wade through settings for both my TV and receiver, which is a real pain.

#60 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

Can't tell if Boondocks is HD or stretched. Stretched I guess.

#61 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

Can't tell if Boondocks is HD or stretched. Stretched I guess.

Stretched. The SD channel is 4x3 not letterboxed.

Can get away with it with Boondocks since it is so stylized (almost anime).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#62 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

This is retarded. 90% of the cartoons out there are made in 4:3, so why would Cartoon Network come out with an HD version, and just stretch everything?

Lame.

#63 OFFLINE   Ein

Ein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

There are ton of HD animes in Japan. All it needed is for someone to buy the rights to show them here.

#64 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

There are ton of HD animes in Japan. All it needed is for someone to buy the rights to show them here.

And for all that is Holy, please don't let it be 4Kids! :nono: :nono: :nono:

#65 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:10 PM

How about this.....OAR regardless.

Definitely.

But it appears that we are losing the battle at this point.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#66 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:38 AM

Definitely.

But it appears that we are losing the battle at this point.

It is a temporary setback. Just as many SD movie channels eased into showing theatrical films in a letterbox format, HD channels will ease into OAR when most of what they show starts out as widescreen and 4:3 is less common.

It's as if the channels are afraid of not being perceived as HD if they leave shows in 4:3. Of course, aspect ratio is the HD characteristic that is easiest to perceive.

And I don't think TCM will stretch when they finally go HD. They have made it abundantly clear that they understand OAR--AFAIK, they currently letterbox all the widescreen movies, so I doubt they will stretch the 4:3.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#67 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:57 AM

Most HD televisions can stretch. Very few can unstretch. Odd that you would claim you are tired of people defending an argument that not everyone can work with and put forth one that FEWER people can work with.

How about this.....OAR regardless. People who want to stretch...I don't care about them. Why force me to watch distorted crap because someone is ignorant about what they are watching?

There is my argument. I don't care about the stretchers. They are wrong. Period.

Who knows why the program providers stretch or don't stretch? I do know this: the vast majority of people I see and talk to, don't like bars, don't like widescreen and complain horribly if a DVD is only available in WideScreen.

It is disconcerting to me, how ill-informed and "stuck in the old ways" the general public appears to be...and it's not just that they don't like widescreen or pillar bars, they don't want to have to even "touch" their tvs....if they have to do something other than hit the on/off button to get a "full screen" picture, they are unhappy.

I'm NOT exaggerating. If the program providers are exposed to this same ignoramus sentiment from enough people, we get "stretch-o-vision" instead of giving us the choice to retain OAR.
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#68 OFFLINE   DtroitPunk

DtroitPunk

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:43 AM

Ive been watching it for about an hour and it looks REALLY good.

If this is stretch-o-vision, I am FINE with it.

No bars at all. Commercials and cartoons ALL look really good.

This channel is on ALOT in my house, now it is MUCH more enjoyable.

Tom and Jerry NEVER looked so good!!!!:D
DtroitPunk72 on rockmymonkey dot com
Check out my CD reviews!

#69 OFFLINE   PlanetBill

PlanetBill

Icon

• Registered
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

I'm used to watching the SD in stretch. The new channel, even though its stretched, is far superior to the SD channel stretched. 2 thumbs up.
HR20-700 (DECA), HR24, HR22 (DECA),
HR21(DECA),H23(DECA),R15

#70 OFFLINE   KurtV

KurtV

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:50 AM

... I do know this: the vast majority of people I see and talk to, don't like bars, don't like widescreen and complain horribly if a DVD is only available in WideScreen.

It is disconcerting to me, how ill-informed and "stuck in the old ways" the general public appears to be...and it's not just that they don't like widescreen or pillar bars, they don't want to have to even "touch" their tvs....if they have to do something other than hit the on/off button to get a "full screen" picture, they are unhappy.

I'm NOT exaggerating. If the program providers are exposed to this same ignoramus sentiment from enough people, we get "stretch-o-vision" instead of giving us the choice to retain OAR.

This is unfortunately all too true. There are even several posts in this very thread that echo the mindset and that's from supposed "power users" (or at least people who care enough to seek out information here).
HR20 (connected to TV via HDMI and receiver via optical), Native On, 480i output disabled in Hr-20, No networking, Belkin 500W UPS, 6x8 multiswitch, Samsung HL-S4666W TV, Samsung Receiver/DVD Player

H20 connected to Samsung 1080i CRT HDTV via component

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Churchill

#71 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:50 AM

Honestly, i was al ready to hate it and really it doesn't bother me that much. Hmmmmm...I must be getting soft in my old age. LOL
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#72 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationBossier City, LA

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

It is really too bad most people have no clue why widescreen is the new standard, they want a "full" picture on their 4x3 tv. I was at Walmart last night at midnight buying Transformers, the other 3 geeks in line with me were complaining because they wanted "full screen".

Sony KDL-70w850b, Denon AVR-2311Ci, Klipsch 7.1, HR44-700

#73 OFFLINE   MikeekiM

MikeekiM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

No, they can show them 4:3 in the middle of the screen and take advantage of the increased resolution.

Many cartoons, features and shorts, that were created for theatres are widescreen. Hopefully those will be shown correctly.

As far as why this channel instead of some other, we really don't know the reason for the order of any of the added channels, do we?

+1

Absolutely my perspective... Give me the normal aspect ratio and let me use my television display settings to stretch it if I want (which I never do)...

#74 OFFLINE   seagod

seagod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:31 AM

Exactly my point. It does not work for everyone. So why say lay off this argument when you would argue for having stretch-o-vision. You have a TV that will compress the image but mine does not offer that option. One can not please everyone all the time. Have you thougt about the fact that the majority of TVs do not offer a compress option. Even D*'s HR20 does not offer a compress option but does offer a stretch option. My point is that the broadcasters are not broadcasting the image in the native aspect ratio and thus they are distorting the image. Even if you compress the image from a stretched image the image is not the same as one that was not strecthed to begin with.

If we are asked our opinions, it does not matter if others have pointed this out or not but I am voicing my concern as to the format of the picture D* is giving us. You will probably not agree with any of this and that is your right but I also have the right to not agree with you.
[SIZE="2"]Receivers: HR20-700 (0x1B4), HR20-700 (0x1DE), H20-100 (2034) (All b-band connected with OTA)
Dishes/Switch: 5 LNB Slimline (4 lines), International (Flex 1), Zinwell WB68
Network: Wired Gigabit (All connected)
TV: Sony LCOS via HDMI (both HR20s), Sony CRT via component (H20)
Self installed[/SIZE]

#75 OFFLINE   KurtV

KurtV

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

But why would you ever WANT to distort the image (or as you call it, an image "prepopulated with pillar bars")?
HR20 (connected to TV via HDMI and receiver via optical), Native On, 480i output disabled in Hr-20, No networking, Belkin 500W UPS, 6x8 multiswitch, Samsung HL-S4666W TV, Samsung Receiver/DVD Player

H20 connected to Samsung 1080i CRT HDTV via component

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Churchill

Protected By... spam firewall...And...