Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: Cartoon Network (Channel 296)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

I tried using the analog audio outs from my HR20-100 the other day, and the regularly repeating sub-second audio drops are still there--one every ~48 seconds. I was hoping it was a problem with the way my AV receiver was interpreting the DD (or PCM) signal, but no dice. As far as I can tell, Cartoon Network HD is the *only* channel I receive that has this bizarre audio problem.

Any thoughts? Anyone else notice this?

There are other HD channels that have experienced this problem. In the last two weeks it's been a common problem in the new MPEG-4 Tier of HD channels. In the last few days, it's gotten much better.

For the first week or two 202 (CNN-HD) was just awful, and so were several other HD channels (MPEG-4). I have seen a smattering of these reports, so it's not just me, and my signal levels are strong and stable. Same dish, different line and a different receiver had none of the same problems, with the same signal levels and stability. It all points to a combination of firmware problems and D* early shake out problems.

In a very few cases it is dish/cable/switch problems...but there are too many other reports from reliable people to see a sudden rash of those.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   croomshine

croomshine

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

I've noticed the audio dropouts on this channel as well. While watching family guy, you can tell when someone is talking and the audio drops for a blip. It did happen fairly regularly.

#123 OFFLINE   agent0014

agent0014

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

I'm finding it completely frustrating that Turner would go to the lengths to release a HD channel and not properly display their content that is set to a native 16x9 aspect ratio. I'd like to send them an email, but I'm feeling unsure as to how to word it for most effect. Has anyone created or found any form letters to send out regarding this?

Also, are others still experiencing the sound issues? I noticed it last night on some recorded items but I can't remember the date on the programs I was watching. I'll have to check it tonight when I get home.

#124 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

any one notice any audio issues with this channel??

i had a few audio skips recording the boondocks on Monday night.

it was just a slight skip and not a complete audio drop out.
video and caption was fine but in the middle of a sentence the audio would skip for a second. and no I'm not confusing this audio issue for a curse word edit, this occurred during sentences with out curse words.

Yep I get the same problem here. Happens while watching live or recorded shows. I hope they get this fixed.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#125 OFFLINE   briang5000

briang5000

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

Yep I get the same problem here. Happens while watching live or recorded shows. I hope they get this fixed.

I was watching Family Guy on Cartoon HD this week and during the Family Guy
I was hearing this slight audio dropout every few minutes.

Very annoying. Only channel that I've encountered this problem -- not sure what is causing it.

~ Brian

#126 OFFLINE   eyalas

eyalas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

Same here. I have had this audio problem since the first day the channel became available.

#127 OFFLINE   laurie_lu

laurie_lu

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

As far as I can tell, Cartoon Network HD is the *only* channel I receive that has this bizarre audio problem.

Any thoughts? Anyone else notice this?

This is the only channel that I get the audio dropouts as well. I find it extremely annoying because it's like having the hiccups. We have this channel on a lot because my kids favorite programs are on it.

#128 OFFLINE   Corenth

Corenth

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:10 PM

I too get the audio drop outs on Cartoon Network HD. The tech that came out to look at it denied the problem and wanted me to hook my receiver up with RCA cables. I told him to go home and DTV sent me a new receiver. It didn't help and the problem persists.

#129 OFFLINE   sheltrk

sheltrk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

I too get the audio drop outs on Cartoon Network HD. The tech that came out to look at it denied the problem and wanted me to hook my receiver up with RCA cables. I told him to go home and DTV sent me a new receiver. It didn't help and the problem persists.

I can't believe the tech actually denied the problem! However, I did actually try it with RCA cables (for the audio, anyway...) a while back. I was hoping it was just some problem with my receiver decoding the DD 5.1. I figured analog Dolby Surround would be more tolerable than DD 5.1 with an audio drop-out once every ~48 seconds. No matter--the regular drop-outs are also on the analog audio output --at the same times as the DD 5.1, by the way. For the record, I also tried switching my HR20-100 to PCM mode (back to digital audio), and the regular audio drop-outs persist in that mode (once again, at the same times).

I think the problem is almost certainly with the Cartoon Network HD feed. I can't imagine why DirecTV would do anything differently with the Cartoon Network HD than it would with other channels on the same satellite?

Question:
Does anyone know someone with Dish Network or Cable who also gets Cartoon Network HD? Do they experience the same regular audio drop-outs--once every ~48 seconds?

#130 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

Does anyone know someone with Dish Network or Cable who also gets Cartoon Network HD?

I'm fairly certain that DirecTV is the only provider that carries this channel right now.

#131 OFFLINE   hobbes4444

hobbes4444

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

Add another to the list of disgruntled cartoon addicts experiencing frequent annoying droputs in the HD feed. And I concur that it occurs on both digital (to my receiver) and analog (to my TV) audio.

#132 OFFLINE   laurie_lu

laurie_lu

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

Oddly though, my kids ( 11 & 7) don't even notice the problem on this channel.:confused:

#133 OFFLINE   sheltrk

sheltrk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

Is anyone at DIRECTV aware of the 'Cartoon Network HD'-specific audio dropout problem?

Is anyone at Cartoon Network aware of the audio dropout problem?

It's not clear to me whose side of the fence the problem is on.

Side Issue: Unfortunately, it is not easy for me to readily communicate the exact nature of the problem. Many other DIRECTV channels seem to suffer from occasional, momentary audio dropouts (at least on my HR-20), but these are usually recoverable by rewinding. The 'Cartoon Network HD'-specific audio dropout problem happens regularly, and the sound lost cannot be recovered by rewinding. I've had no luck explaining this problem to entry-level DIRECTV CSRs over the phone.

#134 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

Is anyone at DIRECTV aware of the 'Cartoon Network HD'-specific audio dropout problem?

Is anyone at Cartoon Network aware of the audio dropout problem?

It's not clear to me whose side of the fence the problem is on.

I think dtv and cartoon Network dont give a s- - t about this problem! It cant be a real hard problem to fix by whoever is at fault.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#135 OFFLINE   NorfolkBruh

NorfolkBruh

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

See in the window Magilla Gorilla full of charm and appeal
Handsome
Elegant
Intelligent
Sweet
He's really ideal!!!

If you want a real gorilla you can call your own
(lil gurlz voice) "How much for that gorilla in the window?"

Take our advice
For any price
You can't get a gorilla like Magilla for any price...
Gorilla
Magilla Gorilla for saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale!!!!!

Ahhhhh.... Magilla and Mr. Peabody!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...