Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discussion: A&E (Channel 265)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BrandonH

BrandonH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

I watched a little bit of a CSI Miami rerun and it looked like the show was sped up slightly. I guess they do that to fit more commercials in but it was pretty distracting. Besides that the picture looked pretty good.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:14 PM

CSI Miami looks great!
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#23 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:02 PM

Stretched image ........... NOT acceptable!

Aspect ratio is not a “feature”; please broadcast the shows in their original aspect ratio.

I refuse to watch distorted shows.

Please take notes from HDnet. The king of HD.

#24 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

Looks like all the 24 reruns and Crossing Jordan's are non-HD, but CSI Miami, Sopranos and others are HD. Did they not acquire the HD rights to those programs? I know they were shot in HD...

Seasons 1-3 of "24" were originally aired in widescreen SD, while seasons 4-6 were HD. It's possible the first three seasons were produced in HD, but FOX did not have the capability to air HD programming until September 2004.

That said, the current season airing on A&E (Day 4) was absolutely in HD, so it is ridiculous to show a 4:3 version stretched out to fill 16:9 when that is available. However, it's possible that it's NOT being made available to them -- A&E is at the mercy of the program provider -- in this case, 20th Century Fox -- and they may not (for whatever reason) give them HD material. Most likely, this could be because most of these shows are EDITED to a shorter length, and the program provider doesn't want to bear the expense of doing that in HD.

No matter the reason, what's being shown is totally unwatchable. If you really want to see it, the best source at the moment are the DVDs.

#25 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:01 AM

I watched a little bit of a CSI Miami rerun and it looked like the show was sped up slightly. I guess they do that to fit more commercials in but it was pretty distracting. Besides that the picture looked pretty good.

TVLand does that a lot. I'm not much of a purist when it comes to TV shows (moreso for movies) but seeing Aunt Bea jump around Mayberry like that is a bit irritating. To hear that A&E does it to a drama is almost unbelievable.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#26 OFFLINE   netconcepts

netconcepts

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:54 AM

CSI Miami looks great!

Too much hesitation and pixilation on this show to make it watchable here. It was so bad that I had to change the channel.

H20 x2024

#27 OFFLINE   DTTC

DTTC

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:11 AM

+1. The only station that seems to get this right (Zoom, instead of stretch) is PBS-HD, which I receive OTA. They zoom letter boxed SD in proportion, so it looks like HD-LITE 16:9. The only way it should be done, IMO. Why is this so difficult for the other station engineers to figure out, I wonder? /steve

The Discovery channels (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet and Science) all do this.

#28 OFFLINE   bob huntsman

bob huntsman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:12 AM

The problem with pix quality/stretch on A&E HD is related to a fire at their main uplink facility in Stamford, CT a couple weeks ago. They are operating from a backup site right now, and quality should improve when things get back to normal.

#29 OFFLINE   satwood

satwood

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

I watched the Sopranos last night on A&E HD and the amount of hesitation and frame freeze was significant. It seemed like the re-construction processing was getting lost many times and it made the scenes hard to watch. Scenes with very little motion were much better than ones with fast changes. I hope they are working on this...

H20-100 0x2034

Steve
Technology Consultant
1 - H20, 2 - D11, 1 - H21
AT-9 Dish, DirecTV since 2000

#30 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

Yes, both A&E and History stretch any 4:3 content they show. It's really bad when they show 16:9 stuff that was letterboxed to fit 4:3 and stretch it back to 16:9. There's not a TV in existence that looks good on.

So, feel free to join myself and other E* subs who have already complained to A&E networks about this issue.

As a RPTV owner, I much prefer stretch-o-vision over the ESPN and CNN models. I really don't want a vertical pair of ESPN or HD HD (CNN's version) burned into the edges of my screen!

If you're gonna pillar box, PLEASE LEAVE THE PILLARS BLANK!!!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#31 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

The problem with pix quality/stretch on A&E HD is related to a fire at their main uplink facility in Stamford, CT a couple weeks ago. They are operating from a backup site right now, and quality should improve when things get back to normal.

thanks for the info....i like A&E programming & the PQ was making
me not like it as much

#32 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

Oh, right. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder and that certainly may help things a bit when they are back to full operation.

However, I don't think that will do anything for the stretching practice. Next to true HD, I would personally prefer an upconverted SD with pillar bars to a stretched image any day. I think the choice to stretch or zoom should be in the hands of the viewer, not the broadcaster.

#33 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:53 AM

Next to true HD, I would personally prefer an upconverted SD with pillar bars to a stretched image any day. I think the choice to stretch or zoom should be in the hands of the viewer, not the broadcaster.

:up:
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#34 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

Some, not all. I've had A&E HD since it launched (via another provider), and many if not most of the problems have always existed.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#35 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

I watched the Sopranos last night on A&E HD and the amount of hesitation and frame freeze was significant. It seemed like the re-construction processing was getting lost many times and it made the scenes hard to watch. Scenes with very little motion were much better than ones with fast changes. I hope they are working on this...

The "hesitation" that everyone is describing is caused by a process called "time-expansion." The video is being slowed-down to make the show(s) longer -- it works by repeating frames, which has the effect of making the picture appear to "hesitate." As noted, it is especially obnoxious during scenes with motion -- a smooth camera pan being the easiest way to see it.

I should note that A&E has been doing this long before now -- it's been visible on their SD channel going back at least a year, and perhaps longer.

#36 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

The "hesitation" that everyone is describing is caused by a process called "time-expansion." The video is being slowed-down to make the show(s) longer -- it works by repeating frames, which has the effect of making the picture appear to "hesitate." As noted, it is especially obnoxious during scenes with motion -- a smooth camera pan being the easiest way to see it.

I should note that A&E has been doing this long before now -- it's been visible on their SD channel going back at least a year, and perhaps longer.

what is the purpose of this "time expansion"
i guess i don't understand...you mean if they
have 55 mins of program & want to make it
58 mins for example they do this....

#37 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

what is the purpose of this "time expansion"
i guess i don't understand...you mean if they
have 55 mins of program & want to make it
58 mins for example they do this....

Yes, that's it exactly. More commonly, "time-compression" is used, where something that runs 55 minutes might be sped-up so that it only runs 53 -- that gives them two extra minutes for commercials. You can usually spot that because the visual effect is just the opposite -- instead of "hesitation," the image appears to be "jumping" ahead (which it is, because now instead of repeating frames, it is DELETING them).

#38 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

Yes, that's it exactly. More commonly, "time-compression" is used, where something that runs 55 minutes might be sped-up so that it only runs 53 -- that gives them two extra minutes for commercials. You can usually spot that because the visual effect is just the opposite -- instead of "hesitation," the image appears to be "jumping" ahead (which it is, because now instead of repeating frames, it is DELETING them).

ok thanks...& all this time i thought
it was my equipment acting up at times

#39 OFFLINE   Bigworm

Bigworm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:25 AM

Too much hesitation and pixilation on this show to make it watchable here. It was so bad that I had to change the channel.

Wheeew.....glad it`s not just me!!
My Setup
H20-600, AU-9 slimline, D* sub since 2001 *connected to tv via HDMI, connected to surround reciever via fiber optic
Pioneer 50" PDP-5071HD Plasma TV
Sony STR DE975 5.1 Surround reciever 110x5

#40 OFFLINE   lionsrule

lionsrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

THIS CHANNEL IN HD IS POINTLESS.

Almost NOTHING is in HD. It is either pillar boxed or stretched 9/10 times.

What a waste.

spam firewall