Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discussion: HBO/Cinemax (Channels 501-514)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

509 is the actual feed
70 is the old virtual channel
501 is a new virtual channel to be the same as the new MPEG4s. Same number as the SD version.

I don't believe that any of these channels is more "actual" than the other, is it?

They all refer your receiver to the same satellite, transponder, and data stream.

Until it goes up in Mpeg4, that is.:)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,651 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

Had to refresh two receivers because I couldn't get channel 504. No issues here now and all looks great!

I had to refresh one of my receivers to get HBOWHD - 504. Weird that people had problems with this channel. Cinemax, Showtime, Starz all authorized without incident

#23 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

I don't believe that any of these channels is more "actual" than the other, is it?

They all refer your receiver to the same satellite, transponder, and data stream.

Until it goes up in Mpeg4, that is.:)

When highlighting 70 it says HBO HD Virtual. Highlighing 509 shows HBO HD.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#24 OFFLINE   duck33

duck33

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

Refresh your Services

I had to refresh 2 of my units also. Thanks DVDKingdom for the link. So much easier to refresh online then calling D* and sitting on hold..

#25 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

When highlighting 70 it says HBO HD Virtual. Highlighing 509 shows HBO HD.

Thanks for the info, I never checked that.

I wonder if that means the receiver performs some kind of "redirect" like we see with some web pages?

I just assumed the different channel numbers referred to the same data stream with no in-between step.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#26 OFFLINE   peechus

peechus

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

so how do i refresh my h20 ...let's go back to "this is a ball"

#27 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

so how do i refresh my h20 ...let's go back to "this is a ball"

Refresh Your Services

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#28 OFFLINE   cts33fan

cts33fan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

Lost APHD yesterday and not getting HBOWHD. Are they on the same transponder by chance? Just want to have all the info I can before I call D* for allignment.

#29 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

They're all MPEG2 just two are just mirrored off of the actual feed. HBO HD 501 is just to be consistent with the new MPEG4 channels.

What about HBOWHD? Is this new feed MPEG4 or MPEG2?

#30 OFFLINE   hockeynut07

hockeynut07

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Should be MPEG4. Any HD channels added from here on out will be MPEG4.

#31 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

Refresh Your Services

Thanks! I too had to reset for channel 504 - worked like a charm:)
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#32 OFFLINE   FredMig

FredMig

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

What about HBOWHD? Is this new feed MPEG4 or MPEG2?

Will MPEG4 HBOWHD have a better HD picture than MPEG2 HBOHD?
fredmig

#33 OFFLINE   perilous

perilous

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

Will MPEG4 HBOWHD have a better HD picture than MPEG2 HBOHD?

That's my question too!!! I have posted this question in various threads here and at avs asking for A/B comparisons, etc. So far, I have not seen an answer!!! :confused:

#34 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

Should be MPEG4. Any HD channels added from here on out will be MPEG4.

Thanks for the response. I had same conclusion, as I fail to see how DirecTV would have the bandwidth to accommodate another HD channel off its older sats @ 110 & 119.

Assuming this to be the case, one has to conclude that HBOWHD is MPEG4, which implies (i) better video quality & (ii) less disk space consumed on DVR's hard drive. But its difficult to discern difference in PQ. Will have to check.

But as for other new HD channels, PQ is on par, or damn close to OTA. PQ of MLB games yesterday on TBSHD were on par with OTA HD PQ. Issue is MPEG4 does not necessarily equate to better PQ if DirecTV is focusing more upon bandwidth resource allocation than enhanced PQ.

#35 OFFLINE   rahchgo

rahchgo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

... Assuming this to be the case, one has to conclude that HBOWHD is MPEG4, which implies (i) better video quality & (ii) less disk space consumed on DVR's hard drive. But its difficult to discern difference in PQ. Will have to check. ...

Good point. In the future, when I want to record a movie on HBO, I'll use the HBOWHD feed when the schedule allows to save disk space.
Rich - Chicago, IL (Tri-Taylor neighborhood) HR44-500

#36 OFFLINE   perilous

perilous

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

That's my question too!!! I have posted this question in various threads here and at avs asking for A/B comparisons, etc. So far, I have not seen an answer!!! :confused:

Still no answer.......:nono2:

#37 OFFLINE   rahchgo

rahchgo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:39 AM

Still no answer.......:nono2:

It seems to me that squawk answered your question a couple of posts up. The answer is what I ofter call "standard answer #1 - It DEPENDS!" It depends on the quality of your set. It depends on whether the source is 720i or 1080i. It depends on how the source was originally recorded. It depends on the bit rate that D* feeds into a particular stream before the compression. And, as someone stated above, not every individual can discern the difference. My wife, for instance, cannot understand why I like HD so much better than SD. She can't see the difference.

I don't think there is the kind of answer you are looking for.
Rich - Chicago, IL (Tri-Taylor neighborhood) HR44-500

#38 OFFLINE   CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:46 AM

HBOW is superior on D* to the MPEG-2, HD-Lite HBO-East. I've checked it out with 2 different movies.

#39 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

It seems to me that squawk answered your question a couple of posts up. The answer is what I ofter call "standard answer #1 - It DEPENDS!" It depends on the quality of your set. It depends on whether the source is 720i or 1080i. It depends on how the source was originally recorded. It depends on the bit rate that D* feeds into a particular stream before the compression. And, as someone stated above, not every individual can discern the difference. My wife, for instance, cannot understand why I like HD so much better than SD. She can't see the difference. I don't think there is the kind of answer you are looking for.

PQ will always "depend." I use the acronym "STD" (Source-Transmission-Display) whenever I try to explain to someone general factors that impact HD video quality. Source is how the video content is originally captured & stored digitally. Transmission is how that digital content is transmitted from the storage medium to the studio to the sat uplink & ultimately broadcasted to one's STB & routed to one's TV. Display is how that digital content is converted back to analog on the display (i.e. 720p, 1080i, 1080p).

Relevant to this conversation is: (i) what DirecTV does with the digital source content is receives from HBO; (ii) does it use MPEG4 compression or MPEG2; (iii) to what extent does it down-res; (iv) to what extent does it compress the data?

(i) it's plain as day that video quality of a live broadcast (i.e. sports programming) is much better than a TV episode or film. IMHO, it has to do with how the original source is captured. Sports programming, because there's a lot of movement, requires source content to be as detailed as possible. Video info changes with each frame. Bottom line, HBO video quality is not the best to behold with an HDTV.

(ii) assuming HBOWHD is MPEG4, which a much more efficient compression scheme than MPEG2;

(iii) then given the elimination of "limited bandwidth," video is NOT down-rez'd.

(iv) so big issue, impacting PQ is to what extent is DirecTV compressing HBOWHD feed? If HBOHD under MPEG2 is compressed to, let's say, a 8 Mbps feed, in order for the MPEG4 feed to look better (notwithstanding the absence of down-res), the feed should be @ least 4 Mbps, more likely in the 5-6 Mbps range.

Bottom line to all this BS, is the pic quality we perceive with our eyes & our brain. That's the litmus test, not the above analysis. The analysis just explains it. Personally, its tough to compare the two HBO HD feeds unless you've recorded the same content off each of the channels 3 hours apart, & then compare. I haven't had the opportunity nor the desire to do that.

PS. My drive is close to full having recorded a bunch of films off the "new" STARZ HD channels, & non-compressed OTA feeds off PBS's "The War." Can't spare the extra drive space, plus always record MLB playoff games in case I miss.

PSS. Big positive for us HR20 owners is that MPEG4 recordings will consume less drive space than MPEG2 recordings, not to mention the much improved PQ (of some programming).

#40 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

HBOW is superior on D* to the MPEG-2, HD-Lite HBO-East. I've checked it out with 2 different movies.

Thanks, Coach. But I think the best way to compare is to compare the same content. Only way to do this is record each & compare PQ. Very tough to compare different content.

Also, if record each, note how much drive space is freed up after deleting content. MPEG2 content should free up more space than MPEG4. Problem is we only see percentage, not actual space freed up. So best to record content of long duration, or record two sequential 2 hour programs off each of the HBO HD feeds, then delete. JMO.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...