Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discussion: The History Channel (Channel 269)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:54 PM

Discussion thread for the new HD channel: The History Channel (Channel 269)

Topics: PQ, Programming, Stretch-0-vision (we hope not!), etc.

And don't forget our other coverage of the new DIRECTV HD channels:

The list of Launched Channels,
Troubleshooting Tips for the New HD Channels,
and just for fun, The "I Got Them!" Challenge.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:43 AM

Welcome to the new HD on DIRECTV. The History Channel has been confirmed.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:01 AM

Way to earily to tell. What I saw this morning was grainy and stretched.

#4 OFFLINE   ddeen

ddeen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:27 AM

Wow, they are playing The Last of the Mohicans and the quality is terrible, it looks like SD stretched that came off of a VHS tape, I can even see that the tracking is off.
HR20-100 since July07
R15-500 since January06
Slimline Dish
Pioneer 5070HD Plasma
Yamaha RX-V620
Homebuilt HTPC
Harmony 670 Remote
Toshiba SD-3750 DVD

#5 OFFLINE   powerplay

powerplay

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:29 AM

What they are brocasting at the moment is not good. It is in 720P with no 5.1audio. The show would have to be very interesting in order for me to watch it.

#6 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

Ick.

They've gotta have better content...
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#7 OFFLINE   fade2black

fade2black

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:53 AM

Someone in another thread said Mohicans was in OAR.... respectfully, they're nuts! Upconverted AND stretched!!! :nono2: Why do providers believe we want to see wider-than-normal people??? And I'm (NOT) looking at you, TBS and TNT!!! Bad enough people get flat screens, hit "fill" on an SD channel, and think they have HD.... I have no problem with a decent upconvert, so much non 16:9 source material around, just don't insult us with stretch-o-vision!!!
</rant> :grin:
H20-600 2/06 0x407eHR20-100 9/19/07 0x290
Westinghouse LVM-37w3 lcd 8/06 • Samsung HL-T5087sx dlp rp 12/07
HDMI into both sets • Slimline 9/17/07 all self-installed
DirecTV sub since 12/96

#8 OFFLINE   aktick

aktick

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:28 AM

Hopefully the primetime shows are good quality at least (Modern Marvels, Lost Worlds tonight).

#9 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:30 AM

:nono2: History channel could have won the cookie this morning if they had shown Mohicans in true HD. Instead they win the Golden Fart for showing the worst Stretch-O-Vision around.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#10 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:53 AM

Im willing to bet the only HD show on History HD will be Ice Road Truckers..

#11 OFFLINE   mrhowes

mrhowes

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:01 AM

Remember, they can only broadcast HD programs that were filmed in HD. Was LOTM filmed in HD? How many programs were filmed in HD??

In time we will start seeing a lot more programs...filmed in HD.

Let the HD times roll!!!!:sure:

#12 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

Last of the Mohicans... blech blech blech. Just plain awful. If I were their engineers, I'd be embarrassed. They should be ashamed of themselves.

#13 OFFLINE   BdoUK

BdoUK

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

Remember, they can only broadcast HD programs that were filmed in HD. Was LOTM filmed in HD? How many programs were filmed in HD??

LOTM was filmed on 35mm so it has far more resolution than HD. That being said there should be a HD version of LOTM out there but for whatever reason The History Channel hasn't gotten their hands on it yet.

#14 OFFLINE   mpoyner

mpoyner

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:24 AM

Films are not shot with HD cameras (well, rarely). They are tranferred from film to whatever format is needed. There is no excuse for using a VHS pan-and-scan copy from Grandpa's basement as a scan source.

#15 OFFLINE   Skooz

Skooz

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:25 AM

My guess is that SD shows will look like this (grainy and stretched) and HD shows will be, well, HD.

Looking over the guide, I see many shows that have no "HD" beside their names. I assume they will look bad, as well.

Interestingly, I saw that while several episodes of "Dogfights" have the "HD" by them, many others do not.

#16 OFFLINE   jrmichael

jrmichael

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

Looks upconverted and grainy. Hopefully, will get true HD programming.
AU9 Dish SL3-S LNB - DECA - (1) HR24-500 (1) HR20-700 (1) HR21-200 Samsung HPT-5034 50" Plasma (HDMI - HR24) Sony 42" LCD (HDMI - HR21) Samsung 42" Plasma (HDMI - HR20)

#17 OFFLINE   LMUBill

LMUBill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:53 AM

Films are not shot with HD cameras (well, rarely). They are tranferred from film to whatever format is needed. There is no excuse for using a VHS pan-and-scan copy from Grandpa's basement as a scan source.

Especially when it is a very bad pan-and-scan which is then stretched again to fit 16x9. It's SUPER STRETCH-O-VISION!!

#18 OFFLINE   wonko

wonko

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

Especially when it is a very bad pan-and-scan which is then stretched again to fit 16x9. It's SUPER STRETCH-O-VISION!!

Wait until you get to see some original 16:9 content that was letterboxed to 4:3 SD and then History stretches it back to 16:9. Really stupid looking. I don't know who they're trying to fool.

So, I invite all the new D* HD subs to join myself and other E* subs who have been complaining to A&E networks.

#19 OFFLINE   nlk10010

nlk10010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:50 AM

Im willing to bet the only HD show on History HD will be Ice Road Truckers..

Following up on wonko's post, I'll take that bet. Filmed in HD by History Channel's own admission, broadcast in wack-o-vision.

It really is better for us E* and D* subs to cooperate in trying to get these two jokes of a channel (A&E-HD and History-HD) to actually broadcast the HD they DO have in that format than it is to snipe at each other about who is more well-endowed.

I STILL can't help believing that there is some additional cost to a channel to actually broadcast something in HD. Otherwise, why keep showing stuff filmed in HD in that awful format?

=NLK=

#20 OFFLINE   Halr

Halr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

Following up on wonko's post, I'll take that bet. Filmed in HD by History Channel's own admission, broadcast in wack-o-vision.

It really is better for us E* and D* subs to cooperate in trying to get these two jokes of a channel (A&E-HD and History-HD) to actually broadcast the HD they DO have in that format than it is to snipe at each other about who is more well-endowed.I (just tI STILL can't help believing that there is some additional cost to a channel to actually broadcast something in HD. Otherwise, why keep showing stuff filmed in HD in that awful format?
=NLK=

If the original was filmed in 35mm or above, there is more than enough quality to attain an HD conversion. However, they have to be converted. It is an expensive,
process to convert film to digital HD (conversion tools are in excess of $500,000, for broadcast quality). It also takes quite a bit of process time, and post production time, sound sync, ect. to convert the older films to true HD quality. In the mean time, they look like they are electronically upconverting SD to HD, in an attempt to broadcast in what we all want to see, HD. I fully believe that they will convert existing shows into true HD as fast as they can, and electronically convert what they can until then. Discovery networks are just as we are, all be it on a larger scale, as far as all this costs a tremendous amount of money, and they will have to absorb it. They can only do so much, in a day, and it all costs alot. There wasn't a separate HD LOTM. We will be seeing the same programming simul-casted in SD and HD on the duplicated channels, most likely electronically upconverted to try to attain HD on the new channel. Bear with the broadcasters a little, especially Discovery and like, as they have huge libraries of real film and digital "film" that will have to be converted up to true HD. As time goes, we will see more and more High Quality HD, as they catch up. Discovery Threater, which was designed to be HD from the beginning, is a kick A** channel, and given time, I am sure all of their channels will be that quality. But I for one wouldn't want all that HD programming duplicated on the Discovery or National Geo. All I am saying is that it isn't costing us any more per month (yet) from what we had, and we have more. Lets cut them some slack, and give them a chance to catch up. ;)
HalR

KD7DYV
Manufacturing Engineer Tc
Southern Oregon

Yes, Dear...

VIP-722k DVR
1000.2 dish

Sharp Aquos LC37D40U
Samsung 37" SD
AntennaCraft 5MS921 OTA
Acutrac22 Tracking Meter
XM Roady II and Audiovox XR9