Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discussion: The History Channel (Channel 269)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ChrisR

ChrisR

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

I'm an E* sub here but was interested in seeing what the DirecTV subs were getting for History HD. There was another thread in the E* forum regarding a fire at History HD's uplink facility earlier in the month; replies from Dish have been that they still don't have things fixed yet (this was as of 9/20). Apparently, this is why we are not getting the full resolution, and their 16:9 material is being stretched w/black bars at top and bottom. Can't believe it would take this long to fix but wish I could get more confirmation on exactly what's going on.

When this channel first launched on E*, the picture was in the correct format - since the reported fire, it has been like you are all describing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

I like how Modern Marvels is stretched letterbox...slightly better than regular stretch.

#23 OFFLINE   wonko

wonko

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:00 PM

Apparently, this is why we are not getting the full resolution, and their 16:9 material is being stretched w/black bars at top and bottom. Can't believe it would take this long to fix but wish I could get more confirmation on exactly what's going on.

No, the fire's not the problem any more. The actual HD material is now being shown correctly (I've seen several shows on both networks the past few days). It's the 4:3 stuff that's getting stretched. The fix after the fire was to show upconverted SD until they could get things fixed.

#24 OFFLINE   jenolen

jenolen

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

I know that the History Channel's new series, "The Universe", was produced in HD. It aired letterboxed, previously... looking forward to seeing that in actual HD! :)

#25 OFFLINE   zipbags

zipbags

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

Im willing to bet the only HD show on History HD will be Ice Road Truckers..

Sweet! Hugh "the Polar Bear" Rowland in High Def!! :eek2: :lol:

Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

Anyone else seeing an overscan issue on the History channel? I'm seeing an alternating white and black line on my Panasonic (see sig for more details there). I used to see that occasionally on HBOHD when I was watching SD programming via HDMI on my older 42" Panny, but not over component. That problem went away with my newer 58" Panny. Am I the only one seeing this?

Also, getting a fair amount of pixelation - picture break up on THCHD.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, Optical Audio to Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 3.41/.71 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#27 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

Sweet! Hugh "the Polar Bear" Rowland in High Def!! :eek2: :lol:

Posted Image

How is this show ? Have not seen it yet?
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#28 OFFLINE   GP_23

GP_23

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

:nono2: History channel could have won the cookie this morning if they had shown Mohicans in true HD. Instead they win the Golden Fart for showing the worst Stretch-O-Vision around.

That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!:goodjob:
I am a HD Spoiled Brat!

#29 OFFLINE   HD AV

HD AV

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

We really should band together to have Stretch-O-Vision eliminated. Show Upconverted SD in OAR side bars and all. It will look a heck of a lot better than when stretched and better than the SD original if the upconverting equipment isn't made in China and bought for next to nothing. Stretch-O-Vision makes me nauseous, literally. I can not watch it. Any HD channel using it I refuse to watch, and if everyone that dislikes it did the same, the ratings would force them to change.
Slimline Dish
LR - Sony 60" XBR2 SXRD
HR20-700
5.1 DD w/Pro. JBL Studio Reference Monitors
2 Velodine SPL 1200s
BR - H20-600
Sony KDL-40S2010
Yamaha Stereo Amp
Bose 901s

#30 OFFLINE   nlk10010

nlk10010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

If the original was filmed in 35mm or above, there is more than enough quality to attain an HD conversion. However, they have to be converted. It is an expensive,...-snip-

Sorry, don't quite get this. Are you saying that "filmed with HD cameras" (the tout for IRT) doesn't mean it can be BROADCAST in HD without further massaging? Are you saying that no station is recording in a manner that doesn't require further processing before the show can be broadcast in HD?

How then would you explain shows that are broadcast in HD one time and then in stretched/letterboxed format another (same episode)?

=NLK=

#31 OFFLINE   Citivas

Citivas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

Remember, they can only broadcast HD programs that were filmed in HD. Was LOTM filmed in HD? How many programs were filmed in HD??

In time we will start seeing a lot more programs...filmed in HD.

Let the HD times roll!!!!:sure:

LOTM was shot on film. They can show any feature shot on film in HD if they do a proper transfer. If this wasn't true, there wouldn't even be a point to all the Starz HD channels, HDNet, etc. which are almost all programs that originated on film.

BTW, no one "films" in HD -- they shot in HD. And this is mostly only relevant to TV shows not movies (except for a few new digitally shot movies like SW:ROTS, etc...)

#32 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

The real HD stuff produced in 16:9 looks nice. But man, the stretch-o-vision created by modifying 4:3 pictures is just horrible. I'd prefer to see the pillars on each side over that...
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#33 OFFLINE   bjdraw

bjdraw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

What a disappointment, the biggest kick in the head is that some of the stretched content is marked as HD in the guide.
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?
Ben
Engadget HD

#34 OFFLINE   jdmac29

jdmac29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

The Lost World show looks great to me in HD, no stretching that I can see. I switched to the sd channel that is in letter box format.

#35 OFFLINE   ChrisR

ChrisR

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:16 PM

With the stretched letterboxed programming, why could they not simply upconvert an SD letterboxed program to their HD feed and format the picture so that the aspect ratio fits entirely on a 16:9 display? There is no need to put black bars at the top and bottom and stretch out the content in the center - I've never seen anything like it.

#36 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

Stretched letterbox........... NOT acceptable!

Aspect ratio is not a “feature”; please broadcast the shows in their original aspect ratio.

I refuse to watch distorted shows.

Please take notes from HDnet. The king of HD.

#37 OFFLINE   bafuerst

bafuerst

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:57 PM

Please everyone here go to http://www.history.c...om&NetwCode=THC and let them know that you are not happy with the stretched picture.

I can't believe that someone a A&E Television networks thinks that stretched letterboxed content looks good. Why wouldn't they at least crop it?

#38 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:27 PM

ugh! Stretching leterboxed content, oh my god why would they do this?

Just zoom in and fill the screen like Discovery HD does.

I am totally amazed that a broadcast company makes such stupid decisions like this. Why does this make any since?

#39 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:30 PM

I filled out that web form, I don't expect much but I wanted to let them know that I will not watch any programs presented in that format.

#40 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

Please everyone here go to http://www.history.c...om&NetwCode=THC and let them know that you are not happy with the stretched picture.

I can't believe that someone a A&E Television networks thinks that stretched letterboxed content looks good. Why wouldn't they at least crop it?

Thanks for posting the link. I just shot them my comments.

spam firewall