Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discussion: The History Channel (Channel 269)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   jl1718

jl1718

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

Anyone catch Dogfights today? May have been my imagination, but it looked fantastic.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

Some of those shows look beautiful though... like the newer Modern Marvels episodes...

THE UNIVERSE starts in one hour, and I know that was filmed in HD... not to mention it's an AMAZING show, so I suggest everyone record it or watch it... :D

#53 OFFLINE   jtcrusader

jtcrusader

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

I am watching i"The Universe" right now...great looking...except for the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. What the heck is with that?
A-V Gear.
[B]Slimline Dish...No multi-switch
Radio Shack 15-2187 Antenna for local HD
H20-600 w/ component cables
Pany TH50PZ80 Plasma
Pany SA-HT900 Home Theater
HIRD-E1 Recievers (2). Wife's sewing room and son's BR
Pany PT-53WX42F RPTV in basement
GAEBOA in Master BR.

#54 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

Universe doesn't look HD at all really. It looks stretched. I hope Human Weapon is in HD, but I'm not holding my breath.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#55 OFFLINE   wonko

wonko

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

I am watching i"The Universe" right now...great looking...except for the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. What the heck is with that?

Yes, you're experiencing the famous A&E/History "Stupid Stretch-o-Vision". That's where they take a 16:9 program that was letterboxed for 4:3 SD and then stretch it back out to 16:9. Pretty sweet huh?

If you're not enjoying it, like the brainless sheep they think we are, please let them know at ae.viewerrelations@AETV.com.

#56 OFFLINE   flippedout

flippedout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

I'm watching The Universe right now too and it is definitely stretch-o-vision. While I understand there is not a lot of "HD Content" out there, do they really need to stretch a letterbox program? Just looks awful. I sent my thoughts to the previously provided link. Thanks for sharing that, everyone needs to send in a comment. http://www.history.c...om&NetwCode=THC

#57 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:45 PM

Human Weapon is in HD. Phew!
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#58 OFFLINE   SnowManson

SnowManson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

Anyone catch Dogfights today? May have been my imagination, but it looked fantastic.

Dogfights in HD was for me the most anticipated show with the new HD launch and it didn't disappoint. I guess not all of the episodes are HD but the one I saw this morning that was couldn't have looked better.

#59 OFFLINE   bafuerst

bafuerst

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:21 PM

Yesterday I was watching an HD program (can’t remember which one), anyways right after it ended the next show that was not in HD was properly cropped. Then about 5 or 10 seconds into the show they did what I can best describe as an anamorphic squeeze I used to do on my old 4:3 TV when watching letterbox DVD’s. Why!

I will say that their HD programming does look great though.

#60 OFFLINE   ejd

ejd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:08 PM

Great looking? I thought it was horrible. I'll stick to the SD version instead of the stretched Universe. I was really looking forward to this too. I guess eventually they'll get a clue.

#61 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:21 AM

I was surprised by that as well!! Back when I watched the SD versions, it said "Filmed in HD" at the beginning of the program, but now it looks all stretched out AND letterboxed.

What's the deal?!? :nono2:

#62 OFFLINE   geoliquid

geoliquid

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

Yes, you're experiencing the famous A&E/History "Stupid Stretch-o-Vision". That's where they take a 16:9 program that was letterboxed for 4:3 SD and then stretch it back out to 16:9. Pretty sweet huh?

If you're not enjoying it, like the brainless sheep they think we are, please let them know at ae.viewerrelations@AETV.com.

OMG! this was pissing me off. some of my favorite shows are on this channel.
What kind of idiot in thier control room stretches material already in the 16:9 format?! Come On! :nono2: :nono2:
I get the whole argument about stretching 4:3 material. some people like it and some don't But I'm positive that even the 4:3 stretch people have to disagree with the butchering of great looking 16:9 content. :confused:
"hey knuckle head in the control room! hit the crop button, not the stretch button on 16:9 content!"
/rant

#63 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

Unless the AETV people can be bothered to respond to the complaints and explain their decision, I would surmise that the engineering people were completely out of the loop, and the call was made by the marketing department to cater to the lowest common denominator. Either that or they think their viewers are stupid.

#64 OFFLINE   atdauph

atdauph

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

Band of Brothers is stretched. Looks horrible. What a waste of bandwidth! :(

#65 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:14 PM

no it isn't

#66 OFFLINE   tony7521

tony7521

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

no it isn't

Yeah, Band of Brothers is in Stetch-o-vision....what a bummer...i can't watch it either.

#67 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

no it is NOT

#68 OFFLINE   jtcrusader

jtcrusader

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

It looks fine to me...much clearer than the other 8-9 times I have watched it on THC.
A-V Gear.
[B]Slimline Dish...No multi-switch
Radio Shack 15-2187 Antenna for local HD
H20-600 w/ component cables
Pany TH50PZ80 Plasma
Pany SA-HT900 Home Theater
HIRD-E1 Recievers (2). Wife's sewing room and son's BR
Pany PT-53WX42F RPTV in basement
GAEBOA in Master BR.

#69 OFFLINE   tony7521

tony7521

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

no it is NOT

Ok, sounds good. I'm looking at my Band of Brothers DVD Set and it says 16:9 on all the DVDs. Why would the presentation on HIST HD have letterbox bars on my 16:9 TV if it was filmed in 16:9?

#70 OFFLINE   C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:35 PM

Ok, sounds good. I'm looking at my Band of Brothers DVD Set and it says 16:9 on all the DVDs. Why would the presentation on HIST HD have letterbox bars on my 16:9 TV if it was filmed in 16:9?

Yes Band of Brothers looked a mess. This could have so easily looked good if they had just shown it in HD in the correct aspect ratio. Boggles the mind.

#71 OFFLINE   tgewin

tgewin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:45 PM

I've watched a few shows on History HD now that were clearly shot in 16:9, letterboxed for 4:3 and then stretched to be the width of 16:9, while leaving the letterbox bars on top and bottom. This is pretty silly of them. I tried to find a contact link on their website, but it just sent me to a FAQ that only allows me to pick from a list of pre-set questions. I can't find an address to send an email to complain about the crappy "strech-o-vision". Anybody have an email address we can load up with complaints? A high-up individual at History Channel would be ideal, but a generic comment line will work too.

#72 OFFLINE   wonko

wonko

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

Anybody have an email address we can load up with complaints? A high-up individual at History Channel would be ideal, but a generic comment line will work too.

ae.viewerrelations@AETV.com. See my post #55 above.

#73 OFFLINE   pmalve

pmalve

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

Band of Brothers was much better on HBOHD!!!!

#74 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

It was HD all the way... I recorded one show and it was supposedly also HD.
It was stretched to the edges with black bars on the top and bottom. If I switched the aspect on my TV from 16:9 TO 4:3, it looked like a normal 16:9 picture. Although it now has black bars on the top, bottom and sides. A&E
was the same way.

But for this recent DogFights and the Comet disaster program they were both HD in proper 16:9 aspect. Very cool indeed.

#75 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:13 PM

The Alaska show last night was stretched letterbox. So trying to watch on an SD TV, it was doubly letterboxed. :mad:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...